Question on upgrading from 5.1.1 to 7.0.4

bimfibimfiu

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
My iPad2 was jail broken in 2012 when ios 5.1.1 was running. Since then I have not done any upgrading. Now that 7.0.4 is due to be upgraded soon, I want to try to upgrade to 7.0.4, then re-jail break my iPad. This topic probably has been addressed before, but I didn't take the time to search for the answer. So, what steps do I need to do prior to and after the upgrade? Should I back everything up on iTunes, or will iTunes prevent some of the "unauthorized" apps and programs from being backed up? I am really a novice when it comes to Apple products. I realize that I won't be using Absinthe during the new jail break, so which program do I need to download? What disadvantages or problems might I encounter if I decide to go through with it? Will I still be able to retrieve my necessary apps that are already installed on the iPad? If there is a "sticky" that I should read, could someone direct me to it? Thanks for any help you can afford to me.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
You should backup your data to iTunes or iCloud. Then, just restore with iTunes and it will also update to iOS 7.0.4. After that, restore from the backup and jailbreak with Evasi0n. You should be good to go after that.

RobertAdams313

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
iTunes will only back up App Store apps so if you have any pirated apps they won't be backed up and same goes for cydia tweaks/themes. You can use PKGBackup to back up tweaks although if you're coming from ios 5 I'm sure some of those tweaks won't be compatible. I would advise you maybe just make a list of those and download what's compatible afterwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bimfibimfiu

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Upgraded last week from 5.1.1 to 7.0.4 with little to no issues. Jail broke it again and installed most of my original tweaks and apps. Some of the ones I had before will not work with the latest iOS for now. Maybe later. One thing tat I did notice is that the battery life seems to diminish more rapidly now. Don't know if it's the newer version iOS or maybe a tweak or app doing it. I used to have SBSettings which would have a pull down that would allow adjustments to the brightness and wifi and other settings, but that version is not compatible so far. Other than that, I like the updated version of my iOS.

AmpedPotato

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Upgraded last week from 5.1.1 to 7.0.4 with little to no issues. Jail broke it again and installed most of my original tweaks and apps. Some of the ones I had before will not work with the latest iOS for now. Maybe later. One thing tat I did notice is that the battery life seems to diminish more rapidly now. Don't know if it's the newer version iOS or maybe a tweak or app doing it. I used to have SBSettings which would have a pull down that would allow adjustments to the brightness and wifi and other settings, but that version is not compatible so far. Other than that, I like the updated version of my iOS.

Try BattSaver BattSaver for iOS 7: manage your iPhone’s radios to increase battery life