I want to upgrade my iphone 5s ios 7.0 out of jailbreak and into 7.1 to use the new jailbreak pangu.
    Pretty straight forward problem but the real trouble arises when I try to update. When using the iphone update software window I am greeted with a never ending pin wheel of loaderdom. When using the computer, the stupid thing wants to back it up but always says that it cannot complete because backup cannot be stored on computer. I am using a mac. Any help?

Sincerely,
    TheChupp
    08-06-2014 03:49 PM
    I want to upgrade my iphone 5s ios 7.0 out of jailbreak and into 7.1 to use the new jailbreak pangu.
    Pretty straight forward problem but the real trouble arises when I try to update. When using the iphone update software window I am greeted with a never ending pin wheel of loaderdom. When using the computer, the stupid thing wants to back it up but always says that it cannot complete because backup cannot be stored on computer. I am using a mac. Any help?

Sincerely,
    TheChupp
    You can't do an OTA update on the iPhone itself because the jailbreak prevents it. You can decline the backup. Or, you could just put the phone in DFU mode and iTunes wouldn't have anything to backup. Just be sure you have an iCloud backup to restore for when it updates.
    08-06-2014 04:01 PM
    Download the update through iTunes. You should be prompted whenever you connect an 'out of date' iPhone. Restore your phone and update it on your computer. Then you can proceed with Pangu.
    08-06-2014 04:12 PM
    I want a full back up but a full back up, as far as I know, on icloud is impossible. just data backups. i want to back it up on my computer. Is there a way to do this whether it be through itunes or a third party application?
    08-06-2014 04:46 PM
    I want a full back up but a full back up, as far as I know, on icloud is impossible. just data backups. i want to back it up on my computer. Is there a way to do this whether it be through itunes or a third party application?
    A full backup on iTunes and iCloud are the same. It's not just data. It's how you had everything set up like the organization of your app icons, camera roll, app data, etc.

When on your phone when you go into settings-icloud scroll down to the bottom and go to "Storage and backup" and you'll see what I mean. It gives you a full backup of your phone and not just things like Contacts, mail, etc.
    08-06-2014 06:45 PM
    iCloud seems to be a better backup in my opinion. iTunes doesn't put everything back, u have to sync some data over.
    08-07-2014 10:54 PM
    iCloud seems to be a better backup in my opinion. iTunes doesn't put everything back, u have to sync some data over.
    What doesn't itunes put back? iTunes is just a faster way of restoring without requiring Wifi.
    08-08-2014 01:55 PM
    It doesn't put back music or apps for example. U have to go in and manually redownload them whereas iCloud restores it exactly how u had it to begin with.
    08-08-2014 02:43 PM
    It doesn't put back music or apps for example. U have to go in and manually redownload them whereas iCloud restores it exactly how u had it to begin with.
    When you backup on iTunes you're backing up the apps and music and those things are stored on iTunes which makes it easier to restore instead of using bandwith to re-download. Also makes it the restore that much quicker. I recommend people backup on both if they can. If not, of course iCloud is the best thing you can do.
    08-08-2014 02:51 PM
    If you want to jailbreak, remove the idea of ota updates now. It'll only complicate things.
    08-08-2014 09:29 PM
    When you backup on iTunes you're backing up the apps and music and those things are stored on iTunes which makes it easier to restore instead of using bandwith to re-download. Also makes it the restore that much quicker. I recommend people backup on both if they can. If not, of course iCloud is the best thing you can do.
    Why do two steps when iCloud is a smooth one? Personal preference lol.
    08-10-2014 07:19 PM
    Why do two steps when iCloud is a smooth one? Personal preference lol.
    What two steps? That's fine if it's your personal preference. I came to correct misinformation in your original post saying that an iTunes restore doesn't "put everything back" is all. That's not true at all.
    08-10-2014 08:24 PM
    Well it is if you're speaking specifically towards only restoring a backup. You still have to sync certain info back over and things could have changed on your computer that didn't on your phone. I prefer my phone to be exactly the same when I'm restoring a backup.
    08-10-2014 08:26 PM
    In any case, here's an apple article to help u choose which backup fits your needs. I think we can all agree that keeping it backed up is step one.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5262
    08-10-2014 08:33 PM
    Well it is if you're speaking specifically towards only restoring a backup. You still have to sync certain info back over and things could have changed on your computer that didn't on your phone. I prefer my phone to be exactly the same when I'm restoring a backup.
    An iCloud backup specifically only restores a backup too.
    08-10-2014 08:47 PM
    An iCloud backup specifically only restores a backup too.
    Yes but includes all media and settings which could be invaluable to someone who has since changed computers and may not have access to all of the same data.
    08-10-2014 09:17 PM
    Yes but includes all media and settings which could be invaluable to someone who has since changed computers and may not have access to all of the same data.
    Well, of course. That's an extreme case.
    08-10-2014 10:46 PM