iPhone 4s Crazy battery drain please help

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello Kashan

I have a couple of recommendations for you:
1- I saw all the images but couldn't see if frequent locations is turned on, so go to settings --> privacy --> locations services --> system services --> frequent locations and if on, turn it off (unless you use it) I find that all the geolocation services are a major battery drainer so unless its necessary I turn them off.
2- Don't be afraid of using your 3G service, there is no fun on having one of this phones on edge.
3- Plug your phone to the charger whenever you want and need it, nothing will happen to the battery.
4- Restore your iphone, sometimes that helps a lot oh and keep in mind that the battery will drain whether you use the iphone or not, that's the way they work (of course it'll drain faster when in use). So if you still consider the battery goes down to fast then Restore your iphone.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Kashan Osama

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Hello Kashan

I have a couple of recommendations for you:
1- I saw all the images but couldn't see if frequent locations is turned on, so go to settings --> privacy --> locations services --> system services --> frequent locations and if on, turn it off (unless you use it) I find that all the geolocation services are a mayor battery drainer so unless its necessary I turn them off.
2- Don't be afraid of using your 3G service, there is no fun on having one of this phones on edge.
3- Plug your phone to the charger whenever you want and need it, nothing will happen to the battery.
4- Restore your iphone, sometimes that helps a lot oh and keep in mind that the battery will drain whether you use the iphone or not, that's the way they work (of course it'll drain faster when in use). So if you still consider the battery goes down to fast then Restore your iphone.

Good luck!

Thank you very very much for helping me Hope that evernote link hadn't bothered you much,thank you :)

Actually frequent locations are turned off :)

We only have 2g here actually,So presumbly it had to have a better life (when wifi se off) but it is not,which is insanely annoying

yep I charge it thrice a day which is annoying to say the least...

HenryLong

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I'd suggest to turn off Background App Refresh completely as it is known to occupy CPU leading to performance lag as well as battery drain.
Furthermore it seems you have a lot of apps providing push notification. Try to turn off push notification in all applications not being essential for your daily use.

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Just as HenryLong said; turn Background App Refresh completely off and turn all push notifications off which you don't need

Additionally you should do this:
Turn off paralax stuff
Turn off background updates
No dynamic wallpapers
Turn off localization if you don't need it
Turn down brightness
Turn off push in mail or at least only check every hour
Quit apps you don't use in switcher
Download apps only with wi-fi
Deinstall all apps you don't need/use
Turn off wifi and data if you don't use/need it
Turn off all daemons you don't need with iCleaner Pro
Don't use (many) themes
Use only really necessary Cydia stuff, especially if they use mobile substrate

Kashan Osama

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Just as HenryLong said; turn Background App Refresh completely off and turn all push notifications off which you don't need

Additionally you should do this:
Turn off paralax stuff
Turn off background updates
No dynamic wallpapers
Turn off localization if you don't need it
Turn down brightness
Turn off push in mail or at least only check every hour
Quit apps you don't use in switcher
Download apps only with wi-fi
Deinstall all apps you don't need/use
Turn off wifi and data if you don't use/need it
Turn off all daemons you don't need with iCleaner Pro
Don't use (many) themes
Use only really necessary Cydia stuff, especially if they use mobile substrate

Well so Now i am experimenting things

downloaded icleaner-Pro And disabled the following daemons

"safe daemons (it was an option there btw)"

"log files"

"spotlight"

airprint

icloud

assistive touch

custom vibration

OTA update daemon

Chinese WLAn daemon

gamecenter

passbook

And also disabled cydia tweaks via icleaner pro

Also ran the cleaner which recovered 1GB of space.....

set the phone to airplane mode + DOD

Disabled all notifications (pulled the notification to the "do not show tab below")

Disabled location services + Background app refresh + limit tracking + ads stuff all disabled

Check the battery Dr. App it is still nothing substantial free....USAGE: 320-345mb FREEE memory: 185-150 mb...

I can't seem to figure out how is it possible with so many daemons disabled??????

BTW Regarding charging: it is 3% so charging it to full,will tell tommorow,But i will test the battery to its fullest by restoring my settings to my needs AS

1. location services for 4 apps

2. Background refresh for 3 apps

3. 2g radio ON Wifi ALWAYS ON,Edge ON (in case wifi gets disconnected due to loadshedding,the phone will automatically switch to Edge)

4. Push notifications for 2 emails + 1 gmail app + Facebook messanger app + Whatsapp + Tango + Viber + Skype + Battery saver app + 3-4 other apps

5. Cydia tweaks ON

6. Reduce Motion ENABLED Increase Contrast ENABLED (otherwise I get a slight stutter at certain apps and always while rotation,but i actually really want transparent ios 7 menus etc)

My tweaks are

• BiteSms
  • Callbar
  • Multitasking gestures
  • Activator
  • Nitrous
  • iFile
  • iCleaner
  • Reminders+
  • CC settings
  • CCSystemStatus
  • Weasel
  • Gridswitcher
  • Fleksy Enabler
  • Appbox
  • call share
  • NC notes
  • Action menu pack plus
  • Interactive notifications
  • Flat Notes
  • Bloard
  • Pluck 2
  • liveweathericon
  • Active Alarm
  • Safari Download Enabler
  • Safari Downloader+
  • NoLowpoweralert

• CCclockopentoalarm

bytafont 2

My iTunes apps are:

• Dropbox
  • Viber
  • Whatsapp
  • Soundcloud
  • iheartradio
  • Songza
  • Google Maps
  • ibooks
  • iWork
  • Free Music downloader/Free music Downloader Pro
  • wattpad
  • Gmail/yahoo etc
  • Alarmed
  • Private Photo Vault
  • Tapatalk
  • Saavn
  • Fb messanger
  • Fb app
  • Facebook Pages
  • Evernote
  • VLC for iOS
  • 7 MINUTES workout challenge
  • reeder2
  • fantastical 2
  • documents by readdle
  • Documents2
  • CamMe
  • Groopic
  • Goodreader
  • ibooks
  • Sleep cycle alarm clock
  • Battery Doctor/Battery Saver
  • Launch Center pro

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
The above posters covered a lot but I'm gonna chime in. With proper management these phones get great battery life. I'm on a jailbroke iphone 4 that's had over 300 charge cycles or something like that and I just got 3 hours of usage and with 53% battery remaining and 7 hour standby time. And all ios batteries after ip4 have improved slightly every year.

I'm gonna say my trick is not to disable 3G/cellular data unless your on wifi these phones are no fun without one of two and 3G alone isn't gonna cause a battery drain that's noticeable. But when using one or the other disable the other one, this will help a lot. CCLoader and CCtoggles help make disabling and enabling whatever you want fast.

One of your problems is you have 3 pages of apps enabled in notification center. Keep it at one page or less. Meaning like one screen shot.

I think I saw you have 4 email accounts with 2 on push and 2 on fetch. I don't know your profession or how many emails you get but that's one of the battery drains too.

With the list of your cydia tweaks it doesn't look like you have anything extreme or major battery draining apps but maybe live weather icon. I use status weather for temp in my status bar and it refreshes every 2 min I think (set at max) it's been years since I used live weather icon so I'm not sure what kinda settings it has now or uses but make sure it doesn't do something like pull weather info constantly.

Icleaner pro is a great tool however I've only found it to be useful with freeing up space and some ram maybe but not helping with battery drain.

So like mentioned in the above posts and what you said you've done with a little tweaking to your preferences you should be ok.

But don't disable everything and anything because you had a battery drain issue it's not needed

Kashan Osama

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
The above posters covered a lot but I'm gonna chime in. With proper management these phones get great battery life. I'm on a jailbroke iphone 4 that's had over 300 charge cycles or something like that and I just got 3 hours of usage and with 53% battery remaining and 7 hour standby time. And all ios batteries after ip4 have improved slightly every year.

I'm gonna say my trick is not to disable 3G/cellular data unless your on wifi these phones are no fun without one of two and 3G alone isn't gonna cause a battery drain that's noticeable. But when using one or the other disable the other one, this will help a lot. CCLoader and CCtoggles help make disabling and enabling whatever you want fast.

One of your problems is you have 3 pages of apps enabled in notification center. Keep it at one page or less. Meaning like one screen shot.

I think I saw you have 4 email accounts with 2 on push and 2 on fetch. I don't know your profession or how many emails you get but that's one of the battery drains too.

With the list of your cydia tweaks it doesn't look like you have anything extreme or major battery draining apps but maybe live weather icon. I use status weather for temp in my status bar and it refreshes every 2 min I think (set at max) it's been years since I used live weather icon so I'm not sure what kinda settings it has now or uses but make sure it doesn't do something like pull weather info constantly.

Icleaner pro is a great tool however I've only found it to be useful with freeing up space and some ram maybe but not helping with battery drain.

So like mentioned in the above posts and what you said you've done with a little tweaking to your preferences you should be ok.

But don't disable everything and anything because you had a battery drain issue it's not needed

ahan thank you :) yes actually I don't want to disable more things cause what is the point of having a smartphone when you have everything disabled :p

So only conclusion which I can make up is I am a an moderately high user of the phone and this drain will remain there,Buying a battery case is the only remedy I guess..

But The thing which annoys me is the Stand-by drain,Stand-by drain doesn't have to be much

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Your notification center stuff is what's doing. When your phone is on stand by it's still receiving. I'm a heavy user of my iphone earlier I had 3 hours of usage and 6 hours of stand by that's alot. You know how the battery is with everything turned on. Try it like what I talked about and I think you'll be suprised. On wifi you should be able to get 6-8 hours of usage on a full battery with the normal notifications turned on, limit it down to 5-10, keep 3G unless on wifi, turn your screen down to 40-50%.

I might would disable liveweathericon alone and see if it helps

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73