My iPhone is recognised by computer and TV but does not show in iTunes or output to tv

lukejohn1989

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys, hope you can help! I'm in a bit of a pickle and have tried lots of things and am still yet to get a working solution! I have a jail broken (I think this is something to do with the problem) iPhone 6plus. A few weeks ago no issues, could connect to my computer and my TV through a hdmi cable. All of a sudden it's stopped! I connect my iPhone and it charges, even iTunes boots up, but it's never actually in the app for me to do anything with. I can go into my computer and transfer photos and videos but iTunes just doesn't want to show my phone. On the same day, I connect my phone to my TV and it doesn't like this Rotherham my TV recognises a device is attached, because it stops saying "no signal" but nothing shows. I disconnect my iPhone and my TV says "no signal". It's like all these devices recognise an iPhone is attached but it just stops for some reason at the final hurdle. My partners un jail broken iPhone 5c works on both normally. I have tried cables different computers and TVs, installing Apple drivers, TV settings, resetting trust settings, reboots, reinstalls, drivers. The lot. I'm desperate to undo whatever's happened but no luck. Any help is appreciated!!!

Thanks guys!

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I sure am sorry to hear about the situation you are in and had to use your first post on a negative... :) Hang in there as I cannot help you with that Jailbroken word, I am certain that another member with Jailbreak knowledge will come along and help with your problem. good luck to you. :)

lukejohn1989

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Thank you. I was a little apprehensive that my first post was one asking for help, and not sure on how the forum views jail breaking! Thanks for looking!

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

As mentioned above we have a few knowledgeable JBers here on our site so stay tuned and you will get the best advice on the net

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried booting up with the volume up button held down?

Referred to as no substrate mode? Then trying the different things you currently cannot do?

Also, I would guess that you have a bad cable, or adapter, or possibly worst case, a damaged lightning connection

lukejohn1989

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried booting up with the volume up button held down?

Referred to as no substrate mode? Then trying the different things you currently cannot do?

Also, I would guess that you have a bad cable, or adapter, or possibly worst case, a damaged lightning connection

Thanks for your response, I hadn't tried substrate mode, I've have just tried and it's not worked. Same as before, computers makes the "connected noise" iTunes (freshly installed) pops up but no phone icon in iTunes. I genuinely think the cable is ok. This iPhone is 6 weeks old and I've used original charger and adapter and because of previous experiences take good care of it!!

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your response, I hadn't tried substrate mode, I've have just tried and it's not worked. Same as before, computers makes the "connected noise" iTunes (freshly installed) pops up but no phone icon in iTunes. I genuinely think the cable is ok. This iPhone is 6 weeks old and I've used original charger and adapter and because of previous experiences take good care of it!!

I'm fresh out of ideas?
If you were in no substrate mode and it still didn't work than it is hardware related and not jailbreak.
Just to be clear about no substrate mode, you need to power your phone off completely, you can't just respring it...
Then hold the volume up button the entire time you are booting your phone until it gets to the lockscreen.
There's no message or anything, and the only way you can really tell is if you have tweaks that change the look, as they will then look like normal stock iOS?

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Have you installed any new tweaks recently? Aside from what 3cit said (which is excellent advice), you can also get into safe mode by using two apps from Cydia-- safe mode launcher or safe mode switch for flip switch. If your cables work in safe mode, then something you have installed is causing the problem. If not, it may be a hardware issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lukejohn1989

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys,

Thanks for you help, I have used the cydia app Safe mode launcher, I have restarted my iPhone holding the volume buttons, they launch correctly as my screen changes, I have a lot of tweaks for appearance. The computer I'm using recognises the device EVERY time, like the second I connect my phone, I get the noise, every time I disconnect, I get the noise, its completely responsive it just doesn't want to show in iTunes. Is there a way of installing a fresh IOS without ITunes?

I mean, the computer even loads iTunes for crying out loud it just doesn't give me the option to look at my phone it, ive tried this on 2 separate computers same issues. Cable is fine, its new and its apple official. Id honestly prefer to get ios9 and give up the jailbreak for a while.

I'm on Ios8.4 (12h143) model MGAF2B/A

Another option is to reinstall the jail break? Not sure if I can do this, I cant remember if I used Taig or Pangu.

lukejohn1989

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Also if it is a hardware issue, why can I access it through my computer? The computer "recognise" but iTunes wont? How can I get my iPhone unjailbroken without iTunes so I can take it to the store and ask for a new one (less than 2 months old so under warranty surely?)

Also I noticed in my photo folders some random files that are attributed any file extension, just 4 of them
Photo.jpg

could this be anything to do with it? I wonder if something malicious has happened as a result of the device being jailbroken?

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
How long have you given iTunes for it to bring up your phone? Minutes? Hours?

I have seen a similar issue many times before. I say similar, because I haven't seen this exact issue. I've seen cables that will charge a phone, but won't pass data. Usually that means that there is some sort of debris inside the connector port. Or there was some kind of water damage that caused a short inside the phone. However your phone does seem capable of passing data.
Still I would think this is a hardware issue. Do you have any third party phone repair shops on your area you trust? Have you tried to clean out the port using compressed air?

lukejohn1989

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
UPDATE!

Guys sorry I didnt reply, I actually just gave up through hours of sheer frustration. Its moved on a bit now, so hopefully someone can help me.

The TV was a red herring, no idea, it just started to work again.

So my only issue now is connecting my device to itunes.

On older versions of itunes, 12.0.1.26, recognise my device, is shows up fine, i can ineract sync everything, now i try to upgrade to ios 9.2 and it says i need to download the latest itunes, I do this and my device doesnt show. This is the same across multiple computers, older itunes show my phone, the newest itunes does not. I have full removed and reinstalled, including bonjour etc in all the appropriate sequences. I have the most up to date apple driver, the cable is a legit apple cable and clearly works it shows on the old version. I just cant get my phone on the newest itunes to be recognised!! Its recognised by the computer, as the auto play box appears, it even still loads itunes, i just cant interact on newest itunes.

lukejohn1989

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
How long have you given iTunes for it to bring up your phone? Minutes? Hours?

I have seen a similar issue many times before. I say similar, because I haven't seen this exact issue. I've seen cables that will charge a phone, but won't pass data. Usually that means that there is some sort of debris inside the connector port. Or there was some kind of water damage that caused a short inside the phone. However your phone does seem capable of passing data.
Still I would think this is a hardware issue. Do you have any third party phone repair shops on your area you trust? Have you tried to clean out the port using compressed air?

Sorry for the belated reply! I actually gave up after hours of frustration.

UPDATE: TV was a red herring, just started working randomly.

Ok, older versions of itunes like itunes 12.0 seem to recognise the iphone, and I can back up etc on this, however if i want to upgrade to ios 9.2 I have to have a newer version of itunes, this newer version doesnt show iphone. I have the latest drivers, i removed and reinstalled properly including associated programs like bonjour etc. The cable is fine as it can sync and pass data on the older versions of itunes, its just the newer versions that dont, which is frustrating as waned to give 9.2 a try.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
If you're wanting to go to 9.2, you do understand that means the jailbreak is gone. Correct?

If so, just put the phone in DFU mode and stop troubleshooting.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
So it also seems like this is more of a computer issue instead of a phone issue.
Have you tried iTunes on another computer to see if it read your phone?
You seem like a "tinkerer" which is totally great, is it possible you have disabled some of the driver in Windows? This would cause iTunes to not have to download the driver (after a fresh install of latest iTunes) when the phone is connected. There are services that are running on the computer that help iTunes sync. I'm wondering if you have "tinkered" your way into breaking those. Even with a new install of iTunes, it wouldn't fix those issues, as the driver is present on the computer just disabled.
Try your phone on a different computer with iTunes.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711