Keep iphone 5s or get a note 3?

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
A friend of mine has a bag (I call it man-purse) that is cute and fashionable. Perhaps I should consider, Lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
You can call it a laptop bag? Be all professional and stuff. ;-P

?Sent from the colored one using Tapatalk?

Lol. Netbook bag at that size. May be useful for vacations and stuff. Sometimes nice to not have wallets, keys, etc. shoved in your pockets 😊

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I just wanted two 5s' so made an excuse to get them. When I'm generally out and about I only have one of them with me. I do carry all 4 iThings with me to work and when the battery dies on one I switch to another. Now that I got my G Pad 8.3 back from little His Highnesses that's in the rotation too but it's not so...fun...to use as my iPads. It's all cheaper than a 2nd car or the truly high-end gaming rig that I had so that's how I justify it. The problem is gonna be when the iPhone 6 hits. Gotta keep the 5s' is new condition to sell 'em.

via the phone

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
The M8 LOOKS like a nice phone. ...I will be eager to see what the iP6 offers...but really? The rMini and Air meet and exceed my big screen needs.

via the tablet

Well not everyone wants to lug a tablet around. Even a note sized device is still considerably smaller than the retina mini. Apple can make a larger screen for those who do not want to lug 2 devices around.

Caleb Pelton

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
The "right" screen size is about 5 inches. I have an iPhone 5 and a Google Nexus 5. The Nexus screen is just shy of five inches (and 1080p) and worlds bigger than the iPhone. I made it my daily driver because the size is just right. Vanilla android and a great screen just makes it good. I hope that Apple increases the screen size and resolution in the 6 (in fact, if they want me to purchase one they have to). Also, the price tag can't be beat. You can pick up a Nexus 5 (32gb in white, black, or red) from the Google Playstore for $400.00 unlocked and carrier free. Unbeatable in that department.

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I am a gadget lover so I like having multiples. I have 2 5s' in two different colors for when the battery dies on one. I got two iPads because there are times when my rMini may fit the task/environment better than the Air. Gadget lovers do gadget-lover things.

I really don't want to have a lot of devices especially if there are basically the same, but "each to his own" ;)
If Apple would sell a device with screen size of 5' then I wouldn't even use my iPad, but for now I use an iPhone and iPad.
I would recommend you to use a mobile charger. I have the ZNEX POWER PACK 5000mAh (http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B003ZV1A1Y/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It's really awesome, but I just use it on trips or if I surely know that I have to use my phone a lot during a day. It charges very fast and also looks cool ;)

A friend of mine has a bag (I call it man-purse) that is cute and fashionable. Perhaps I should consider, Lol.

You can call it a laptop bag? Be all professional and stuff. ;-P

I can't put my iPad mini in my trouser pocket (in winter in some jackets), that's why I also either have to use my daypack or a small shoulder bag. Years ago it was kinda strange but nowadays a lot of people wear these, so nobody will ask or look strange to you ;)
Just get one and carry everything you need :)

---

And to give an answer to the initial question;
I tried both devices and to be honest both are really great and have some really cool features.
Without Jailbreak the Note 3 is better and offers a lot of cool things (taking notes from everywhere, using a pen, widgets etc.), but it's not that smooth and lags sometimes. The iPhone is smoother and more stable, but doesn't offer much customization. BUT with Jailbreak I would definitely pick the iPhone, even iPhone 4S or 5. With Jailbreak you have infinity customization option with all the great themes and tweaks from Cydia ;)

IntelliScreenX, Activator and ProWidgets are very good examples of tweaks which I can't live without, because they completely change the way you can use your device and can optimize almost any workflow ;)

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I have a 10K MaH external battery that I carry in my backpack incase all devices are dead. It very rarely gets used. I've always been into having backups to my favorite things when I can. ...I'm anal about that but I'm sure in this case that Apple doesn't mind. ;-)

via the phone

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
What did you do in the toilet with your phone? ����

Lol I should have saw this coming. I ate and went in the washroom to wash my hands and I sent a quick text before doing so. Placed it on the counter but it slid off, hit the toilet paper roll, and dropped right into the toilet. I being the brave person that I am quickly (after assessing the situation in a matter of 5 seconds) grabbed the phone before it sunk but it was already wet. It has gotten disinfected and the case that I had it in was thrown out.

bonanzabucks

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I have a Note 3 and I wholeheartedly recommend this phone. I love it. The big screen might seem awkward at first, but you quickly get used to it and it?s difficult to go back to anything smaller. The battery life is outstanding and will easily last me at least two days with pretty good usage. The screen is vibrant and bright and very clear. The camera is outstanding. And the best part is that you don?t need to root the phone to customize it. I always had Android phones before and always had to root them to improve battery life and get better customization, but the Note 3 doesn?t require it.

My main knock is that Android apps ? especially the games ? aren?t as good as iOS apps and Android is slightly buggier than iOS (although Android is improving in both regards). That?s why I have the latest iPod Touch and an iPad 4. IOS apps are just that much better.

So, yeah, I would get Note 3 and you would be very happy with it. I still think the best device would be a jailbroken iOS phone/tablet and those would blow any Android phone or tablet out of the water. If only Apple could make some really simple tweaks that are standard on Android to be standard on iOS. Otherwise, they?re just limiting their products and will fall further behind.

bonanzabucks

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I want to make a quick update. My Note 3 experienced some issues today where my power button wouldn't even turn the screen off and some apps just wouldn't even start. I found out this was because of the latest Android update and it has something to do with the SD card, believe it or not. Google changed the policy where you can only use system apps off the SD card and anything else in there mucks up the system. Again, this is after the kit-kat update. My phone was working perfectly fine before. The solution to that is to wipe your SD card clean, which I did, and everything works fine now, albeit a tad sluggish.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

Brady KEITH

Banned
Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
*sigh* my android days. limitless customization, and supreme control of the surface level ui....but very little in the way of true utility. OP made the long-term-good-user-choice, imo (and if i read the thread correctly) by going with iOS/iPhone.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
*sigh* my android days. limitless customization, and supreme control of the surface level ui....but very little in the way of true utility. OP made the long-term-good-user-choice, imo (and if i read the thread correctly) by going with iOS/iPhone.

Are you serious?

What do you consider utility, and what can an iPhone do that isn't locked to Apple devices than an Android flagship can't?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Are you serious?

What do you consider utility, and what can an iPhone do that isn't locked to Apple devices than an Android flagship can't?

To me nater, you already have the answer.

The utility is interacting with Apples walled garden, iTunes, airplay, iMessage, FaceTime.

Continuity, handoff, instant hotspot, airdrop and Touch ID to start..... Apps utilizing home kit, health kit, and extensibility to follow shortly.

All of these utilities cannot be reproduced by an Android device

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
To me nater, you already have the answer.

The utility is interacting with Apples walled garden, iTunes, airplay, iMessage, FaceTime.

Continuity, handoff, instant hotspot, airdrop and Touch ID to start..... Apps utilizing home kit, health kit, and extensibility to follow shortly.

All of these utilities cannot be reproduced by an Android device

Apple wasn't the first one with a fingerprint scanner. Them having a huge home button does give them an implementation advantage though.

Health and Home Kit are easy to reproduce - you just have to partner with the right place. The fitness tracker stuff has already been in Samsung phones for several months now. I think Google shouldn't have much issue personally.

Continuity and handoff aren't hard. Microsoft can already do the Office Stuff (and Google with Docs).

I was sending and receiving texts from my PC and having my PC alert me about phone calls in 2011 via Kies Air Message on the GS2.

AirDrop you can just use WiFi Direct. Can work with more than just one vendor's devices as well.

Extensibility... There are extensible Android apps.

Meanwhile, iOS still doesn't let you do something as simple as change what resolution video you're taking in the camera app.

There is not much that you can do on these phones than Android cannot do. The opposite, however, is not necessarily true. Android is a lot more flexible and utilitarian than iOS. That has never been the focus and strength of iOS.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Apple wasn't the first one with a fingerprint scanner. Them having a huge home button does give them an implementation advantage though.

No one is arguing whether they were the first, they are the best. Apple's implantation is unmatched in accuracy, speed, and security, unmatched. And no the s5's implementation isn't even in the same league as Touch ID. I should know, back in February, I was at the launch of the s5 during MWC.

Health and Home Kit are easy to reproduce - you just have to partner with the right place. The fitness tracker stuff has already been in Samsung phones for several months now. I think Google shouldn't have much issue personally.

Continuity and handoff aren't hard. Microsoft can already do the Office Stuff (and Google with Docs).

I was sending and receiving texts from my PC and having my PC alert me about phone calls in 2011 via Kies Air Message on the GS2.

AirDrop you can just use WiFi Direct. Can work with more than just one vendor's devices as well.

Extensibility... There are extensible Android apps.

Meanwhile, iOS still doesn't let you do something as simple as change what resolution video you're taking in the camera app.

There is not much that you can do on these phones than Android cannot do. The opposite, however, is not necessarily true. Android is a lot more flexible and utilitarian than iOS. That has never been the focus and strength of iOS.

It's not the same, no matter how much you want it to be.

As I said above, as flexible as android is, it will never be integrated into apples ecosystem, into apples walled garden.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
No one is arguing whether they were the first, they are the best. Apple's implantation is unmatched in accuracy, speed, and security, unmatched. And no the s5's implementation isn't even in the same league as Touch ID. I should know, back in February, I was at the launch of the s5 during MWC.

It's not the same, no matter how much you want it to be.

As I said above, as flexible as android is, it will never be integrated into apples ecosystem, into apples walled garden.

- The S5 has nothing to do with this discussion.

- It is.

- And who cares about Apples ecosystem. This wasn't about that. Apple devices will never be integrated into Google or Microsoft devices and ecosystems. What is your point there. Native platforms are always advantaged when we're talking about their native services.

This is why I just ruled that out when I asked the question. To avoid a useless discussion. Why do you keep going back to it? You got nothing else? Also notice you left a lot out that I stated 😉

Android is more flexible and has just as good integration with its native services as Apple devices with theirs. Only difference is Google and Microsoft are a bit more open with their services and hardware than Apple, so they don't dictate your device choices for using their services or other devices. That's called freedom (the kind worth talking about).

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
- The S5 has nothing to do with this discussion.

- It is.

- And who cares about Apples ecosystem. This wasn't about that. Apple devices will never be integrated into Google or Microsoft devices and ecosystems. What is your point there. Native platforms are always advantaged when we're talking about their native services.

This is why I just ruled that out when I asked the question. To avoid a useless discussion. Why do you keep going back to it? You got nothing else? Also notice you left a lot out that I stated 😉

Android is more flexible and has just as good integration with its native services as Apple devices with theirs. Only difference is Google and Microsoft are a bit more open with their services and hardware than Apple, so they don't dictate your device choices for using their services or other devices. That's called freedom (the kind worth talking about).

( This Off Topic) I wonder if you are actually free or have any freedom with all these technology stuff. Aren't we all slaves of tech? Freedom to put this and that software into a phone? They are just screwing you tight a bit by serving you the illusion that you are free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
( This Off Topic) I wonder if you are actually free or have any freedom with all these technology stuff. Aren't we all slaves of tech? Freedom to put this and that software into a phone? They are just screwing you tight a bit by serving you the illusion that you are free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I meant freedom to choose which device you use without sacrificing the serve integration you enjoy or being forced to switch for a comparable experience.

When you go from iPhone to anything else their PIM services instantly become pretty bad, iMessage becomes useless, and other devices lose a lot of value.

This is less of an issue using Google or Microsoft services and devices.

I'm speaking of freedom in the technical sense, not the political or ideological sense.

You're not going to use iTunes Store or Radio on an Android or Windows Phone, but Google Play and Xbox work just fine on an iPhone.

The reason why I personally have great platform mobility is because I've made it a point to avoid platform locked services. This allows me to disregard these alleged [faux] advantages of a platform which are really nothing more than lock in mechanisms that duplicate cross platform functionality available elsewhere from reliable developers/companies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR