Should I keep using LastPass or switch to 1Password when I get my Mac?

Dx3me

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently still using Windows 8.1, on my general laptop.
However I'm planning to switch to an iMac early 2015, and wanted some more info about password security and stuff...

* Even though my switch to iMac might be about 6 months from now... I AM aleady preparing for it software-wise (figuring out what apps to use and such).

- At the moment I'm using LastPass on my Windows system, and have been a very satisfied user since 3 years.
But, I'm reading a lot of good recommendations about 1 Password these days, and I would really appreciate some more advise on the matter.
-----------------

Security is the MAIN factor for me, since I'm running a company and need to have my passwords protected at all times.
The thing I love about LastPass, is that it supports 2 step verification (I use the Yubico key for that).
So how's the security on 1Password, compared to LastPass?
1Password doesn't support 2 step verification I believe?
(than how can I be sure of good protection)

On a sidenote;
On 1Password's website there is also some info about Knox... why would the creators of 1Password also promote Knox on their website?
Does it compliment 1Password or something, what's the link between both apps?

--> In the end of the day I would just like to know what gives me the best security, LastPass or 1Password (joined by Knox or not)??
And why would one app be better than the other?

Thanks!

Dx3me

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I think it's safe to say that 2 step verification (as I have now with LastPass) is good enough to keep my passwords protected.
Right now, when someone (including myself) tries to log in from an external system, he gets asked to authenticate by putting in the physical usb-stick that I got with Yubico...
Sounds pretty safe I guess.

Last edited:

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
If you've been using LastPass for 3 years and you're comfortable, stay! I wouldn't switch from something I'm comfortable with.

I recently started using 1Password myself and I'm very skeptical. However, I've been forgetting my passwords lately and I need the security. I don't like the fact that my passwords will be on a app but I have to give it a try anyway. Karen, you have made me feel more comfortable with this application.

RevJar

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I was using it on my Win 7 machine and iPhone. Syncing made it great. Then when I got my Mac, I purchased a license for it and was able to purchase a Windows & Mac license at a discount when the latest version came out. I love 1Password, but then again, it was and is the only password manager I use. Well worth the price and an all around great app.

Zerksies

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
I am kinda new to Mac after years on windows. I had lastpass and i still use it. It integrates with safari very well. I think it's the only password manager that does that

portadi

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Sometimes it is necessary to share accounts with your spouse, your friend, or your colleague, and some password managers offer a way to do that, which is great. In workplace teams you might be better off with a simple cloud SSO like Portadi which eliminates the need to disclose passwords in the first place.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73