Submitting Cydia Tweak/Theme

bgeorge

May 27, 2012
Visit site
I am planning on submitting an Alkaline Theme to modmyi repo and was wondering do I need to setup of with all the root folders like it is on iFile. ( For Example - Library/Alkaline/NameOfTheme ) or can i just submit the folder with all the images in it? This is my very first time doing this, I have read up on some stuff but never found any information. If anyone has any links please share.

Thanks!

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I am planning on submitting an Alkaline Theme to modmyi repo and was wondering do I need to setup of with all the root folders like it is on iFile. ( For Example - Library/Alkaline/NameOfTheme ) or can i just submit the folder with all the images in it? This is my very first time doing this, I have read up on some stuff but never found any information. If anyone has any links please share.

Thanks!

You need to use terminal to create a Debian package and then submit that package.

It's kinda hard and easy all at the same time?
I don't have the link handy, and I'm on my phone, but I was able to follow a tutorial I found using a google search, "how to create a Debian package"

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
In this post I will explain how to make a Cydia package ( a .deb file).

1. Make a folder on your desktop. Call it whatever your package is called.

Inside make a folder called DEBIAN and another folder that is called Library if your package is a theme, Applications if it is an app. For other package types, refer elseware. Open the DEBIAN folder, then open notepad. Type in
Package: "This is the identifier of the package"
Name: "Name of the program"
Version: "Program Version"
Architecture: iphoneos-arm
Depends: "Packages that need to be installed"
Description: "A description of the program"
Homepage: "'More Information' on the Details page
Depiction: "IF YOU WANT TO PUT A DEPICTION, THEN REFER ELSEWARE"
Maintainer: "Person to contact-Format='Name <email address>'"
Author: "Wrote the software, format same as Maintainer"
Sponsor: "Funded project-Format='Name <website>'"
Section: "Section in Cydia"

then replace all the fields in quotations with their values EXCEPT for Architecture and Depicture (Architecture=iphoneos-arm, Depiction should be blank)
Then save as control (no extension at all). Exit the DEBIAN folder and open the Library folder (if you made a theme) or the Applications folder (if you made an app). If you are in Library (for a theme), then create a new folder called Themes. If you are in Applications (for an app), then create a new folder called ----.app (replace the ----with the Application name). Only if you are making a theme, then, in the Themes folder, make another folder called ----.theme (replace ---- with theme name). In the folder you should now be in (either ----.theme or ----.app) download your theme or app (to find out how to make a theme or app, look elseware) content to the folder. Exit.

2. On your jailbroken iDevice download OpenSSH and Terminal. If are using a Mac, you need Cyberduck, if you are using a PC, you need WinSCP. SSH in and navigate to /
Create a new directory called cydia. Open it and create a new directory called apps. Open it and transfer the folder that you created in your desktop earlier to the apps directory. Now on your iDevice open Terminal. Type:
cd /cydia/apps/
dpkg -b ----

Where ---- is the name of the folder you transferred to /cydia/apps/

You will now have a file in /cydia/apps/ called ----.deb

3. (Only if you want to distribute your package in Cydia. Otherwise just copy/move the deb to /var/root/Cydia/AutoInstall/ creating some of the directories if necessary. When you reboot, your package will have been installed. However, if you wish to distribute in Cydia continue reading). Go to any repository and upload your deb and fill out all forms and requirements. If you can't find anywhere, then follow this link http://www.thebigboss.org/ and follow the instructions.

That's all there is to it!

I stole this directly from some guy at modmyi?
Like copy and paste type stealing.
Erikseguin is the dude

bgeorge

May 27, 2012
Visit site
In this post I will explain how to make a Cydia package ( a .deb file).

1. Make a folder on your desktop. Call it whatever your package is called.

Inside make a folder called DEBIAN and another folder that is called Library if your package is a theme, Applications if it is an app. For other package types, refer elseware. Open the DEBIAN folder, then open notepad. Type in
Package: "This is the identifier of the package"
Name: "Name of the program"
Version: "Program Version"
Architecture: iphoneos-arm
Depends: "Packages that need to be installed"
Description: "A description of the program"
Homepage: "'More Information' on the Details page
Depiction: "IF YOU WANT TO PUT A DEPICTION, THEN REFER ELSEWARE"
Maintainer: "Person to contact-Format='Name '"
Author: "Wrote the software, format same as Maintainer"
Sponsor: "Funded project-Format='Name '"
Section: "Section in Cydia"

then replace all the fields in quotations with their values EXCEPT for Architecture and Depicture (Architecture=iphoneos-arm, Depiction should be blank)
Then save as control (no extension at all). Exit the DEBIAN folder and open the Library folder (if you made a theme) or the Applications folder (if you made an app). If you are in Library (for a theme), then create a new folder called Themes. If you are in Applications (for an app), then create a new folder called ----.app (replace the ----with the Application name). Only if you are making a theme, then, in the Themes folder, make another folder called ----.theme (replace ---- with theme name). In the folder you should now be in (either ----.theme or ----.app) download your theme or app (to find out how to make a theme or app, look elseware) content to the folder. Exit.

2. On your jailbroken iDevice download OpenSSH and Terminal. If are using a Mac, you need Cyberduck, if you are using a PC, you need WinSCP. SSH in and navigate to /
Create a new directory called cydia. Open it and create a new directory called apps. Open it and transfer the folder that you created in your desktop earlier to the apps directory. Now on your iDevice open Terminal. Type:
cd /cydia/apps/
dpkg -b ----

Where ---- is the name of the folder you transferred to /cydia/apps/

You will now have a file in /cydia/apps/ called ----.deb

3. (Only if you want to distribute your package in Cydia. Otherwise just copy/move the deb to /var/root/Cydia/AutoInstall/ creating some of the directories if necessary. When you reboot, your package will have been installed. However, if you wish to distribute in Cydia continue reading). Go to any repository and upload your deb and fill out all forms and requirements. If you can't find anywhere, then follow this link http://www.thebigboss.org/ and follow the instructions.

That's all there is to it!

I stole this directly from some guy at modmyi?
Like copy and paste type stealing.
Erikseguin is the dude

Found this and gave it a go. Didn't work cause cyberduck didn't download right it. Is cyberduck the same thing as FileZilla? Transmit?

Also I am confused by "package" is this who host my package? Because I see on repo sites that they use this for the identifier " Package: com.saurik.myprogram" care to explain a little more in depth for a new person?
ums mobile

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Well you should just use terminal on your device.
So substitute terminal for all that cyber duck crap.
As for the names and what not just substitute your name at the "saurik" part

bgeorge

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Well you should just use terminal on your device.
So substitute terminal for all that cyber duck crap.
As for the names and what not just substitute your name at the "saurik" part

Alright will try this. Also do you have any video tutorials they you have used for ssh and terminal cause I'm just completely lost on all the ones I find.

I keep trying to do this command with the files on my desktop "dpkg-deb -b "cydia" and I keep getting an error saying -bash: dpkg-deb:command not found

Ever heard of this?

And then when i transfer the files to my iPhone and place them in the "/" I get an error saying info file 'cydia/DEBIAN/control' for reading no such file or directory.

The folder goes like this cydia/
DEBIAN/control
Library/Themes/NJDevilsLogo.theme

Last edited:

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Whoa, guys. For modmyi submissions you don't need to do any of this. You literally just send them a zip of your theme folder. So it would just be: ThemeName/ThemeContents zipped and uploaded via the dev portal at modmyi.com/mmi/

Source: I have made a bunch of themes on ModMyi.

bgeorge

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Whoa, guys. For modmyi submissions you don't need to do any of this. You literally just send them a zip of your theme folder. So it would just be: ThemeName/ThemeContents zipped and uploaded via the dev portal at modmyi.com/mmi/

Source: I have made a bunch of themes on ModMyi.

Yeah I noticed that about a week ago and thank goodness cause I couldn't figure out how to create a deb to save my life. ModMyi is great makes it very easy.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
well how do you make the control file?
who becomes the author?
etc???

Also being in charge of your own debian is kind of freeing and worth it.

bgeorge

May 27, 2012
Visit site
who becomes the author?
etc???

I did the control file in the DEBIAN folder just like you were building the actual deb. And the way they did it is I'm the author but modmyi is the maintainer.

and I would love to be able to create my own deb packages but I couldn't get it to work to save my Life.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
A little tutorial through pictures!
location of files shown using ifile? make sure you look at status bar for exact details?
Then terminal commands.ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1395387494.053859.jpgImageUploadedByiMore Forums1395387505.079273.jpgImageUploadedByiMore Forums1395387514.175680.jpgImageUploadedByiMore Forums1395387522.728905.jpgImageUploadedByiMore Forums1395387531.173677.jpgImageUploadedByiMore Forums1395387539.313952.jpgImageUploadedByiMore Forums1395387547.997248.jpgImageUploadedByiMore Forums1395387555.064468.jpgImageUploadedByiMore Forums1395387562.777925.jpgImageUploadedByiMore Forums1395387569.661580.jpgImageUploadedByiMore Forums1395387578.540199.jpg

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
who becomes the author?
etc???

You fill out that info when uploading the zip instead of creating a control file yourself. You can, though, update/pull packages through the dev portal. I agree that being able to do it all yourself is great but for some people it's a real challenge.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner