Have you purchased a new Mac Mini M1?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you’re one of the people who’ve purchased the new Mac Mini M1, what do you think of it and which storage option did you get?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, I went ahead and purchase a new Mac mini M1 and these are my findings thus far:

1. Ultra Quiet
2. Fast, and I mean FAST
3. Set up was a breeze
4. Works seamlessly with my Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad
5. Instantly recognized an old monitor that I've had for years.
6. This is a keeper, for sure...:)

etad putta

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I picked one up about a month or so back. 256 gb model. Fast, cool, quiet. No more Hackintosh for me at this price point. Our son got the same model as well and he is very pleased also! I'm not sure where the engine picture came from, can someone please remove it. Thanks!

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I picked one up about a month or so back. 256 gb model. Fast, cool, quiet. No more Hackintosh for me at this price point. Our son got the same model as well and he is very pleased also! I'm not sure where the engine picture came from, can someone please remove it. Thanks!

That’s awesome and I’m glad you both are enjoying it.

circatee

Feb 22, 2021
Visit site
On 16th Feb 2021, I purchased a Mac Mini M1, 8GB, 512GB, from Best Buy locally.
But, honestly, this entire time I have been working on various issues:
- Bluetooth stuttering with the mouse (MX Master)
- HDMI connection intermittent
- The debate of 8GB vs. 16GB memory
- Initially trying to find a 16GB memory unit locally

Today, 22nd Feb, might be the first day I can start to simply use the unit and see how I feel overall about it.
I solved the Bluetooth issue (Logitech Keys keyboard and MX Master mouse) by having a unified dongle connected. Initially wanted to use Bluetooth, since I was using the dongle on my Windows PC. Eventually found another dongle. Thus, now using a dongle on the Windows PC and one on the Mac Mini.

So, let's see how the following few days go, then I can decide if I will keep the unit. I will add, this thing is FAST!
My aim is to merely learn Mac OS, and possibly learn iMovie editing. Windows will probably remain my core device...

circatee

Feb 22, 2021
Visit site
Well, I went ahead and purchase a new Mac mini M1 and these are my findings thus far:

1. Ultra Quiet
2. Fast, and I mean FAST
3. Set up was a breeze
4. Works seamlessly with my Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad
5. Instantly recognized an old monitor that I've had for years.
6. This is a keeper, for sure...:)

A month later, are you still enjoying the Mac Mini M1 @Just_Me_D ?
Also, any issues with Bluetooth?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
A month later, are you still enjoying the Mac Mini M1 @Just_Me_D ?
Also, any issues with Bluetooth?
I am still enjoying my Mac Mini so much so that I have my 2017 MacBook Pro to a family member who needed a laptop. Thus far, I haven’t experienced any Bluetooth issues, but I did experience a couple of days in which it would wake from sleep mode, but it’s been a while and haven’t happened since.

circatee

Feb 22, 2021
Visit site
I am still enjoying my Mac Mini so much so that I have my 2017 MacBook Pro to a family member who needed a laptop. Thus far, I haven’t experienced any Bluetooth issues, but I did experience a couple of days in which it would wake from sleep mode, but it’s been a while and haven’t happened since.

Ah, thanks for the feedback. A lot has happened since my post to you.
Resetting to factory as we speak, for return to the shop. A shame, but, that's how it goes sometimes...

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Ah, thanks for the feedback. A lot has happened since my post to you.
Resetting to factory as we speak, for return to the shop. A shame, but, that's how it goes sometimes...
Indeed….and I hope when you get it back, you won’t have any issues because it really is a nice piece of hardware.

Bla1ze

Staff member
Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
If you’re one of the people who’ve purchased the new Mac Mini M1, what do you think of it and which storage option did you get?

Love mine, have had absolutely zero issue with it since day with the exception of running MacOS beta's which I know are a minefield of bugs.

16GB/256GB

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Love mine, have had absolutely zero issue with it since day with the exception of running MacOS beta's which I know are a minefield of bugs.

16GB/256GB

Same here. My M1 Mac Mini has been the best Mac I’ve owned. The speed is amazing, you never hear it, it has plenty of ports, and it works with both old and new displays and other peripherals.

sleepngbear

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I’m on my second Mini, but it’s getting a little long in the tooth - 9 years old now and limited as to what OS updates it will take. So I’m thinking of looking into Mini #3. Anybody that’s gotten a new M1 model upgrade from an older Mac? Just wondering how the restore process went. I’m running MS Office 360 now - any issues upgrading? I’m sure I can find most if not all of the apps I need, but I’ve got a crapload of data in MS Word format that I’d rather not have to convert to something else.

Last edited:

sleepngbear

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
One more callout (and maybe a coincidental bump) on this subject. I’m this close to pulling the trigger on a M1 Mac Mini. Curiously, it I order the 8gb RAM option I can get it in one day, but 16gb will take almost two weeks. I don’t do any real power computing any more, just the occasional photo editing, and maybe try dabbling in Logic pro some time down the road. Otherwise I have a crapload of docs and old photos and a few other odds and ends, so I think I’d be fine with 8gb. I use MS Office 365 for documents and spreadsheets, just because they’re more compatible with the rest of the world than Pages and Numbers. I primarily use Firefox for browsing and Thunderbird for email. It appears the Bluetooth issues have been pretty much resolved with OS updates. Keyboard is an Apple USB, with an Apple Bluetooth Magic Mouse. Time Machine backup is on a Seagate 1TB USB hard drive. Is there anything in particular I need to watch out for or be aware of in restoring and transitioning to a M1 machine?

sleepngbear

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Well I done did it. M1 Mini, 512gb SSD, 8gb RAM, because I didn’t feel like waiting until sometime in December if I wanted 16gb, and everything I’ve read says 8gb should run just fine for what I’ll be doing with it. In the 9 years I’ve had the last Mini, I’ve used up a total of 164gb of drive space, so 512gb should do me just fine. The restore from Time Machine took about 90 minutes, then another couple of hours upgrading the OS to Monterey. Then I spent another hour bagging old apps that haven’t run since several OS’s ago.

It’s a pretty slick little machine, quick and dead quiet. All the basic apps I use run natively and are very snappy, a couple that need Rosetta seem to run just fine. I’m still using the old school wired keyboard in one USB port, and I had a 4-port USB hub that handles my other external stuff (Time Machine drive and printer); if I ever need more, I’ll either grab a bigger hub or get stuff that uses the thunderbolt ports.

All in all, I’m thinking this should satisfy my computing needs for a good long time.

circatee

Feb 22, 2021
Visit site
Well I done did it. M1 Mini, 512gb SSD, 8gb RAM, because I didn’t feel like waiting until sometime in December if I wanted 16gb, and everything I’ve read says 8gb should run just fine for what I’ll be doing with it. In the 9 years I’ve had the last Mini, I’ve used up a total of 164gb of drive space, so 512gb should do me just fine. The restore from Time Machine took about 90 minutes, then another couple of hours upgrading the OS to Monterey. Then I spent another hour bagging old apps that haven’t run since several OS’s ago.

It’s a pretty slick little machine, quick and dead quiet. All the basic apps I use run natively and are very snappy, a couple that need Rosetta seem to run just fine. I’m still using the old school wired keyboard in one USB port, and I had a 4-port USB hub that handles my other external stuff (Time Machine drive and printer); if I ever need more, I’ll either grab a bigger hub or get stuff that uses the thunderbolt ports.

All in all, I’m thinking this should satisfy my computing needs for a good long time.

Nicely done. Did you happen to check Costco (if in the US) for the Mac Mini M1? They typically have it for $70+ off.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Congratulations on getting your new M1 Mac Mini and I’m glad you like it. I’ve had mine for a while now and I still enjoy using it. Like you’ve stated, it is dead quiet and fast. It truly is an amazing computer in my opinion.

sleepngbear

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Since my Seagate drive I’ve been using for a time machine backup is getting a little long in the tooth, I grabbed a Seagate Portable 2TB to replace it. Tiny little thing, USB powered so no separate power cord, and as quiet as the dead-silent Mini. Took all of about 2 minutes to get connected and formatted for Time Machine, and the first full backup took about an hour. Seems to be working just fine. Since it’s strictly for backups, I don’t care about blazing speed, though it chugs along just fine. If I get the same service time out of it as the last one, I’ll be a happy user. For now, I like it so much, I bought a 5TB model for my wife’s iMac - her backup drive is older than mine. 5TB in a box the size of a big cell phone. Unbelievable how much storage they can squeeze into such a small space these days.

Funny thing … I remember way back when PC’s first started coming with internal hard drives, when all the rage was 20 MEG of space, a coworker bought one with 30 mb, and my exact words were, ‘what would anybody ever need all that space for.” Indeed.

circatee

Feb 22, 2021
Visit site
Funny thing … I remember way back when PC’s first started coming with internal hard drives, when all the rage was 20 MEG of space, a coworker bought one with 30 mb, and my exact words were, ‘what would anybody ever need all that space for.” Indeed.

Ah, those were the days. And, look at the options available now. Coming to think of it, I have a 2TB LaCie drive. Need to switch it from my Windows PC to my Mac Mini M1 for backups and such...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711