'Other' Taking up 14GB Space

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey all. This topic has been covered before but a solution was never found at the time. I just noticed that 'Other' is taking up 13.92GB on my phone. This was around 3GB a week ago. I have no clue what it could be. I have not added any new tweaks in that time, I ran icleaner today, and I deleted all of my text messages. This happened to me once before, also when I was jailbroken, and the only solution was to completely restore to new and start all over. Any suggestions short of that? If not, I completely understand as it's a mystery more than anything.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
When you're connected to iTunes click on "backup now" and see if it clears it. This has happened a few times to me and that fixed it. Not every time, though. Worth a shot.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
When you're connected to iTunes click on "backup now" and see if it clears it. This has happened a few times to me and that fixed it. Not every time, though. Worth a shot.

Thanks! I gave it a shot and unfortunately it did not work for me. I wish there was a way to see what it actually comprised.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Thanks! I gave it a shot and unfortunately it did not work for me. I wish there was a way to see what it actually comprised.

To tell you the truth, probably nothing. Ever since iTunes 11 or whatever exactly it was that came out the same day as iOS 7 went public came out, it has been erratic. I wasn't able to sync music a few times because of this phantom capacity problem and I damn near threw my laptop and iDevices through a church window. I did a restore as new at one point also.

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Check under settings - general - usage. Lots of the time it's apps that have stored data.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey all. This topic has been covered before but a solution was never found at the time. I just noticed that 'Other' is taking up 13.92GB on my phone. This was around 3GB a week ago. I have no clue what it could be. I have not added any new tweaks in that time, I ran icleaner today, and I deleted all of my text messages. This happened to me once before, also when I was jailbroken, and the only solution was to completely restore to new and start all over. Any suggestions short of that? If not, I completely understand as it's a mystery more than anything.

I actually did look into it and I found out that it can be cause by an interrupted iTunes sync. When you transfer, for example music, iTunes will create temporary ghost files on the iOS device just before it start transferring the files. As it transfers the files it replaces the temporary ghost file with the actual file. If you cancel the sync with iTunes it will clear the temporary ghost files. But if you interrupt the syncing process by unplugging your iOS device or force iTunes to close, it can't clear these ghost files and it will remain on the iOS device until you restore it (there is/was a bug in iTunes where if you add more songs to sync while the iOS device was sync it will start syncing without deleting the ghost files and create another). These ghost files is seen as other by iTunes. Also remember that any videos you send and receive get stored into another folder on iOS and this folder is counted as "other" in iTunes.

*note: the above info is what I found with iTunes 10 & iOS 5.1.1 on my 4S in August 2012. Not sure if it still applies with iOS 7 & iTunes 11.1 though.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or iPod touch 5th gen using Tapatalk

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
All good information. I also found that corrupted files, and 'garbage files' as they were referred to due to jailbreaking can cause this. I can say that the only times I have had this issue have been while being jailbroken. Now that 7.05 is safe to jailbreak, I will likely restore to new, add my apps back individually, and jailbreak again but only install the tweaks I use regularly.

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you should use iCleaner for your iDevices and on PC you can use PhoneClean, I use it and can always get some space :)
And of course what all the others said as well

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I did use iCleaner last night and it cleared 2.5gb!! Actually it was doing this that alerted me to my issue lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Maybe you should use iCleaner for your iDevices and on PC you can use PhoneClean, I use it and can always get some space :)
And of course what all the others said as well

iCleaner Pro is great. Thanks for the tip on PhoneClean never heard of that before...

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I removed almost everything and gained more than 3 GB 😳

PS: Haha with the pro version you can activate/deactivate Mobile Substrates... never activate something which was off from the beginning xD
Caused an endless crash and reboot sequence... Only solution is to press volume up and reset the Mobile Substrate configuration ;)

wolfgangsmydog

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue on my 8G iPhone 4. I just today fixed it. First you wanna make sure you phone syncs and updates in iTunes. I clicked "Restore iPhone" in iTunes. Follow the prompts. It'll ask you to turn "Find my Phone" off under iCloud in Settings on your phone. Then you turn your phone off and continue. Took over an hour for iTunes to download software. Turn your phone back on and again click "Restore iPhone" and follow prompts. Once iTunes installs the downloaded iOS on your phone, you'll get a prompt to either restore to original settings or restore from backup. Choose restore from back up. I had less than a gig of memory on my phone before and now I have 4.75G and all my settings (apps, music, etc) are exactly the same as I left them.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro