iPhone 5 7.0.4 jailbroken, can't use cydia and need help

chongva

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
like the title says, i have jailbroken the phone with evasi0n. i added some sources to cydia and now i cannot use it.

everytime i open it, it says "Malformed line 3 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cydia.list (dist)

sure, there's ways to fix it by using ifile and deleting a couple files but i didn't download ifile or openssh before i added the sources. i've tried using cyder to get it to work, but even after fixing the sqlite3.dll issue with cyder my iphone still won't work with it. i've tried using ifunbox but you need openssh in order to do anything, and i've tried restoring the phone and re-jailbreaking it but itunes won't restore it, as the restore fails everytime. i've tried to erase all content and settings but as what normally happens when you do that with a jailbroken phone, it didn't work.

i'm unsure of what to do now and would really appreciate some help here.

edit: i also do not have the afc2 service needed by pretty much any program that will help me

Last edited:

098v

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Semi-restore might fix this issue but a full restore is recommended

Tappin' and talkin' from my iPhone 4

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
It's a jailbreak issue. There is no way in heck a restore is "recommended"

Does cydia "crash" after you get that message, like you cannot do anything else with it?
Can you not hit cancel as soon as you start cydia so that it doesn't try and look for updates from the sources?
have you tried opening cydia after you boot up in substrate disabled mode (hold volume up while booting)

Last edited:

chongva

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
It's a jailbreak issue. There is no way in heck a restore is "recommended"

Does cydia "crash" after you get that message, like you cannot do anything else with it?
Can you not hit cancel as soon as you start cydia so that it doesn't try and look for updates from the sources?
have you tried opening cydia after you boot up in substrate disabled mode (hold volume up while booting)

cydia doesn't crash, but nothing shows in the source list or packages which was the initial problem. how do you know when you're in substrate disabled mode? did that and all it did was arrange cydia, sbssettings, and winterboard apps to the very last of my apps. and cydia still comes up with the error.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
cydia doesn't crash, but nothing shows in the source list or packages which was the initial problem. how do you know when you're in substrate disabled mode? did that and all it did was arrange cydia, sbssettings, and winterboard apps to the very last of my apps. and cydia still comes up with the error.

Is Sbsettings actually compatible with ios 7? I'm sure it's not yet. And since you are about to factory restore the device, try re jailbreaking the ios with the same evasion tool,
NB: evasion said it's not recommended to re jailbreak an already jailbreak ios. How ever, if the issue have nothing to do with evasion core codes, it will retail break succefully, otherwise the ios will stuck with an apple logo on the screen and then your only way out will be to factory restore the device which of course will push you to the most recent ios on apple server.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Is Sbsettings actually compatible with ios 7? I'm sure it's not yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not really but it works on non A7 devices running iOS 7. It worked on my 5th gen iPod touch.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or Jailbroken 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Start cydia, hit cancel as soon as it starts? on the featured page see if you can install any of those Debian packages.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1401691353.209579.jpg
"Copy files too and from device" has a link to afc2add?
Also check and see if you can install openssh?
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1401691434.725276.jpg
From the ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1401691460.303781.jpg file managers menu? get to that from the featured menu.
See if you can install anything at all with how cydia is working

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
like the title says, i have jailbroken the phone with evasi0n. i added some sources to cydia and now i cannot use it.

everytime i open it, it says "Malformed line 3 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cydia.list (dist)

sure, there's ways to fix it by using ifile and deleting a couple files but i didn't download ifile or openssh before i added the sources. i've tried using cyder to get it to work, but even after fixing the sqlite3.dll issue with cyder my iphone still won't work with it. i've tried using ifunbox but you need openssh in order to do anything, and i've tried restoring the phone and re-jailbreaking it but itunes won't restore it, as the restore fails everytime. i've tried to erase all content and settings but as what normally happens when you do that with a jailbroken phone, it didn't work.

i'm unsure of what to do now and would really appreciate some help here.

edit: i also do not have the afc2 service needed by pretty much any program that will help me

In Cydia, go to Manage Sources. Sounds like you added one weirdly, but if you can't find it the GUI way, this will work, but I'd guess it may not be easy as well, so I'm not sure.

If you have anything but a PC, open a terminal. If you have a PC, install PuTTY PuTTY: a free telnet/ssh client and then open the terminal there.

Get the IP for your iPhone and computer

Type "ssh root@iPhone'sIP" password should be alpine unless you've changed it

Type "cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d/"

Then type "scp cydia.list yourMacorLinuxusername@yourMacorLinuxIP:/path/to/your/desktop/" and enter your password (should be similar with PuTTY, but I haven't used it before)

Then type "mv cydia.list cydia.list.broken"

Then edit the file on your desktop, it will likely have a line different than the others on line 3

Once you either remove or fix line 3, you type "scp /path/to/your/desktop/cydia.list root@youriPhonesIP:/etc/apt/sources.list.d/"

That will work.

You could also likely do some of this with iFile or something, but you'd need that installed first. I think you'd need SSH installed first too though.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
In Cydia, go to Manage Sources. Sounds like you added one weirdly, but if you can't find it the GUI way, this will work, but I'd guess it may not be easy as well, so I'm not sure.

If you have anything but a PC, open a terminal. If you have a PC, install PuTTY PuTTY: a free telnet/ssh client and then open the terminal there.

Get the IP for your iPhone and computer

Type "ssh root@iPhone'sIP" password should be alpine unless you've changed it

Type "cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d/"

Then type "scp cydia.list yourMacorLinuxusername@yourMacorLinuxIP:/path/to/your/desktop/" and enter your password (should be similar with PuTTY, but I haven't used it before)

Then type "mv cydia.list cydia.list.broken"

Then edit the file on your desktop, it will likely have a line different than the others on line 3

Once you either remove or fix line 3, you type "scp /path/to/your/desktop/cydia.list root@youriPhonesIP:/etc/apt/sources.list.d/"

That will work.

You could also likely do some of this with iFile or something, but you'd need that installed first. I think you'd need SSH installed first too though.

If he had installed open ssh

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Where'd this kid go? Probably stock thanks to all the excellent restore before troubleshooting advice?