Want to get a Mac Mini as a glorified Apple TV. Questions

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
So I'm thinking of hooking this thing up to a TV in my home and using it as a glorified Apple TV. I have some questions:

Is it at all possible to control this thing with a remote to navigate, select, rewind, pause, etc or am I restricted to using a pad for that?

Inputting text I'm sure most certainly would require a keyboard, right? Or perhaps some kind of app on my phone similar to the remote app for the Apple TV can work?

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I prefer not to use either of those and instead the options I was hoping for.

So nothing outside of keyboard and mouse, huh?

My boss uses this setup at his house: 4 TV's, 4 Mac Minis, 4 Apple Keybaords, 4 Magic Mice, All on a server connected in different rooms. Actually works quite well. You can definitely set up an iPad to control your TV through your Mac Mini. I also believe the Apple TV remote can be programmed to work with the Mac Mini, but don't hold me to that.

KarlDag

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
The Apple Remote works perfectly with a Mac Mini. It's actually completely interchangeable with the AppleTV's remote. I use my Mini as a HTPC and Plex server, and when using Plex to watch my media I use the remote, works great.

The only issue I have sometimes is an issue with the HDMI handshake... sometimes I'll turn everything on but the Mini won't show up on my TV. Either I have to unplug/repluf HDMI, or mess around with my receiver, switching it to another source and back and eventually it works. Haven't figured out why yet...

KarlDag

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Little follow up : Yosemite has fixed my HDMI handshake issues. The mini is once again perfect as a htpc. Have fun with yours, especially since they just announced a new model!

PS I wouldn't get the new base model, CPU sounds really weak. Get the 2nd one.

KarlDag

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
PPS Putting in a SSD also makes a world of difference. If you're even only slightly handy this is something you can swap yourself in a while if you want, much cheaper than Apple's option. You can even keep the included HDD as a 2nd drive with a special SATA wire sold on eBay. YouTube videos are easy to find.

towusop

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
A OSX nubbie with a question that I think fits here. I was thinking of adding a mac mini to my TV for the main purpose of using it as a living room facetime machine. Do any of you all have experience using the Mac Mini in the living room like this?

KarlDag

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
A OSX nubbie with a question that I think fits here. I was thinking of adding a mac mini to my TV for the main purpose of using it as a living room facetime machine. Do any of you all have experience using the Mac Mini in the living room like this?
No, but I'm certain this would work as long as you don't forget to buy a webcam ;) sounds expensive just for this purpose though...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner