Installing iPhone OS 1.0

RFMagician

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I'm not terribly familiar with the jailbreak scene, but I figured if there were a group of people who know how to do hacky stuff to an iPhone, they'd be here :)

I'm getting a 1st gen iPhone soon, and I wanted to see if there's a good guide on how to install iPhone OS 1.0 on it. I've got the .ipsw file already, but looking around it seems like there's several different options on how to go about installing it, and I don't want to end up bricking it. Is there a good tutorial somewhere that folks here would recommend? Thanks!

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm not terribly familiar with the jailbreak scene, but I figured if there were a group of people who know how to do hacky stuff to an iPhone, they'd be here :)

I'm getting a 1st gen iPhone soon, and I wanted to see if there's a good guide on how to install iPhone OS 1.0 on it. I've got the .ipsw file already, but looking around it seems like there's several different options on how to go about installing it, and I don't want to end up bricking it. Is there a good tutorial somewhere that folks here would recommend? Thanks!

If you check the iPhone 2G forum on here there isn't much on doing this. I found 1 post from a guy and he never posted again.
Go with what you find on the net for going to iOS 1x. If you brick it that's the chance you take.

I have a Original iPhone. It's cool to boot up every now and and then but that's it. Great piece of tech history and a collectible.

Reparkable

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site

Why on earth would you want to do this?

Sent from my Retina iPad mini using iMore Forums mobile app

thatgirl87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Please don't install the OS it started out with. iOS 3.1.3 is the highest it can go. You should beg whoever is giving you that phone to get you a iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 instead since both would also be cheaper than the iPhone 5S.

This post was made by Tiffany

RFMagician

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Please don't install the OS it started out with. iOS 3.1.3 is the highest it can go. You should beg whoever is giving you that phone to get you a iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 instead since both would also be cheaper than the iPhone 5S.

This post was made by Tiffany

I'm not planning on using it as my phone, I bought it more as a collector's item since I found it for a good price. I want to install 1.0 on it just to have something to look back on where it all began. I managed to get 2.0 on my old 3G a while back, but I've since forgotten how I did it, so that's why I came here to ask.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
One instance I read on Mac Rumors of someone trying to do this it sounded like hell. They did everything from rolling back a Mac OS and iTunes 8x. I don't think they accomplished it.

I understand the collectibility factor of the first iPhone and first iOS.
Just keep researching it. I've seen a few on EBay in the box never opened but they go for crazy loot.

I saw a 3GS out there for 60 bucks I may want to snag as a collectible. I had one unfortunately I gave it to a family member who destroyed it.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
One instance I read on Mac Rumors of someone trying to do this it sounded like hell. They did everything from rolling back a Mac OS and iTunes 8x. I don't think they accomplished it.

I understand the collectibility factor of the first iPhone and first iOS.
Just keep researching it. I've seen a few on EBay in the box never opened but they go for crazy loot.

I saw a 3GS out there for 60 bucks I may want to snag as a collectible. I had one unfortunately I gave it to a family member who destroyed it.

So sad.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Well think if this the first Apple I computers are worth hundreds of thousands today in mint condition.

Not likely first iphone will reach that value being as there are so many out there. Probably by the time it has serious value, it sure won't be able to connect to whatever wireless protocols exist then ;)

Last edited:

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Here's a eBay listing for a never opened 1st Gen iPhone. $5499.00

myqu3yvy.jpg

tinktink09is

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site

LOL! Are you kidding us with this post?????

To answer you question...NEGATIVE!

If you find a way, post screens though, LOL!!:raised-eyebrow:

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The chance of bricking the phone is higher than the success rate so I would say it's not worth it.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen