iOS 7 jailbreak is here

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Regarding tethering....

https://insidersguide.vzw.com/legal/important-information/

See the above link. Regardless of your interpretation of whether tethering is legal or not with unlimited data this is the official policy. I only highlighted those sections I though were of interest.

Scroll down the document to see this:

You may use Mobile Hotspot or any other Wi-Fi hotspot or tethering service to use your smartphone or basic phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot or to tether it to your computer or tablet. If you subscribe to a data plan or package with an unlimited data allowance, there is an additional monthly fee to do so.

and this:

■ Data Services: Prohibited Uses

You may not use our Data Services for illegal purposes or purposes that infringe upon others’ intellectual property rights, or in a manner that interferes with other users’ service; that violates trade and economic sanctions and prohibitions as promulgated by the departments

of Commerce, Treasury or any other U.S. government agency; that interferes with the network’s ability to fairly allocate capacity among users or that otherwise degrades service quality for other users. Examples of prohibited usage include: (i) server devices or host computer applications that are broadcast to multiple servers or recipients such that they could enable “bots” or similar routines (as set forth in more detail in (ii) below) or otherwise degrade network capacity or functionality; (ii) “auto-responders,” “cancel-bots,” or similar automated or manual routines that generate amounts of net traffic that could disrupt net user groups or email use by others; (iii) generating “spam” or unsolicited commercial or bulk email (or activities that facilitate the dissemination of such email); (iv) any activity that adversely affects the ability of other users or systems to use either Verizon Wireless’ services or the Internet-based resources of others, including the generation or dissemination of viruses, malware or “denial of service” attacks; (v) accessing, or attempting to access without authority, the information, accounts or devices of others, or to penetrate, or attempt to penetrate, Verizon Wireless’ or another entity’s network or systems; or (vi) running software or other devices that maintain continuous active Internet connections when a computer’s connection would otherwise be idle, or “keep alive” functions, unless they adhere to Verizon Wireless’ requirements for such usage, which may be changed from time to time.

We further reserve the right to take measures to protect our network and other users from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance. These measures may impact your service, and we reserve the right to deny, modify or terminate service, with or without notice, to anyone we believe is using Data Plans or Features in a manner that adversely impacts our network. We may monitor your compliance, or other subscribers’ compliance, with these terms and conditions, but we will not monitor the content of your communications except as otherwise expressly permitted or required by law. [See verizonwireless.com/privacy]

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Regarding tethering....

Why would you bold "accessing, or attempting to access without authority, the information, accounts or devices of others, or to penetrate, or attempt to penetrate, Verizon Wireless’ or another entity’s network or systems?"

That covers two situations: accessing someone else's devices or penetrating Verizon's servers.

Neither of those are anything remotely related to tethering.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

Why would you bold "accessing, or attempting to access without authority, the information, accounts or devices of others, or to penetrate, or attempt to penetrate, Verizon Wireless’ or another entity’s network or systems?"

That covers two situations: accessing someone else's devices or penetrating Verizon's servers.

Neither of those are anything remotely related to tethering.

"attempt to penetrate, Verizon Wireless’ or another entity’s network or systems;"

This is the applicable line. Jailbreaking and tethering without paying the requisite fee, if fee is required not on family share plan but on unlimited data, amounts to penetrating the network(sic). The wording is certainly vague enough to be considered hacking into the system.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

The wording is rather precise. You're not attempting to penetrate their network. Penetrate is the key word. It's not applicable by any stretch. The only reason you think so is because you do not understand what tethering is or you're hoping to cling to an absurd point.

Your other point is only relevant to the 3G bands. It is not relevant to the LTE bands. The issue isn't whether or not it's legal to tether. Within the LTE bands, the issue is whether or not it is legal for Verizon to restrict access in any way. If it's not legal, the terms of service are null and void anywhere they attempt to restrict the service. It's similar to me signing a contract with you where you agree to work for $5/hr and waive your right to minimum wage. The clause isn't legal so it cannot be enforced.

You've made it clear you don't understand what tethering is. You've made it clear you don't understand how to construct an actual argument. You've made it clear your opinion is based entirely on emotion rather than logic, reason, or law. Why exactly are you still arguing your nonsensical point?

DayThyme

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

If it's not legal, the terms of service are null and void anywhere they attempt to restrict the service. It's similar to me signing a contract with you where you agree to work for $5/hr and waive your right to minimum wage. The clause isn't legal so it cannot be enforced.
Exactly. Thanks. Companies/people can put anything they want into contracts. Doesn't mean it is legal for them to do so and if it is not, they are void, voidable and otherwise unenforceable.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

The wording is rather precise. You're not attempting to penetrate their network. Penetrate is the key word. It's not applicable by any stretch. The only reason you think so is because you do not understand what tethering is or you're hoping to cling to an absurd point.

Your other point is only relevant to the 3G bands. It is not relevant to the LTE bands. The issue isn't whether or not it's legal to tether. Within the LTE bands, the issue is whether or not it is legal for Verizon to restrict access in any way. If it's not legal, the terms of service are null and void anywhere they attempt to restrict the service. It's similar to me signing a contract with you where you agree to work for $5/hr and waive your right to minimum wage. The clause isn't legal so it cannot be enforced.

You've made it clear you don't understand what tethering is. You've made it clear you don't understand how to construct an actual argument. You've made it clear your opinion is based entirely on emotion rather than logic, reason, or law. Why exactly are you still arguing your nonsensical point?

You can do whatever you want. This is between you and verizon. If you think its nonsensical have at it. If the rest of us have to pay a fee to tether and you do it for free by j/b sounds like hacking to me. If it walks like a duck...

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

Exactly. Thanks. Companies/people can put anything they want into contracts. Doesn't mean it is legal for them to do so and if it is not, they are void, voidable and otherwise unenforceable.

And so far i havent heard VZW losing a whole lot of cases on this exact subject. They probably have a bigger legal staff than you. :)

DayThyme

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I have 450 minutes of talk, 250 texts, and 2GB of data per month. I want to get a Retina iPad mini and feed it internet via wifi tethering from my iPhone. As long as I don't go over my 2GB limit, it's none of Verizons business whether I surf the web on my phone or the iPad. If I go over my data limit, I expect to pay for the overage and don't have a problem paying, but if I stay under my 2GB limit, I'm using the data I paid for and it's not stealing.
Per the consent decree, Verizon agreed not to block native tethering if you are on a tiered data plan. You should be able to tether on Verizon using your 2GB plan without jailbreaking.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Show me where Verizon's T&C as presently written has been found in violation of any law and/or rendered null and void.

DayThyme

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Show me where Verizon's T&C as presently written has been found in violation of any law and/or rendered null and void.
As to unlimited data users, someone would have to sue verizon or file a complaint with the FCC for that to happen. No one has so far and I am unwilling to do it as the real issue is DOES VERIZON HAVE TO OFFER UNLIMITED DATA AFTER YOUR CONTRACT EXPIRES? I believe the answer to that question is No. So I don't want to push the envelope on this because once a contract expires, they don't have to renew it and that alone could cause the loss of unlimited data.

However, as long as we do have unlimited data, they can't restrict our use of tethering apps on their 4G LTE network as per the terms of their block c licenses. But once our contracts expire, they can eliminate unlimited data for us.

Just to reiterate - as long as Verizon offers me unlimited data, they can't stop me from tethering on their block c spectrum. HOWEVER, once my contract with them expires, they can eliminate my unlimited data plan. They have never done that, though, so I am happy to stay a verizon customer.

So far, Verizon has decided to avoid the negative publicity that would occur if they eliminated unlimited data plans. Instead, they are using carrots to entice people off of unlimited data - subsidized phones and the Data Max plan. Pretty soon very few of us unlimited data plan owners will exist due to these carrots and they are banking on that.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

And so far i havent heard VZW losing a whole lot of cases on this exact subject. They probably have a bigger legal staff than you. :)

You haven't heard of them winning any cases. You'd have heard of them losing a rather large case if you paid attention. You can see either of the links I offered Keith.

I'm not on the grandfathered plan. I'm on the plan that offers tethering for free. It's the plan Verizon came out with around the time of the lawsuits they lost. Apparently, the FCC has a bigger legal staff than they do by your logic.

You only think it sounds like hacking because you haven't the slightest clue what hacking is. You probably think downloading an app from that China app store is hacking as well.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

Verizon to stop blocking tethering apps, settles with FCC for $1.25 million
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57484000-38/verizon-to-pay-$1.25m-fcc-fine-forced-to-allow-tethering-apps/

They are not blocking the apps they are blocking the tethering. Talk about my reading comprehension, from the blurb you posted:

Though it's not explicitly stated, we assume that means those of you lucky enough to be grandfathered in to the unlimited data plans are left out.

Which is what I was saying all along. Unlimited data plan users are required to pay a fee to tether. If you read my posts.

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

None of you worms are going to convince each other about the data plans and laws.

Furthermore, you have no respect from those not participating in the thread hijacking.

DayThyme

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

None of you worms are going to convince each other about the data plans and laws.

Furthermore, you have no respect from those not participating in the thread hijacking.
There is nothing to respect about someone who calls legitimate posters worms.

Shoo fly.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

There is nothing to respect about someone who calls legitimate posters worms.

Shoo fly.

You could of made a new thread about it, but then again I wasn't expecting this many posts about it.

For the record I don't care about how you use your device, I cant stop you from doing so.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod Touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Can somebody update the thread title please. I just wasted 15 minutes of my life I can't get back reading about tethering. ;)

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods