Mac Mini as desktop computer

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Is anyone using a Mac Mini as a "desktop computer"? From a pricing standpoint, I'm looking at getting one to use at work (email, Office, software testing Mac apps for pro a/v use) but wouldn't be used for Photoshop or video editing (my MBP takes care of that).

This way I could use my own monitors, keyboard and mouse.

Thoughts?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure there are people who are and hopefully, they'll reply soon, sir.

dcoke22

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
I have a friend who uses one as his main computer. It works well enough for him. His day job is working as a graphic designer for a magazine publisher, so he uses a high-end Mac with all the latest Adobe software by day and a Mac mini by night, sometimes doing freelance work.

You could use your own monitors, keyboard & mouse on a MBP. Perhaps you have a need for an additional machine? And if so, why not an iMac? The newest Mac minis date from 2014. It is getting a little ridiculous to consider buying them new, especially when the one without the slow processor starts at $699. And the RAM isn't upgradeable, so the prudent thing to do is to get 16GB of RAM to start with for + $200. So now you're at about $900 for a 4-year-old machine with a 1 TB spinning rust hard drive.

A refurbished iMac wouldn't be a lot more money but would be a lot more machine. I know Apple teases the Mac mini at $499, but that's for a 1.4Ghz dual core i5 with only 4GB of RAM and 500GB of HD. I sorta see it as a disservice that Apple is still selling that new.

A good deal on a used one, however, might make the math work out in favor of a mini.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I have a friend who uses one as his main computer. It works well enough for him. His day job is working as a graphic designer for a magazine publisher, so he uses a high-end Mac with all the latest Adobe software by day and a Mac mini by night, sometimes doing freelance work.

You could use your own monitors, keyboard & mouse on a MBP. Perhaps you have a need for an additional machine? And if so, why not an iMac? The newest Mac minis date from 2014. It is getting a little ridiculous to consider buying them new, especially when the one without the slow processor starts at $699. And the RAM isn't upgradeable, so the prudent thing to do is to get 16GB of RAM to start with for + $200. So now you're at about $900 for a 4-year-old machine with a 1 TB spinning rust hard drive.

A refurbished iMac wouldn't be a lot more money but would be a lot more machine. I know Apple teases the Mac mini at $499, but that's for a 1.4Ghz dual core i5 with only 4GB of RAM and 500GB of HD. I sorta see it as a disservice that Apple is still selling that new.

A good deal on a used one, however, might make the math work out in favor of a mini.

The #1 reason is cost. I can probably "sell" a sub-$1k computer to management a whole lot easier than I can a $1.5k model. And since I can use my own monitor(s) and will only be using it for email, web, and Office, I don't really need a Cadillac since I already have my MBP.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm using it, mac mini 2014 (i5 ; 1.4 gHz ; RAM 4GB), high sierra, using LG 24" led monitor

some lagging for sure, but nothing to complaint

and worst lagging while loading MS Office 2016, and it impacts totally to all other operation, meaning, it totally un usable. Not sure why and still trying to figure it out

Kilwillie

May 4, 2017
Visit site
My desktop is a Mini with the 2.6 ghz i5, 8GB RAM, and 1TB hard drive. Been running High Sierra on it since December with no problems. Runs fairly quick and smooth. I mostly use it for web browsing, processing my photos, and occasional TV/video. Photoshop CS6 runs with no issues. I also have a few games although I don't play that often.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Just picked on up I use it in my bedroom on my 55” 4 k tv and it works great with cordless keyboard and mouse from my bed you can’t beat it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234