What is the difference between these two ipsw files? I'm confused on which to...

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone have any idea what the difference between

iPhone6,1_8.3_12F70_Restore.ipsw & iPhone6,2_8.3_12F70_Restore.ipsw

I have a A1533 5s model and I'm on Verizon Wireless. If you look at the bottom of [Redacted]] you'll see:

iOS 8.3 (iPhone 5s GSM): iPhone6,1_8.3_12F70_Restore.ipsw
iOS 8.3 (iPhone 5s GSM+CDMA): iPhone6,2_8.3_12F70_Restore.ipsw

Wouldn't my 5s use the iPhone6,2_8.3_12F70_Restore? 6,1 is GSM and 6,2 is Global. I just figured CDMA and Verizon? Someone has to know which one is the correct one for me to use.

I know I can just go into iTunes and click Restore and it'll download the ipsw but I think I'm getting the wrong one. If anyone with a 5s with iOS 8.3, on VZW & in the States could please tell me what ipsw file downloads for them I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
-bud

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone have any idea what the difference between

iPhone6,1_8.3_12F70_Restore.ipsw & iPhone6,2_8.3_12F70_Restore.ipsw

I have a A1533 5s model and I'm on Verizon Wireless. If you look at the bottom of [redacted] you'll see:

iOS 8.3 (iPhone 5s GSM): iPhone6,1_8.3_12F70_Restore.ipsw
iOS 8.3 (iPhone 5s GSM+CDMA): iPhone6,2_8.3_12F70_Restore.ipsw

Wouldn't my 5s use the iPhone6,2_8.3_12F70_Restore? 6,1 is GSM and 6,2 is Global. I just figured CDMA and Verizon? Someone has to know which one is the correct one for me to use.

I know I can just go into iTunes and click Restore and it'll download the ipsw but I think I'm getting the wrong one. If anyone with a 5s with iOS 8.3, on VZW & in the States could please tell me what ipsw file downloads for them I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
-bud

I don't know if this will help, but it's the info from the MacTracker app. Also, you cannot install the wrong software on a phone. iTunes will report that it's the wrong software, if, in fact, it is.

Also, look at the print on the back of the phone - the model number (Axxxx) is marked on it.

View attachment 84121

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if this will help, but it's the info from the MacTracker app. Also, you cannot install the wrong software on a phone. iTunes will report that it's the wrong software, if, in fact, it it.

View attachment 84121

You can see in your image next Model Identifier it says iPhone6,1 is GSM & iPhone6,2 is GSM/CDMA. I understand that I just don't know if my phone should be 6,2 since I'm on Verizon b/c iTunes keeps downloading 6,1.

About iTunes not installing the wrong ipsw file. Are you saying I can try restore to 6,2 manually, if it's not the correct one for my phone iTunes will not restore it, I'll get an error?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
You can see in your image next Model Identifier it says iPhone6,1 is GSM & iPhone6,2 is GSM/CDMA. I understand that I just don't know if my phone should be 6,2 since I'm on Verizon b/c iTunes keeps downloading 6,1.

About iTunes not installing the wrong ipsw file. Are you saying I can try restore to 6,2 manually, if it's not the correct one for my phone iTunes will not restore it, I'll get an error?

Exactly. You will get an error if you try to install the wrong version.

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. You will get an error if you try to install the wrong version.

Over at everythingiCafe a senior mod posted this
UQqv6d5.png

However I just did Shift+Restore in iTunes like you said, added the iPhone6,2_8.3_12F70_Restore.ipsw and it wouldn't work. I get "This iPhone could not be restored b/c the firmware file is not compatible." When I select 6,1 it works with no issues, this makes no sense to me? I got all the people telling me different things. If Verizon is not GSM how the hell am I restoring to GSM ipsw?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Over at everythingiCafe a senior mod posted this

However I just did Shift+Restore in iTunes like you said, added the iPhone6,2_8.3_12F70_Restore.ipsw and it wouldn't work. I get "This iPhone could not be restored b/c the firmware file is not compatible." When I select 6,1 it works with no issues, this makes no sense to me? I got all the people telling me different things. If Verizon is not GSM how the hell am I restoring to GSM ipsw?

According to the Apple website, the A1533 is both GSM and CDMA, but strangely, it lists Sprint and not VZW as compatible carriers:

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...mUvbUpU2545762%26subId2%3Dvbim&token=PYJ9tvjS

View attachment 84126

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
That is strange, Apple just gave me this phone two days ago, it's a replacement. Should I called Verizon or does it have nothing to do with them?

The Sprint and VZW devices are technically interchangeable, so I don't think it will matter. You could confirm with Apple that you got the correct device. My guess is that all is well.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I had same issue, I downloaded gsm/cdma build in advance (i ha e Verizon phone 5s) so I could just update with waiting for iTunes to download and got the "not compatible" error.

I think it's just an error from the site where you got the ispw

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I had same issue, I downloaded gsm/cdma build in advance (i ha e Verizon phone 5s) so I could just update with waiting for iTunes to download and got the "not compatible" error.

I think it's just an error from the site where you got the ispw

So you where able to restore using the 6,2? 6,1 is GSM and 6,2 is Global.

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Nope. I couldn't use the global one, ended up waiting for iTunes to download the update… 40extra minutes to my jailbreak process…

I don't mean to be an ***** but what IPSW did iTunes end up flashing on your 5s? You waited 40 minutes for the GSM (6,1) to download?

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah 40 minutes. And it is the iphone6,1_8.3_12F70_Restore

This is crazy. We have Verizon so our iPhones should be Global(GSM/CDMA). I have no idea why 6,1 is working for us. It shouldn't. It should only allow 6,2. I'm probably looking to much into this but I'll see what Apple says.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh