Did a search for this and came up with nothing really specific so......here goes.

I bought a MacBook Air about 8 months (which I absolutely love!).

On it is the iWork Suite, came preinstalled. You know: pages, numbers, keynote, iphoto, imovie, etc.

I downloaded the trial of the Microsoft Office since that is what I am so used to using (had a PC laptop for years before I got my Mac). Office is really nice, but alas the trial is up. For the sake of $$ it's easier to use what was already pre-loaded. My question is, is it worth it to spend the dollars on Office for compatibility sake? I played with the iWork suite a little bit and find that it seems to be pretty compatible. Wondering if there are any major differences that would be a deal breaker between iWork vs Office?
    07-16-2015 01:22 PM
    They are both an office suite of apps that are similar. The iWorks apps can save files in .doc, .docx, xml, etcetera and I'd like to think vice-versa. I've gotten accustomed to using Apple's app after years of using Microsoft's. Having said that, only you can determine if it is worth spending money to pay for full access to the Microsoft office for Mac suite.
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-16-2015 01:31 PM
    Did a search for this and came up with nothing really specific so......here goes.

I bought a MacBook Air about 8 months (which I absolutely love!).

On it is the iWork Suite, came preinstalled. You know: pages, numbers, keynote, iphoto, imovie, etc.

I downloaded the trial of the Microsoft Office since that is what I am so used to using (had a PC laptop for years before I got my Mac). Office is really nice, but alas the trial is up. For the sake of $$ it's easier to use what was already pre-loaded. My question is, is it worth it to spend the dollars on Office for compatibility sake? I played with the iWork suite a little bit and find that it seems to be pretty compatible. Wondering if there are any major differences that would be a deal breaker between iWork vs Office?
    There are other options, as well. Some of the more commonly known options include Apache Open Office, LibreOffice KOffice and NeoOffice.
    07-16-2015 02:58 PM
    If you are a deep in document, excels and presentation creating and editing, office is the way to go, I'm a Mac and iWork specially page and number user since I think 2010, but since last year, my work require me to use a windows computer, while I learn how to achieve a setup on office excel, I will want to achieve the same set up on numbers but to no avail.
    I think office is very deep for people who are really engage in documents and tables processing while iWork is good to save you at 70% when you don't have office in your mac.
    I read in Steve jobs book that, originally, apple was paying MS to build office for Mac housing all the features of office but with Apple dedicated UI. Steve wanted office only on Mac OSX (not boot camp) my guess is that he admitted some how that office house some powerful formulas that iWork doesn't include.
    So office if you are a core user, else iWork is way enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    07-16-2015 04:55 PM