How many people use Mac Mini's as HTPCs?

That's what I use mine for and it works great. It's off in a cabinet with an attached 3TB FireWire drive for all my media. So it feeds my 2 Apple TVs and the various other iDevices in the house. I don't even have a monitor attached because if I need to do something I just remote in using the built-in screen sharing. The Mini is the "home" of the Home Sharing network and so it runs all the time and always has iTunes running.
    05-03-2013 09:04 PM
    How many people use Mac Mini's as HTPCs?

That's what I use mine for and it works great. It's off in a cabinet with an attached 3TB FireWire drive for all my media. So it feeds my 2 Apple TVs and the various other iDevices in the house. I don't even have a monitor attached because if I need to do something I just remote in using the built-in screen sharing. The Mini is the "home" of the Home Sharing network and so it runs all the time and always has iTunes running.
    I have a similar setup... my Mini is connected to the TV in my office (along with a DirecTV DVR, an Apple TV and a WD TV Live) and works to serve media (approx 35GB of music and approx 650GB of ripped DVDs) to the Apple TVs in my home (x 4) and iDevices. My media is stored on a Drobo NAS (currently 8TB capacity). Additionally, I have just over 100GB of "home video" stored on the HD of my wife's iMac on the same network, so that, too, is shared across the Apple TVs and iDevices...
    05-03-2013 09:26 PM
    I just saw this, lol. We have a Mac Mini (2010 model) that runs our entire living room home theater, and it's a wonderful thing...It's currently directly running two 2TB hard drives full of stuff, we use it as a main computer for us in our living room but also when people visit (with a guest account of course, lol), and within that, we have it setup for Netflix (works so much better than the Western Digital Live TV units we were using before, effortless menu browsing), Hulu HD stuff, and my wife's company heavily uses Vimeo for media uploads so we watch a lot of HD media from there as well and within safari, it's fantastic. Then there's obviously the web browsing and what not...it's awesome to have such a setup when people visit to put on photo galleries on the TV or looping videos of whatever, and it has also served as a nice secondary backup (the internal drive was swapped out to a 1TB drive and it protectively stores a lot of important stuff for us on a computer that really just pulls really easy media duty 99% of the time.

I couldn't live without it in our home theater, and the fact that the 2010 has the direct HDMi connection along with optical audio was just perfect.
    05-08-2013 05:12 PM