How to safely erase data without losing the jailbreak?

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Apologies if this has been addressed already.

I'm planning on selling my jailbroken iP5 and have heard conflicting opinions as to which is the most reliable way to erase data without losing my jailbreak.

Should I use the iFans method (see link below):

[How To] "Erase All Content and Settings" while jailbroken (without losing your jailbreak) | iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch forums | iFans

OR

a program called "semi-erase?"

Also, aside from changing all my passwords after selling my phone, what are other security steps I can take?

Thanks in advance!

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Apologies if this has been addressed already.

I'm planning on selling my jailbroken iP5 and have heard conflicting opinions as to which is the most reliable way to erase data without losing my jailbreak.

Should I use the iFans method (see link below):

[How To] "Erase All Content and Settings" while jailbroken (without losing your jailbreak) | iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch forums | iFans

OR

a program called "semi-erase?"

Also, aside from changing all my passwords after selling my phone, what are other security steps I can take?

Thanks in advance!

NEVER EVER, EVER hit "erase all" setting on a jailbroken device. You have 2 options, use Semi-Restore as u stated or iLex-Rat from Cydia. Either option will restore your device and preserve your jailbreak.

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
NEVER EVER, EVER hit "erase all" setting on a jailbroken device. You have 2 options, use Semi-Restore as u stated or iLex-Rat from Cydia. Either option will restore your device and preserve your jailbreak.

Thanks!

I'm just wondering which of the two options (iLex-Rat/Semi-Restore) is more reliable. I just sold my phone and need to ship it out tomorrow. I want to make sure I can safely erase my personal data without having the phone encounter boot-up problems as some other users have experienced.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

098v

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I've used iLex-RAT on phones that have needed to do this, it's really easy to use and get it done faster than anything else I've used, Semi-Restore is alright but really it's all preference, if you want it done "fast" and easy use iLex-RAT or you can go with Semi-Restore either one is fine.

Tappin' and talkin' from my Semi-Untethered 6.1.3 iPhone 4

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I personally preferred Semi-Restore, although you may have to add the "PreferenceLoader" package from Cydia

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods