ESET or BitDefender??

The_Prodigy1982

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Every now and then this everlasting topic comes to mind... not only for me unfortunately, but for many people.
I'm doubting which anti-virus package I should take for my OS X?

I just read some reviews on 10 best antivirus for Mac 2016 - Features - Macworld UK , but I'm not sure if they are a reliable , independent source?

- Right now, I'm using ESET Cyber Security Pro (rated #6 in the review), since I like the idea of having an all-in-one security suite (including spam/virus/firewall).
But... as mentioned in the above review, ESET does have a major impact on system performance, which I can definitely confirm!

So now I'm leaning towards BitDefender Antivirus (rated #1), since it seems to have pretty low impact on system performance, and the overall detection rate seems pretty much perfect as well.
But what worries me, is that BitDefender doesn't include any firewall... is this indeed something to worry about, or would the default OS X firewall be sufficient??
-----------

What do you guys recommend me, stick to ESET or switch to BitDefender??
And if the absence of a firewall (in BitDefender) is indeed something that needs to be filled, what firewall
should I use??

Branta

Retired Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
In my experience software firewall is often pointless for home users on a broadband connection. Most DSL routers also function as a simple firewall to block incoming attacks unless you deliberately forward to your computer. Cable is usually similar but needs a closer look to make sure it is doing Network Address Translation. The main benefit to software firewalls is when you have multiple computers on your home network and some are high risk, or you are running an externally visible server on your home network.

However an antivirus solution is still recommended and should be capable of scanning incoming email traffic. This is particularly relevant with the recent increase in ransomware

The_Prodigy1982

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Ok, but I still don't know what you would recommend me...
Sticking to ESET Cyber Security Pro (incl. firewall) or switch to BitDefender Antivirus?

Branta

Retired Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Not recommending any because I have exactly zero experience of Mac antivirus software. What I'm saying is don't get hung up on software firewalls integrated with the AV unless you think there is a risk of attack from inside your router - essentially from within your own wifi LAN.

nck20

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I've been running BitDefender Antivirus (part of the total security package for multiple devices) for 1,5 years now on my 13" MacBook Pro early 2011 (4gb of ram). It's running okay, I'm not really noticing that it's running in the background.

But I have no experience with ESET, so I don't know what the impact is of ESET.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DerekIversion