Which version of iOS comes on a new iPad 4?

alex_kimo

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys,
I'm planning to buy a new ipad 4 from some shop in the area i live in
but i need to know which ios is it going to have because i need to jailbreak it
so i asked the guys that are working in the shop about the ios version
but they said that the only way to know is to open the box
so i refused to buy it because i'm not ready to wait for a long time till they release a JB for the new 6.1.3 ios
because the same thing happened when i bought my psp long time ago and i had to wait for a long time till they released a kernel exploit for it
when i came back to home i started searching google for some way to predict the ios version on the ipad
and the only way i found was putting the serial number in this website Klantenservice: Serienummers
but i need to try it before i go to the shop again
so can anyone help me by telling me the ios version which came with his/her ipad and it's serial number so that i can be sure if the website's info is correct or not ?
or if anyone knows another way to know the ios installed on it before i open the box please tell me about it

thanks in advance :)

098v

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
hello @karenkcoulter,
thanks for your fast respond
but doesn't that website "which i provided a link to" help ?

In the time that I've been jail breaking devices I have never seen a site like this and I do not trust it but I will try it out on an old and broken iPod 2nd Gen to see if the site is legit. Should have it in about 10-20min as I jut woke up and I'm going to eat right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

098v

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Alright so I did a quick check with my iPod Nano 3rd Gen (AKA the fat one with a screen) an it showed everything but the iOS, the iPod runs 1.1.3. So it's good and all for other information but not for finding out the iOS. Below I have included an image showing the results of searching my iPod's serial code.
e3eba7a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alex_kimo

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
@098v
yeah thanks a lot
i've tried one of my friends' ipad serial number and it wasn't able to get any of the information
but luckily, i've found the way to predict the ios and i guess it's going to work "i hope so"
the result displayed the year of production as 2007 because the third number of the serial number is 7 also the week number was shown as 42 because the 4-5th numbers are 42
but this way works only on any apple's product that was made before 2010
since 2010 apple changed the serial numbers to become 12 characters instead of 11 and also they started using letters instead of numbers
so the way of predicting the ios also changed
the 4th character of the serial number represents the year of production but they had to split the year into two halves and they used the letters A-Z except the vowels "A E I O U" and the B letter so the C letter for example represents the first half of 2010, the letter D represents the second half of 2010 and the letter F "because E is one of the exceptions" represents the first half of 2011... etc
the 5th character of the serial number represents the week of production but now they're using both numbers and letters excepts the vowels "A E I O U" and the letters : B S Z
so if for example the 5th character of the serial number is C it will represent the week number 10 D is for the week number 11, F is for the week number 12, T is for the week number 23 "instead of S as it's one of the exceptions"
so if for example the 4th and 5th characters of the serial number are JT it means that the product was produced in the second half of 2012 and in the week number 23
so what we have to do with our result is to open the calendar and count the number of the weeks of course we know that each half includes 27 weeks so let's try this method on our example "JT" as we said it means that the production week is number 23 but don't forget that it's the second half of the year so we should add 27 to 23 so we get 50 which means the week number 50 from 2012 so if we opened our calendar and checked for the date we'll find that our product was made in the range between " 16-December-2012 " and " 23-December-2012 "
and now the next step is to check the release dates of some iOSs so that we predict which ios version is it having... after some searching i've found that it's going to have either ios 6.0.1 because it was released on the 1st/nov/2012 or maybe 6.0.2 because it was released on the 18th/dec/2012 but the percentage of having ios 6.0.1 is more than having ios 6.0.2

i'm going to make a new thread explaining the method but when i come back because i'm going to buy the new ipad "i hope i find an early made product :/ "
thanks for everyone ^^

Last edited:

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
@098v
yeah thanks a lot
i've tried one of my friends' ipad serial number and it wasn't able to get any of the information
but luckily, i've found the way to predict the ios and i guess it's going to work "i hope so"
the result displayed the year of production as 2007 because the third number of the serial number is 7 also the week number was shown as 42 because the 4-5th numbers are 42
but this way works only on any apple's product that was made before 2010
since 2010 apple changed the serial numbers to become 12 characters instead of 11 and also they started using letters instead of numbers
so the way of predicting the ios also changed
the 4th character of the serial number represents the year of production but they had to split the year into two halves and they used the letters A-Z except the vowels "A E I O U" and the B letter so the C letter for example represents the first half of 2010, the letter D represents the second half of 2010 and the letter F "because E is one of the exceptions" represents the first half of 2011... etc
the 5th character of the serial number represents the week of production but now they're using both numbers and letters excepts the vowels "A E I O U" and the letters : B S Z
so if for example the 5th character of the serial number is C it will represent the week number 10 D is for the week number 11, F is for the week number 12, T is for the week number 23 "instead of S as it's one of the exceptions"
so if for example the 4th and 5th characters of the serial number are JT it means that the product was produced in the second half of 2012 and in the week number 23
so what we have to do with our result is to open the calendar and count the number of the weeks of course we know that each half includes 27 weeks so let's try this method on our example "JT" as we said it means that the production week is number 23 but don't forget that it's the second half of the year so we should add 27 to 23 so we get 50 which means the week number 50 from 2012 so if we opened our calendar and checked for the date we'll find that our product was made in the range between " 16-December-2012 " and " 23-December-2012 "
and now the next step is to check the release dates of some iOSs so that we predict which ios version is it having... after some searching i've found that it's going to have either ios 6.0.1 because it was released on the 1st/nov/2012 or maybe 6.0.2 because it was released on the 18th/dec/2012 but the percentage of having ios 6.0.1 is more than having ios 6.0.2

i'm going to make a new thread explaining the method but when i come back because i'm going to buy the new ipad "i hope i find an early made product :/ "
thanks for everyone ^^

That's all well and good, except it's Sept in 2013. You'll need to find an iPad that was made nearly a year ago. Good luck with that.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner