Late 2012 Mac Mini Server Issue

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a late 2012 Mac Mini server. Recently it crashed and I formatted the second HDD and booted it from that drive. After a couple of days it too crashed and now I can't access either HDD in recovery. Could this be as easy as replacing the HDD or would there be more to it as both drives crashed? It seems too coincidental that I'm having the same issue on both drives so I'm curious what more it could be?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That’s hard to say. I mean, 2 hard drives crashing days apart in the same system? Are you certain that neither drive is detectable via the Disk Utility app?

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
That’s hard to say. I mean, 2 hard drives crashing days apart in the same system?

That's too coincidental for me, which is why I haven't just replaced the HHDs with an SSD. If there's a larger issue I'm not going to waste my money.
Are you certain that neither drive is detectable via the Disk Utility app?

Yes, I am certain. When I go into recovery neither drive is there. In the past one or both would be grayed out and not selectable. This is what leads me to believe that it's something more involved than the HDDs as this just happened suddenly.