Dear all,

This problem is driving me nuts...can anyone help?

Problem: I daren't open the applications folder on my mac! If I do, my desktop gets covered in program files shown as "USB stick" style icons (see attached screenshot). Let's say I want to look inside the applications folder, as soon as I go there, these USB stick icons appear and there seems to be one for every program/application that I've ever loaded on the mac. The only way I can see to get rid of them is to drag them individually to the trash...which takes me ages and is SO frustrating!! (Even finding a quicker way to get rid of them would be helpful, if it's not possible to stop them appearing in the first place!). The situation also occurs, for example, if I want to open an email attachment and I don't want it to open with Preview. Imagine wanting to select another application (such as Adobe), as soon as I go to "open with"....it throws all the program file USB stick-style icons on the desktop. Yuck!
    My Mac is running Mavericks and I think the problem might have occurred when I upgraded, but I can't be certain. For sure this quirk didn't exist when we first got the Mac. We went straight from Snow Leopard to Maverick but I didn't upgrade to Mavericks immediately after the update preferring to wait about 8 months. My current work-around is simply to avoid opening or even going anywhere near the applications folder!!
    Any advice you have would be very very very very MUCH appreciated. I am not so technically minded so please try to be gentle with me!
    Ingrid
    Attached Thumbnails Can't open Applications folder without releasing havoc on my dashboard!  Please help!-screen-shot-2015-02-16-19.03.57.jpg  
    02-19-2015 12:52 PM
    With Finder open go to Finder Preferences. There is an option to show external drives on the desktop. Uncheck this.
    hydrogen3 and iyireland like this.
    02-19-2015 01:14 PM
    Hi Karen, thank you so much for your reply. I unchecked the show external disks on the desktop and the disk image icons disappeared...good start :-) BUT I still have the problem of these very strange windows appearing when I touch the application folder (see screenshot - there are 3 the Flashplayer, the blue Firefox one and sonos user agreement which is not shown on the screenshot because the mac gets stuck on the spinning coloured ball until I agree to Sonos terms and conditions and get rid of that window...so can't get a screenshot until I eliminate it).

Also, what about when I need to see an USB stick that I've inserted?? I tried to get around this by checking "show external disks on sidebar", but even with this checked, the usb pen doesn't show up in my sidebar??

Do you have any ideas? Thanks again for your assistance.

Ingrid
    02-20-2015 04:18 AM
    Those extra windows seem to be installer for Firefox, flash, etc. usually after you've installed something, you would just eject it. Most OS X installers are what is called a "disk image" (the file extension is .dmg) and when you open them they show up as an external disk and the app is shown inside the disk image. Then you simply install the app by dragging it from the disk image window to your application folder.
    Just close the window and then drag the icon for the disk image (like the Firefox one in the screen shot) to the trash. If it shows up on the sidebar you can also just eject it. You should be running the app from your applications folder not the disk image folder.
    Not sure why your USB drive and the open disk images aren't showing in the sidebar. Maybe post a screenshot of the preferences for Finder.
    02-20-2015 06:50 AM
    Hi Karen, thank you again for your patience.

I'm not sure if I have explained the main problem well. Basically I installed thes apps (Firefox, Sonos, adobe, Kies, Skype etc) a long long time ago so I don't want/need/intend to install them or open them or anything, but as soon as I select Applications in Finder they re-appear everytime and often the mac gets stuck and I have to turn it off manually (this happened just now when I was preparing the screenshots). When I eventually manage to get it unstuck I drag all the disk image icons to the trash as you suggest and I even empty the trash, BUT, the problem simply returns the next time I want to look inside Applications (or I highlight applications in finder even accidentally). I'm wondering if I should do a finder search on .dmg and manually delete all the .dmg files???

This has been going on for a long time and now that I'm trying to fix it, it is making me even more crazy. I hope you can spot something from these screenshots... (will have to send in 2 messages as too large to attach all at once)

I have also sent some screenshots of my finder preferences.

Thanks so much, Ingrid
    Attached Thumbnails Can't open Applications folder without releasing havoc on my dashboard!  Please help!-screen-shot-2015-02-20-14.07.01.jpg   Can't open Applications folder without releasing havoc on my dashboard!  Please help!-screen-shot-2015-02-20-14.06.55.jpg  
    02-20-2015 08:28 AM
    Hi Karen, here are some screen shots of the unhappy madness on my desktop. Note that this is what happens when I have Applications selected... the coloured ball spins and spins and today I had to turn off the mac as I couldn't figure out how to unblock the situation

Does this give you any more clues??

Thanks in advance, Ingrid
    Attached Thumbnails Can't open Applications folder without releasing havoc on my dashboard!  Please help!-screen-shot-2015-02-20-13.57.11.jpg   Can't open Applications folder without releasing havoc on my dashboard!  Please help!-screen-shot-2015-02-20-13.56.07.jpg  
    02-20-2015 08:32 AM
    Unfortunately I'm out of ideas. I tried putting a DMG file into my Applications folder to see if I could replicate the problem, but nothing happened I could switch to the Applications folder and the DMG file never opened.
    It's not going to hurt to try searching for and deleting those DMG files.
    The other thing to try when you reboot it asked you if you want it to save the open windows to restore. Try in checking this so that whatever it thinks it had open it won't open after the reboot.
    iyireland likes this.
    02-20-2015 08:51 AM
    You can try to find the .dmg files using Finder search (as opposed to Spotlight).

From you desktop press Option-Command-Spacebar ( ⌥-⌘-Space) and type dmg in the search box and select Kinds - Disk Image.

This should give you a list of the .dmg files on your computer, and the info in the "status bar" area of the Finder window should show you the location of each file as you select it. This should allow you to locate and remove the .dmg files that are causing you grief.

Like Karen, I can't explain why it's happening, but removing the .dmg archives should help clear up the issue.

Attachment 77722
    iyireland likes this.
    02-20-2015 09:33 AM
    Hooray! Thanks for all your help ...deleting the .dmg files seems to have sorted out my problem. I'm so relieved (it's amazing how these small things in life can be so irritating and time wasting!)

Thank you both...have a great weekend.
    02-20-2015 10:53 AM