I have an iPad and an Iphone. My computer is running XP and I am thinking of getting a Mac. I want the big screen and a proper keyboard. I don't want a laptop.

I have absolutely no idea how to use a Mac. I don't even know if you can make folders on a Mac to save documents, like you can on a PC. I assume you would have to be able to do that but I have no idea how. I could probably see if there is information on youtube or is there a Mac for Dummies book that is good? One thing I want to do is use uTorrent and VLC Media player. Do these work on a Mac? Also, I have Word documents (admittedly Word 2003) on my PC and I am wondering if I saved them on a thumb drive, whether I could retrieve them on a Mac or not?

Right now I download UK TV shows on my PC and I transfer them to my iPad using wireless transfer apps. I assume it would be a lot easier if I had the shows on a Mac and I could sync them with my iPad.

I appreciate any advice and comments - thanks!
    04-10-2014 10:56 AM
    I have an iPad and an Iphone. My computer is running XP and I am thinking of getting a Mac. I want the big screen and a proper keyboard. I don't want a laptop.
    Okay

I have absolutely no idea how to use a Mac. I don't even know if you can make folders on a Mac to save documents, like you can on a PC. I assume you would have to be able to do that but I have no idea how.
    When I initially made the transition, I felt the same way, but it didn't take long to make the adjustment. As for creating a folder, yes, it can be done quite easily. Thinking about a Mac-screen-shot-2014-04-10-11.08.17-am.png
    I could probably see if there is information on youtube or is there a Mac for Dummies book that is good?
    I'm sure you can, but the Mac for Dummies book will probably be unnecessary.
    One thing I want to do is use uTorrent and VLC Media player. Do these work on a Mac?
    They are available for the Mac, and I use the VLC player, but not the torrent app. The VLC player works quite well.
    Also, I have Word documents (admittedly Word 2003) on my PC and I am wondering if I saved them on a thumb drive, whether I could retrieve them on a Mac or not?
    Yes.

Right now I download UK TV shows on my PC and I transfer them to my iPad using wireless transfer apps. I assume it would be a lot easier if I had the shows on a Mac and I could sync them with my iPad.
    I'd like to think so, but I don't sync tv shows so I can't speak from experience. Sorry

I appreciate any advice and comments - thanks!
    You're very welcome.
    04-10-2014 11:19 AM
    Thanks for that.

I asked a young guy at Staples and he says he has utorrent and VLC media player on the Mac computer. I understand you can get a Mac that consists of a really small device that I can use with my Samsung monitor and my wireless mouse and solar keyboard so that seems like the way for me to go. He said they have one with 4 gig of RAM for $599.

In the meantime I have copied My Pictures and My Documents onto a thumb drive in case my PC gives up the ghost completely.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-10-2014 08:39 PM