I'm not terribly familiar with the jailbreak scene, but I figured if there were a group of people who know how to do hacky stuff to an iPhone, they'd be here

I'm getting a 1st gen iPhone soon, and I wanted to see if there's a good guide on how to install iPhone OS 1.0 on it. I've got the .ipsw file already, but looking around it seems like there's several different options on how to go about installing it, and I don't want to end up bricking it. Is there a good tutorial somewhere that folks here would recommend? Thanks!
    01-14-2014 05:47 PM
    NOTHING would work with iOS 1.0. Why would you want to install that iOS?
    01-14-2014 08:02 PM
    NOTHING would work with iOS 1.0. Why would you want to install that iOS?
    Why wouldn't anything work?
    01-14-2014 08:40 PM
    Why wouldn't anything work?

Really....What app do u know that's compatible with iOS 1
    tinktink09is likes this.
    01-14-2014 08:48 PM
    I'm not terribly familiar with the jailbreak scene, but I figured if there were a group of people who know how to do hacky stuff to an iPhone, they'd be here

I'm getting a 1st gen iPhone soon, and I wanted to see if there's a good guide on how to install iPhone OS 1.0 on it. I've got the .ipsw file already, but looking around it seems like there's several different options on how to go about installing it, and I don't want to end up bricking it. Is there a good tutorial somewhere that folks here would recommend? Thanks!
    If you check the iPhone 2G forum on here there isn't much on doing this. I found 1 post from a guy and he never posted again.
    Go with what you find on the net for going to iOS 1x. If you brick it that's the chance you take.

I have a Original iPhone. It's cool to boot up every now and and then but that's it. Great piece of tech history and a collectible.
    kataran likes this.
    01-14-2014 09:09 PM

Why on earth would you want to do this?

Sent from my Retina iPad mini using iMore Forums mobile app
    01-14-2014 10:09 PM
    Please don't install the OS it started out with. iOS 3.1.3 is the highest it can go. You should beg whoever is giving you that phone to get you a iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 instead since both would also be cheaper than the iPhone 5S.

This post was made by Tiffany
    01-14-2014 10:47 PM
    Please don't install the OS it started out with. iOS 3.1.3 is the highest it can go. You should beg whoever is giving you that phone to get you a iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 instead since both would also be cheaper than the iPhone 5S.

This post was made by Tiffany
    I'm not planning on using it as my phone, I bought it more as a collector's item since I found it for a good price. I want to install 1.0 on it just to have something to look back on where it all began. I managed to get 2.0 on my old 3G a while back, but I've since forgotten how I did it, so that's why I came here to ask.
    01-14-2014 10:54 PM
    One instance I read on Mac Rumors of someone trying to do this it sounded like hell. They did everything from rolling back a Mac OS and iTunes 8x. I don't think they accomplished it.

I understand the collectibility factor of the first iPhone and first iOS.
    Just keep researching it. I've seen a few on EBay in the box never opened but they go for crazy loot.

I saw a 3GS out there for 60 bucks I may want to snag as a collectible. I had one unfortunately I gave it to a family member who destroyed it.
    01-14-2014 11:16 PM
    One instance I read on Mac Rumors of someone trying to do this it sounded like hell. They did everything from rolling back a Mac OS and iTunes 8x. I don't think they accomplished it.

I understand the collectibility factor of the first iPhone and first iOS.
    Just keep researching it. I've seen a few on EBay in the box never opened but they go for crazy loot.

I saw a 3GS out there for 60 bucks I may want to snag as a collectible. I had one unfortunately I gave it to a family member who destroyed it.
    So sad.
    01-15-2014 02:11 PM
    Well think if this the first Apple I computers are worth hundreds of thousands today in mint condition.

Not likely first iphone will reach that value being as there are so many out there. Probably by the time it has serious value, it sure won't be able to connect to whatever wireless protocols exist then
    Last edited by acadia11; 01-15-2014 at 06:23 PM.
    01-15-2014 02:58 PM
    Here's a eBay listing for a never opened 1st Gen iPhone. $5499.00

01-15-2014 04:53 PM
    WoW 😳

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB
    01-15-2014 06:01 PM

LOL! Are you kidding us with this post?????

To answer you question...NEGATIVE!

If you find a way, post screens though, LOL!!
    01-15-2014 06:03 PM
    The chance of bricking the phone is higher than the success rate so I would say it's not worth it.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    01-15-2014 06:56 PM
    The chance of bricking the phone is higher than the success rate so I would say it's not worth it.

It's pretty hard to brick an iPhone. No matter the gen.
    01-15-2014 08:00 PM
    So it's easy to put iOS 1 on the iPhone 2G without bricking it like the OP has asked?

01-15-2014 08:09 PM
    I found this in my searching, anyone able to vet it?

How to Downgrade from iOS 3.1.3 Back to iOS 1.0
    01-15-2014 08:24 PM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/16/myqu3yvy.jpg
    Tip. Buy a new iPhone 5S and keep it and don't open the box for 6 years then sell it on eBay. You have now just made over $4,000 profit.
    01-15-2014 08:36 PM
    Very easy to brick first generation iPhones
    01-15-2014 08:38 PM
    I found this in my searching, anyone able to vet it?

How to Downgrade from iOS 3.1.3 Back to iOS 1.0
    Yea this what someone on Mac Rumors did. I think along with iTunes 7x you will probably need Mac OS X Tiger or something. Might be hard finding a early version of OSX unless you have the Disc laying around. I had a G4 PowerBook when I got the original iPhone on launch day.
    01-15-2014 10:00 PM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/16/myqu3yvy.jpg
    And anyone who buys that is just plain dumb.
    01-15-2014 10:22 PM
    So it's easy to put iOS 1 on the iPhone 2G without bricking it like the OP has asked?

I said it's pretty tough to brick (and I say that as terminally bricked) an iPhone, period. Putting iOS 1 on the first gen doesn't mean that if it's bricked that it's bricked for life.
    01-16-2014 02:04 AM
    I understand what the OP is trying to do and wish the best of luck. Would be kind of cool to have a 1.0 device for your collection. Granted there was no app store back then, no mms however just to play with I think it might be worth the effort.
    01-16-2014 11:37 AM
    And anyone who buys that is just plain dumb.
    Maybe not. It's a collectors item.
    01-18-2014 10:45 PM
28 12