iPhone 4s, iOS 5 restore confirmation

Skippy

Oct 21, 2009
Visit site
ello!
Gonna give my old iPhone 4s to my daugther as a birthday present. Just need to dubble check something before I do something stupid since I haven't been very active with iOS 5 for a while. My iOS on my 4s is currently 5.0.1 and I have SHSH blob to 5.1 and 5.1.1. Can I restore to 5.1.1 with TinyUmbrella and then jailbreak with Absinthe? Just asking and dubbel checking since I know you can't restore iOS 6 without updating to the most recent release of iOS 6.

Thanks in advance!

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
No. You cannot.

You have two options. The easiest way to do what you want is to sync your phone with a blank iTunes library. That should remove your personal data from the phone.

The other option would be to try and re-restore with redsn0w. You cannot do this if you installed your firmware OTA.

It is not iOS 6 that limits what firmwares you can restore to. This had always been a problem, even more so on the 4S and up.

Skippy

Oct 21, 2009
Visit site
Hm, didn't you missread what I wrote now? :confused:

"My iOS on my 4s is currently 5.0.1 and I have SHSH blob to 5.1 and 5.1.1. Can I restore to 5.1.1 with TinyUmbrella and then jailbreak with Absinthe?"

No. You cannot.

You have two options. The easiest way to do what you want is to sync your phone with a blank iTunes library. That should remove your personal data from the phone.

The other option would be to try and re-restore with redsn0w. You cannot do this if you installed your firmware OTA.

It is not iOS 6 that limits what firmwares you can restore to. This had always been a problem, even more so on the 4S and up.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
How did I mis-read it? You cannot use Tiny Umbrella to restore, you can only use redsn0w as I mentioned. Furthermore, this can only be done if both your 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 firmwares were installed fresh from iTunes and not OTA.

However, if all you want is to remove your data from the phone while keeping it jailbroken, syncing to a blank iTunes library usually does the trick.

Skippy

Oct 21, 2009
Visit site
Or maybe I did yours, but I thought it were just iPhone 5 and iOS 6 that were not restoreable to the current iOS on the device or lower but still 6.xx.?

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
What you're looking for utilizes a bootrom exploit. This exists for the older 3GS phones, the 3G phone, and the 4. There isn't such an exploit for the 4s nor the 5.

Anything 4s or newer complicates the process.

Skippy

Oct 21, 2009
Visit site
Has restoring + updating from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 anything to do with bootrom? Isn't that just if you want to have untethered jailbreak on some devices?

What you're looking for utilizes a bootrom exploit. This exists for the older 3GS phones, the 3G phone, and the 4. There isn't such an exploit for the 4s nor the 5.

Anything 4s or newer complicates the process.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Has restoring + updating from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 anything to do with bootrom? Isn't that just if you want to have untethered jailbreak on some devices?

Not really, no. I have twice provided you with the instructions on how to accomplish this restore. You need redsn0w. You must have saved your shsh, and they must have been from an iTunes restore, not an OTA update. That is how you would restore from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1.

Skippy

Oct 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah sorry, my mind were just set to it working so were a bit hardheaded. Read up on dev teams homepage about the procedure, one thing that caught my eye that I need I feel to ask is about this sentence; "redsn0w now lets you restore an A5+ device from any iOS5 to any other iOS5 as long as you have correct 5.x blobs for the starting (current) and ending points of the restore". Does that mean that I need to have the blob for 5.0.1 to be able to restore to 5.1.1?

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Bootrom is the code that is hard coded into the processor itself. It's what runs before iOS starts. The reason the exploit is so powerful is that you can get into the phone before iOS has a chance to boot up and turn on the security measures in place.

As such, it has nothing to do with any iOS version. It will persist as long as the phone is operational. It's not REQUIRED for an untethered jailbreak. It just makes it easier to find such a jailbreak.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I had forgotten that semi-restore works on iOS 5. This would be the best thing for you to try. It runs on your pc and will restore you to factory settings but keep you jail broken. Not at 5.1.1 but at 5.0.1. Better than nothing.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711