Well I am now looking to bump up the specs on my recently purchased Mini. It seems the only real bottleneck are load times (not that bad but this is the first computer without an SSD that I've used in years). I am wondering if I should bump that RAM first or look to get a different HD.

What is the HD upgrade procedure like on Mac? Do I need to burn a USB recovery drive or does the BIOS know how to fetch an OS X install? Or do I need to clone the old drive first? Data transfer isn't a real issue as I haven't loaded my Mini up yet in anticipation of upgrading that drive (lol at 5400 RPM).

I have gone to Crucial to look at what components to buy but is there anything I need to watch out for or can I just match the specs on Newegg and find something at a price point I find agreeable?

Lastly, any issues with using Boot Camp to install Windows on an external drive or using an external drive as a Windows data monkey? I've been loving OS X but I really need to get a Total War fix and Medieval II does not have a port...
    11-04-2013 09:00 PM
    Ok I come from the PC world so I can't help TOO much, BUT for me getting additional RAM is a great way to speed up a computer without breaking the bank, and it's probably the easiest to install, at least on a PC, but I would imagine it is also on a Mac.
    11-05-2013 02:31 PM
    Most Mac minis can support two hard drives. OWC should have good instructions as I've never done it. But OWC is a good supplier for Mac stuff. As for reloading a boot drive, I'd just make a USB Mavericks installer and after the hard drive installation, boot from the USB (hold Alt during boot).
    11-05-2013 05:50 PM
    Yeah, I had seen that there were some upgrade kits available to add a second drive. I'm somewhat uncomfortable with doing anything more demanding than plugging the device right in but I'll give the video a good watch. I would like to have both OSes on a SSD at least.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    11-05-2013 08:30 PM
    The OWC videos and instructions should be helpful even if you just replace the main drive and don't bother with adding a second. Unfortunately I don't think either are quite as simple as just plugging it in since the Mac mini is small enough that you need to move some stuff to get to the drive.
    11-05-2013 08:33 PM
    Oh really? I haven't opened it up to look at the internals yet. Glad I posted this before I bought something now lol. I'll def have to check out the video on the HDD replacement and see if it is something I feel comfortable doing.

Thanks for the help

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4
    11-06-2013 07:58 AM