Is anyone using a Mac Mini as a "desktop computer"? From a pricing standpoint, I'm looking at getting one to use at work (email, Office, software testing Mac apps for pro a/v use) but wouldn't be used for Photoshop or video editing (my MBP takes care of that).

This way I could use my own monitors, keyboard and mouse.

Thoughts?
    04-04-2018 11:53 AM
    I'm sure there are people who are and hopefully, they'll reply soon, sir.
    04-04-2018 05:19 PM
    I have a friend who uses one as his main computer. It works well enough for him. His day job is working as a graphic designer for a magazine publisher, so he uses a high-end Mac with all the latest Adobe software by day and a Mac mini by night, sometimes doing freelance work.

You could use your own monitors, keyboard & mouse on a MBP. Perhaps you have a need for an additional machine? And if so, why not an iMac? The newest Mac minis date from 2014. It is getting a little ridiculous to consider buying them new, especially when the one without the slow processor starts at $699. And the RAM isn't upgradeable, so the prudent thing to do is to get 16GB of RAM to start with for + $200. So now you're at about $900 for a 4-year-old machine with a 1 TB spinning rust hard drive.

A refurbished iMac wouldn't be a lot more money but would be a lot more machine. I know Apple teases the Mac mini at $499, but that's for a 1.4Ghz dual core i5 with only 4GB of RAM and 500GB of HD. I sorta see it as a disservice that Apple is still selling that new.

A good deal on a used one, however, might make the math work out in favor of a mini.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-06-2018 04:19 PM
    I have a friend who uses one as his main computer. It works well enough for him. His day job is working as a graphic designer for a magazine publisher, so he uses a high-end Mac with all the latest Adobe software by day and a Mac mini by night, sometimes doing freelance work.

You could use your own monitors, keyboard & mouse on a MBP. Perhaps you have a need for an additional machine? And if so, why not an iMac? The newest Mac minis date from 2014. It is getting a little ridiculous to consider buying them new, especially when the one without the slow processor starts at $699. And the RAM isn't upgradeable, so the prudent thing to do is to get 16GB of RAM to start with for + $200. So now you're at about $900 for a 4-year-old machine with a 1 TB spinning rust hard drive.

A refurbished iMac wouldn't be a lot more money but would be a lot more machine. I know Apple teases the Mac mini at $499, but that's for a 1.4Ghz dual core i5 with only 4GB of RAM and 500GB of HD. I sorta see it as a disservice that Apple is still selling that new.

A good deal on a used one, however, might make the math work out in favor of a mini.
    The #1 reason is cost. I can probably "sell" a sub-$1k computer to management a whole lot easier than I can a $1.5k model. And since I can use my own monitor(s) and will only be using it for email, web, and Office, I don't really need a Cadillac since I already have my MBP.
    04-07-2018 12:29 PM