How to clear camera photos from jailbroken iTouch (5.1.1)?

Non-Literal Lizard

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I have a jailbroken iTouch, 4th generation, running 5.1.1. Over time, I've noticed it slowing down and applications crashing regularly, along with it generally acting quite strange. As such, I want to delete as much as I can from it, and maybe restore it later. (I'm holding off on restoring because I don't want to be bumped up to iOS 6, rejailbreak it, lose my progress in those silly little games, etc.) Before restoring, I want to make sure I've copied over all of the photos I've taken with the iPod. That's when things got weird.

I have iFunbox installed, but it shows eight folders for "Camera", all of which are empty. Which is interesting, because there is over 14,000 files on the Camera Roll according to the iTouch. So what I've been doing is going User>Media>DCIM via iFunbox's raw file system utility and transferring the photos from the various 1XXAPPLE subfolders onto my computer, then deleting the photos from said subfolders. I've been doing this off-and-on for a few days, and I estimate that I've transferred and deleted maybe 3000 photos from my iTouch.

Problem is, they are still on the device. Although there are less files in the raw file system, the number of photos on my Camera Roll has not decreased in the slightest. Where the hell are they hiding? And if there's phantom photos hiding away on my iPod that aren't in User>Media>DCIM, how can I make sure I've backed up all of photos if I do chose to restore my device?

By the way, the device has had a hard time connecting to iTunes, often not being recognized at all or having a notice pop up saying that it cannot be connected. Windows itself refuses to recognize its existence (no window pops up asking me what to do with it when I plug it in, nor does it appear as a disk like my newer iPhone does), so I can't take files from the DCIM folder like normal. It's not the USB cable, as iFunbox doesn't have a problem connecting to it, although transferring files to/from the device with it is mindnumbingly slow.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought I posted this in the Jailbreaking section already, you can tell I'm super-new here haha. I searched the jailbreaking section already and I couldn't find anything specific about my issue.

Last edited:

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Thankfully we have some great Mods around here to move stuff for us when need be! Thanks D!

Non-Literal Lizard

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Just plug your phone in and do a backup. It will clear it all up.

How do I get the photos from the backup iTunes onto separate folders in the computer? Are iTunes backups stored somewhere on the computer in such as way that I can get to the photos I've taken and organize them somewhere else?

I don't intend to restore the phone from a backup, if that's what you mean, as I'm planning on resetting it completely and starting from scratch due to the number of problems I've had with this device.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
You've already backed up and deleted your photos.
You just need to "reset" your camera roll. This will do that