Getting the Mac Mini

Peter Cotton

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So I'm finally replacing my ageing Macbook from 2008, and as I have and iPad and iPhone, plus being on a stricter budget now, I've decided on the Mac Mini i5. My question is has anyone ran it withe the 4GB included? How was is? How strongly would people recommend upgrading to 8GB? I will mainly use it for watching movies, browsing the internet, using iWorks and home photos etc. I'd prefer not to fork out the extra but I don't want to compromise on the experience. Thanks for your opinions!

MacintoshDan

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
When I had my 2011 I put the 8 GB of RAM in it. You most likely will be ok with 4, especially when Mavricks comes, but if you have the money 8 is worth it.

Last edited:

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to threadjack but do you have the computer yet? I'd love to hear your impressions on it. I've been figuring on going for the entry model as anything would be an upgrade over my Chromebook lol.

Good to hear RAM is upgradeable by the end user. That makes me a lot more comfortable about going with the cheap model initially. Was not to worried about any spec but the RAM at first TBH

Peter Cotton

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
It's probably too late now but it's fantastic! The upgrade to 8GB was essential IMO, but it was so easy. I would defiantly recommend it for anyone who's on a budget.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
It is to late as I actually bought myself a Mac Mini a few days after making my last post haha!

I've been enjoying my computer a lot over the past couple of weeks. I've actually found the RAM to not be a serious bottleneck. I am a gamer but I mostly play older stuff. I do want to install more RAM eventually to improve performance from my graphics chip but I'm thinking of laying out the cash for an Apple mouse and keyboard or a time capsule first.