Problems with jailbreak on Ipad Air 2 9.0.2

Tanin

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys,

I am having problems with Pangu jailbreak on my ipad air 2 on 9.0.2
What I did is:
1. Jailbreaked with Pangu. It worked but Cydia kept crashing, so I did a backup.
2. Tried restoring ipsw 9.0.2 but itunes kept giving me error.
2. Erased all content via the ipad and restored again via itunes. It worked.
3. Pangu jailbreak again. It worked. I then ran it once.
4. Restore from the backup I did. It worked.
5. Tried running cydia and kept getting "could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status" error.
6. I tried restoring ipsw again, and again itunes gave me an error (unknown error 3194).

Problem now, contrary to before, is that when I turn on the ipad, I get the connect to itunes screen, and restoring isn't work. Itunes tells me it needs to erase all data, but it also tells me that he will update to the latest firmware.

Help?

king_o_hill

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure why you did a restore from backup after you jail broke, that's a big no no. You have no choice but to restore to the latest firmware and there isn't a jailbreak for it. Maybe next time ask before you start randomly trying things, we can help.

Tanin

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
It was the thing to do according to ~3 guides I saw on the net.
And it even worked, everything was restored and cydia was running. Only thing I was getting an error "could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status".

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
That was probably just a connection issue that would have resolved itself by simply waiting.

Using backups are fine. In fact, some jailbreaks have suggested it so as to eliminate data on the device during the jailbreak.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure why you did a restore from backup after you jail broke, that's a big no no. You have no choice but to restore to the latest firmware and there isn't a jailbreak for it. Maybe next time ask before you start randomly trying things, we can help.

It's ok to do a restore from backup after jailbroken with no issue, as a matter of fact, my iOS 9.0.2 is jailbroken and I do backups from time to time and restore back to stable backup when I feel there are files/systems misbehaving. It always work fine with zero issue.
In the case of OP, his issue araise the moment he chose to reinstall IPSW via iTunes which of course will pull out load of error, not a backup issue at all, and from his post he did mentioned backup restore was fine, but issue araise after trying to restore IPSW file via iTunes.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
It was the thing to do according to ~3 guides I saw on the net.
And it even worked, everything was restored and cydia was running. Only thing I was getting an error "could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status".

Cydia crashing after jailbreak means the jailbreak was unsuccessful, I guess there were processes which was not followed up correctly, you surely missed something during the jail breaking process. But later on, the "could not open file..." only indicate that a certain directory for Cydia to auto config at first lunch was not accessible from Cydia to your device, suggesting some permissions was still jailed, meaning that they were some security permission which was not broken to allow Cydia to have access to them, again jailbreak was not successful, specially if erase all content was successful, then the jailbreak was a failure otherwise, erase all content would have put your device in a paper weight state forcing you to factory restore it by action of DFU mode, but according to your first post, erase all content was successful after initial jailbreak which means jailbreak was not successful actually. Now while all those done actions was child play, trying to restore the IPSW was an irreversible mistake, because the jailbreakable iOS is not the most recent one. The thing is, once iTunes detect the iOS in the device is a version lower than the actual, iTunes will force it to upgrade to the most recent, else there is no go anywhere.
Not a big deal, I would factory restore it to the latest and wait patently (actually I know how hard the waiting could be, I've been there too) for a jailbreak to be available for the most recent or future iOS.
Two things to learn for future jailbreak iDevices is
1- Do not touch the "erase all content" button of a jailbreak device even if you intent to factory reset or upgrade the iOS.
2- Do not try to reinstall a jailbreak device iOS unless you are wanting to upgrade de iOS or the jailbreaked iOS is the most recent iOS.

Like other said, next time, try to get advices before jailbreak, and sure lot of experienced people here will help you through it.

Last edited:

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I am having problems with Pangu jailbreak on my ipad air 2 on 9.0.2
What I did is:
1. Jailbreaked with Pangu. It worked but Cydia kept crashing, so I did a backup.
2. Tried restoring ipsw 9.0.2 but itunes kept giving me error.
2. Erased all content via the ipad and restored again via itunes. It worked.
3. Pangu jailbreak again. It worked. I then ran it once.
4. Restore from the backup I did. It worked.
5. Tried running cydia and kept getting "could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status" error.
6. I tried restoring ipsw again, and again itunes gave me an error (unknown error 3194).

Problem now, contrary to before, is that when I turn on the ipad, I get the connect to itunes screen, and restoring isn't work. Itunes tells me it needs to erase all data, but it also tells me that he will update to the latest firmware.

Help?

Step 1. Fine so far. Jail broken, Cydia crashing? maybe connection issues, maybe version 1.0 or pangu and not Cydia 1.1.16? or whatever it's curly version is. Irregardless, you're still perfectly fine and jail broken at this point.
Step1a (backup). Also, still fine. Still jail broken.
Step2. Obvious failure point as 9.0.2 is not signed and cannot be installed. Your phone is still on iOS 9.0.2, and still jailbroken.
Step2 again. Critical error. Should not have worked. Should have left you with a device that was stuck on Apple logo forever. The fact that it worked makes what I said about step 1 a lie. You were not actually jailbroken.
Step 3. You jailbreak from the clean 9.0.2 that remained on your phone from the erase all contents and settings.
Step 4. Restore from the backup of step 1a, perfectly fine, you restored a 9.0.2 backup, to a 9.0.2 jailbroken iOS. In essence you restored settings, apps, contacts, etc?
Step5. Cydia might be Having the same conditions from step 1 (connection, out of date Cydia installed). This could've been fixed few different ways. Cydia is opening, and you should still be able to see the default repos and add packages.
Step6. Same as step 2, can't install an unsigned iOS.

Did you erase all content and settings from iPad again? Between step 5 and step 6?

I think that's what happened.
Here's my Sherlock like chain of events.

Op runs jailbreak, succeeds, opens Cydia, Cydia doesn't complete first run.
Op is missing a ton of system apps but doesn't realize it. He doesn't notice safari, messages, calanders, etc? are missing from his homepage. Just knows that he opens Cydia and it immediately crashes back to home screen. Plugs phone in, backs it up. iTunes don't care, backs up his nothingness of a phone at this point. Op opened settings, erases all content and settings. Goes smooth, because it's a core Apple system, probably somewhere lower level than what was messed up when Cydia didn't finish its first run with moving apps aria and resizing system partitions, and making links etc?
Op then jailbreaks a "clean" 9.0.2. Restores from backup, basically nothing. (I'll bet original backup and restore took under two minutes each)
Jailbreaks again. Cydia completes first run. Cydia opens and during the update package part returns the red error he sees. Op is like WTF!!! rages into setting and erases all content and settings, because it worked last time. Op is now dead in the water and needs to restore to 9.2.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner