So I have a 16GB i5, which was previously jailbroken, I think back during one of the first iOS6 versions. I don't quite remember what the version was. Then I cracked my phone's screen, and used my AppleCare to have it replaced. I was then given a 6.1.4 i5. So now obviously I can't jailbreak it. But I still have a ton of jailbreak stuff on my phone apparently, as dictated by the 10GB of other storage I have when I open iTunes.

I want to delete it all, because there isn't going to be a jailbreak anytime soon. I'm a little iffy on restoring my phone through iTunes, because everytime I Do it, something goes wrong, or my backup just mysteriously disappears. I've actually done it before, and restored to my backup, and then the 10GB came back. Is there a way to clean out the phones cache storage (again with out a jailbreak) or something of the sort? Maybe to just clean up a little bit of space? I don't want to do a full clean wipe, because then I don't know how I'm going to get all my contacts and pictures back etc. I just don't trust iTunes to do it for me.

Has anybody done it and had success with it? Without losing anything and getting rid of all that stupid other storage? I could use any help that is available. Thanks.
    08-20-2013 04:14 PM
    So I have a 16GB i5, which was previously jailbroken, I think back during one of the first iOS6 versions. I don't quite remember what the version was. Then I cracked my phone's screen, and used my AppleCare to have it replaced. I was then given a 6.1.4 i5. So now obviously I can't jailbreak it. But I still have a ton of jailbreak stuff on my phone apparently, as dictated by the 10GB of other storage I have when I open iTunes.

I want to delete it all, because there isn't going to be a jailbreak anytime soon. I'm a little iffy on restoring my phone through iTunes, because everytime I Do it, something goes wrong, or my backup just mysteriously disappears. I've actually done it before, and restored to my backup, and then the 10GB came back. Is there a way to clean out the phones cache storage (again with out a jailbreak) or something of the sort? Maybe to just clean up a little bit of space? I don't want to do a full clean wipe, because then I don't know how I'm going to get all my contacts and pictures back etc. I just don't trust iTunes to do it for me.

Has anybody done it and had success with it? Without losing anything and getting rid of all that stupid other storage? I could use any help that is available. Thanks.

Restore as new and retrieve ur contacts from iCloud. If u are restoring from a backup then some jb data may be transferring over even tho u aren't jailbroken.
    08-20-2013 05:35 PM
    Restore as new and retrieve ur contacts from iCloud. If u are restoring from a backup then some jb data may be transferring over even tho u aren't jailbroken.
    It'd be more accurate to say data, in general, is being transferred as part of that backup. In time, users that don't jailbreak can experience the same issue.

Although, it's fair to say the original poster suggesting anything is "still on" a new phone isn't quite sure how backups work.
    08-20-2013 11:48 PM
    Ya I found "other" to be media in messages, apps like numbers, pages.
    I had 8Gb other with restore(backup) and did restore again without and only had 700MB.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    08-21-2013 11:13 AM
    Like the above poster says, "Other" can be a ton of non-jailbreak things--videos, stuff people have messaged you, documents, cached mail, etc. If you don't feel like digging through it all, the best/easiest way is to simply do a Restore As New and then add back the stuff you really need.
    08-21-2013 11:54 AM