Is 6.1.3 Jailbroken?

Trackr

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I tried to upgrade to 6.1.2, because it was jailbroken a month ago, but I didn't have the SHSH Blobs.

Now, I find that Cydia has located the correct 6.1.3 SHSH Blobs for my iPhone 4.

Does that mean that it's been jailbroken?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Nope. Cydia will save blobs for whatever firmware Apple is signing at the moment. It doesn't need to be jailbroken to generate SHSH.

(Although the iPhone 4 will always have at least a tethered jailbreak.)

Trackr

May 18, 2013
Visit site
So, when will I be able to upgrade to a firmware that can be jailbroken? I was waiting for 6.1.2, which was jailbroken, but now you can't upgrade to it anymore..

AmpedPotato

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Just stick with whatever you've got. If you have at least 6.1, then there would be no real benefits to upgrading.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
So, when will I be able to upgrade to a firmware that can be jailbroken? I was waiting for 6.1.2, which was jailbroken, but now you can't upgrade to it anymore..

Waiting? It was out in Feb. Why did you keep waiting after it came out?

As I said above, you CAN jailbreak the iPhone 4 on 6.1.3, but it is a tethered jailbreak. See here for details: iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 4 Using RedSn0w (Windows) [6.1.3]

It's semi-untethered. It's not quite as restrictive as tethered.

Trackr

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Waiting? It was out in Feb. Why did you keep waiting after it came out?

I didn't know it came out in February. I only check out jailbreak news ever so often. How often should I check?

I'd much rather an untethered 5.1.1 jailbreak than a semi-untethered 6.1.3 jailbreak.

No, I agree. Which is why I'm sticking with 5.1.1.

It's ridiculous, though. Now, I can't download the Weather Channel app, because it requires 6.0 or higher. Lol.

AmpedPotato

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I was checking jailbrea.kr everyday for months before they finally released the jailbreak.

Yeah it was pretty lame when they did that. All they do during the updates is add more advertisements anyway. Weather Channel is pretty lame these days. That being said, I backed up the IPA of the last Weather Channel app compatible with 5.1.1 (this iPad has 5.1.1, my 4S is on 6.1 jailbroken too.) At least their radar is still usable.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Trackr

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I was checking jailbrea.kr everyday for months before they finally released the jailbreak.

Yeah it was pretty lame when they did that. All they do during the updates is add more advertisements anyway. Weather Channel is pretty lame these days. That being said, I backed up the IPA of the last Weather Channel app compatible with 5.1.1 (this iPad has 5.1.1, my 4S is on 6.1 jailbroken too.) At least their radar is still usable.

You're saying you can run older versions of apps that are compatible with your firmware?

How?

Last edited by a moderator:

AmpedPotato

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, I already had the older TWC app installed, so it doesn't allow me to upgrade, so I'm "stuck" with the one that works on 5.1.1. I also backed up the IPA on iTunes in case I ever have to reinstall the app. You can use iTunes to back up whatever version of an app you currently have installed. The iPad TWC app was only just recently updated to support 6.0+ only so the "old" version is not that old.

I'm not sure if it's allowed or legal for me to share the IPA of the older version even though it's a free app anyway. Anyone know?

Trackr

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Well, I already had the older TWC app installed, so it doesn't allow me to upgrade, so I'm "stuck" with the one that works on 5.1.1. I also backed up the IPA on iTunes in case I ever have to reinstall the app. You can use iTunes to back up whatever version of an app you currently have installed. The iPad TWC app was only just recently updated to support 6.0+ only so the "old" version is not that old.

I'm not sure if it's allowed or legal for me to share the IPA of the older version even though it's a free app anyway. Anyone know?

Why do they do that? Why do they force you to upgrade just to download their app?

Wouldn't it make more sense to just allow you to download an older version of the app, based on whatever firmware you currently have installed?

Are they bowing down to pressure from Apple in their attempt to force people to upgrade to the latest firmware?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I've always thought that was weird too, but it does make sense from a support standpoint?they probably want to have only one version to make support questions simpler.

That said I'm also not sure that Apple even has the capability (currently) for the App Store to offer multiple versions based on a device's iOS version. (Although I'm sure they could do it if they wanted.)

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I think it's a bit of App Store limitations Massie. It seems to be designed to only offer one version, similar to how repos work. Updated apps replace older versions. I'd imagine the weather channel could release a legacy version, but I'm not sure it would benefit them much.

The iOS 6 requirement stems from programming. If they utilize anything not supported by earlier iOS versions, the app won't work with the older versions. Since these additions make programming easier, they get used more and more. The impact to users is generally negligible. Anyone with the 3GS or newer can get ios6. Outside of jailbreakers and people on phones that predate ARC, there's not any impact. That really eliminates incentive for TWC to put in the work to keep support for older versions of iOS.

Trackr, were you not using cydia much the past several months? Most users choose "make my life easy" which saves shsh blobs on cydias servers each time you're in cydia with a new iOS signing period. On the 4, it's possible to use those retrieve those blobs from the server and upgrade to 6.x firmwares.

Trackr

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Trackr, were you not using cydia much the past several months? Most users choose "make my life easy" which saves shsh blobs on cydias servers each time you're in cydia with a new iOS signing period. On the 4, it's possible to use those retrieve those blobs from the server and upgrade to 6.x firmwares.

Wait, what? Why didn't anyone say so before?

EDIT: I'm searching Cydia for "Make my life easy" and I'm not getting any results..

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
It's not an app, just a setting you choose the first time you open Cydia. It doesn't matter in your case because the blobs Cydia saved for 6.1.2 are probably useless. See this post from Cydia founder Saurik: http://www.saurik.com/id/15

"I am writing this to tell everyone that the TSS data Cydia saved for iOS 6.0-6.1.2 is unusable. I'm also going to attempt to explain some background on the process, what the mistake was, and what users can now do instead."

So unless you saved your blobs locally using Tiny Umbrella or something, you're probably not able to use them.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
It's not an app, just a setting you choose the first time you open Cydia. It doesn't matter in your case because the blobs Cydia saved for 6.1.2 are probably useless. See this post from Cydia founder Saurik: Where did my iOS 6 TSS data go? - Jay Freeman (saurik)

"I am writing this to tell everyone that the TSS data Cydia saved for iOS 6.0-6.1.2 is unusable. I'm also going to attempt to explain some background on the process, what the mistake was, and what users can now do instead."

So unless you saved your blobs locally using Tiny Umbrella or something, you're probably not able to use them.

That hit all users? Damn. I hadn't tried checking the older phone models =/

Trackr

May 18, 2013
Visit site
It's not an app, just a setting you choose the first time you open Cydia. It doesn't matter in your case because the blobs Cydia saved for 6.1.2 are probably useless. See this post from Cydia founder Saurik: Where did my iOS 6 TSS data go? - Jay Freeman (saurik)

I don't understand.. Apple are no longer signing 6.1.2, so you'd need Cydia's SHSH Blobs.. but you're saying that that won't work either.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand.. Apple are no longer signing 6.1.2, so you'd need Cydia's SHSH Blobs.. but you're saying that that won't work either.

That is correct. It was supposed to work but a mistake was made in how Cydia was saving them.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice