I have a late 2013 13" Macbook pro which seems to get a lot of great publicity and talk but I also have a Mac Mini which I upgraded with 8 Gig of RAM and a Samsung SSD which is now beating the living tar out of the Macbook Pro. I hear all the time about Mac Minis being good for small business servers and such but rarely are they even mentioned about being a solid desktop replacement. I have run tons of tests and also just the feel (user experience) of the mini is solidly spanking the Macbook Pro retina. I have yet to see any drawbacks with the exception of a killer video card...does anyone feel the like the Mini is missing the hype boat all together like I do?
    10-11-2014 08:26 PM
    I think it gets the least publicity and it doesn't get the chance to shine in the spotlight
    Edward Wallace likes this.
    10-11-2014 09:19 PM
    What kind of "wrap" should it be wrapped in?

The Mac Mini is a solid performer. My first ever Mac was a Mini way back around 2005. It took me a number of years to actually make the change (was completed in 2010). But I currently have a 2012 Mini that I use to serve up all iTunes media to computers and AppleTVs in my house. I have seen others post on these forums of similar uses.

I know of some heavy duty users who buy them by the truckload for their video rendering operation. Just set em up and let them do their job.
    Edward Wallace likes this.
    10-11-2014 09:27 PM
    What kind of "wrap" should it be wrapped in?

The Mac Mini is a solid performer. My first ever Mac was a Mini way back around 2005. It took me a number of years to actually make the change (was completed in 2010). But I currently have a 2012 Mini that I use to serve up all iTunes media to computers and AppleTVs in my house. I have seen others post on these forums of similar uses.

I know of some heavy duty users who buy them by the truckload for their video rendering operation. Just set em up and let them do their job.
    Yep. I have my 2011 Mac mini set up for a similar use. It runs well and I like it a lot. I like my rMBP better but that's just because I would have to use the Mac mini at a desk and I prefer lounging on the couch with a laptop.
    10-11-2014 10:58 PM
    I have a late 2013 13" Macbook pro which seems to get a lot of great publicity and talk but I also have a Mac Mini which I upgraded with 8 Gig of RAM and a Samsung SSD which is now beating the living tar out of the Macbook Pro. I hear all the time about Mac Minis being good for small business servers and such but rarely are they even mentioned about being a solid desktop replacement. I have run tons of tests and also just the feel (user experience) of the mini is solidly spanking the Macbook Pro retina. I have yet to see any drawbacks with the exception of a killer video card...does anyone feel the like the Mini is missing the hype boat all together like I do?
    It doesnt. It's just not marketed as much, because low margins = low profit. It's a great device, mine is set up as a HTPC and used as a Plex server. I love it. It's the 2011 model, if today's model has a much better CPU i might switch, otherwise I'll wait.
    10-16-2014 03:42 PM
    The only problem I have with my 2012 Mini is that it gets a little hot when running Windows. I haven't noticed a performance hit (especially since I upgraded to Intel drivers) but it is a point of concern as the machine ages.

HD 4000 is a fairly capable graphics chip. It'll be no good for business needs or high-end 3D work of course but it's going to run your games for you (maybe not with the visual quality a hardcore gamer will want though, heh).

I love the fact that it has user-upgradeable RAM and two drive bays. It's a real shame the newer Minis are not as amenable to aftermarket work. I'm planning to run mine until at least the next product cycle now, so 2016 or so.
    11-11-2014 07:07 AM