iPad Restore, Root Filesystem? For a Developer/Programer

dmsweibel

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I have a question, when restoring an iPad from iTunes, does it,

A long time back in 2011, I had a jailbroken iPad 2. I had iFile which allows me to access the root filesystem (folder: var). I created a file containing my personal passwords. The file is not a default system file. Since the banning of jailbreaking on tablets in 2012. I restored the iPad to its defaults from iTunes. Now I am wondering, did the iTunes Restore, delete that file left in the var folder? I intend to sell my iPad and would hopefully be assured that the iTunes Restore deleted that file.

-Regards

Notes: I do not want to re-jailbreak the iPad and look for it myself because it is no longer allowed.

098v

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Yes it did delete the files but to make sure plug in your iPad into you computer and make sure that your device's pass code lock is disabled, if you have one on it, now open up iTunes and click on your device on the top right and where it says restore shift-click, for Windows, or command-click l, for Mac, this will bring up a pop up screen which will ask you to locate the IPSW to restore to find it and choose the selected IPSW you want to use and follow the steps on screen this will restore the iPad to factory setting completely empty of contacts, apps, whatever, it will be erased from your uPad as if it never existed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmsweibel

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Can you possibly explain what the restore does? Does it format the ipad then reinstall the software? So all filesystem directories are erased cleaned, and third party software or data is wiped? Is that how apple retains a zero virus capability?

098v

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Can you possibly explain what the restore does? Does it format the ipad then reinstall the software? So all filesystem directories are erased cleaned, and third party software or data is wiped? Is that how apple retains a zero virus capability?

More or less that's what this restore method does, this method wipes the device clean of files and any folders then installs the firmware leaving the device as if it was brand new, if you still don't get it (sorry if it sounded rude), it's like installing/upgrading your PC's OS to a higher version, it formats the drives so it's completely empty then installs the new OS. As for the virus free thing it's not always virus free as those data are coming to an end as before there was a virus released called FlashBack ad FlashFake both of which were later fixed but still it shows that you can get a virus on a Mac. Read more here : m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1625110

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

savillev

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
How do I get to the root directory on an iPad 3rd gen? I lost audiobook/sound and one thread stated to delete a line from the directory.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234