To Jailbreak or Not?

TaylorDemon

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I am trying to decide between getting an ipad with wifi only or one with data. i currently am grandfathered in on att with unlimited data on my iphone 5. i would either have to get rid of the unlimited and join a family share plan for $10 a month, or have the ipad on its own account with the cheapest payment being $15 a month. should i do either of these options, or do you think it would make sense to jailbreak my phone and be able to turn on the hotspot whenever i need it (hotspot doesnt work on devices with unlimited data). i have wifi at home and will have it next year when i go to school, i just dont want to pay so much extra when i wont really need it. im really stuck on what to do here, thanks so much in advance!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am trying to decide between getting an ipad with wifi only or one with data. i currently am grandfathered in on att with unlimited data on my iphone 5. i would either have to get rid of the unlimited and join a family share plan for $10 a month, or have the ipad on its own account with the cheapest payment being $15 a month. should i do either of these options, or do you think it would make sense to jailbreak my phone and be able to turn on the hotspot whenever i need it (hotspot doesnt work on devices with unlimited data). i have wifi at home and will have it next year when i go to school, i just dont want to pay so much extra when i wont really need it. im really stuck on what to do here, thanks so much in advance!

Do you need to have mobile data capabilities with your iPad or would Wi-Fi Only be sufficient? Unless you need it for business purposes or in lieu of a smartphone , I don;t see a logic in buying a version of the iPad that is not Wi-Fi Only. Being that you have an iPhone 5 already with unlimited data, you can always use its hotspot feature with a Wi-Fi Only iPad.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have an opinion too. Since the iPad with cellular does not require a contracted plan if you can afford the extra $$ get the cellular iPad. Here is why, if you are somewhere that you need more than your phone for doing something you can activate the cellular data on the fly and then cancel it just as quick. All you pay is for one month of use. Also the cellular iPad has a GPS so you could use it as a navigation device.

Just my .02 :)

pommie82

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
i have had the same problem about plans and what to do.I use to tether all the time but found it too slow for my needs and it would take loads of battery life to and to be honest i thought it wasn't worth the while at all really.The one thing when you are tethering is you need a external battery power supply to make sure you never run out of power because tethering eat it.When i use to tether i use to use about 30% a hour no problem with just surfing the forum and the battery on the iPad would lose about 20% a hour no problem it wouldn't get you through a day lets put it like that.The best solution that i have found so far is using a mifi with a 3gb data allowance for 3 months and the mifi lasts for 10 hours of one single charge. The best thing about the mifi you can use with a laptop or any other device and you would get 10 hours from the dongle no tethering through a iPhone is going to give you 10 hours via tethering its pretty much in possible and that one of the many reasons why i never tethering.Well for some people it would be ok if you just want to use it for ten mins then i would fit the bill perfect but for a long time use then i can honestly say it a waste of time to be messing with you because you don't get a good battery life from doing it

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk HD

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I think you should try the jailbreak hotspot method. You only pay a one time fee for the app (I use MyWi).
It does eat up your battery and is slow unless you are getting a good LTE signal.
Can you try it out with someone's ipad ?
If it doesn't work out for you, you will be only out $20 (or they may have raised it to $30). Then you can get the ipad with cellular

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
If you have unlimited data on your iPhone 5 why don't u just get a wifi only iPad and hotspot it whenever you need to.. That's what I do with my iPad use hotspot through my iPhone 5 no use having an iPad plan and paying extra when u can use the data off your iPhone

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If you have unlimited data on your iPhone 5 why don't u just get a wifi only iPad and hotspot it whenever you need to.. That's what I do with my iPad use hotspot through my iPhone 5 no use having an iPad plan and paying extra when u can use the data off your iPhone

AT&T doesn't allow unlimited data plan users to use the native tethering feature on the iPhone...that was the whole point of this thread, asking questions about jailbreaking in order to do such.

To the OP...I certainly wouldn't get rid of an unlimited data plan unless i had to. Having gone over my plan limit quite a few times since going on AT&T's "tiered" plan...that feeling sucks knowing you have to either A.) Limit your phone usage at the end of the cycle...or B.) Pay ridiculous overages prices.

Arelunde

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I jailbroke my original iPhone 4 a couple years ago. Loved the flexibility that made the iPhone - at that time - far more competitive with Android. However, when iOS5 came out, I wanted that so UN-jailbroke my 4. Later updated to iOS6. I really liked being jailbroken, but the limits imposed by Apple - no updates, no support - plus the difficulty I had getting back to stock convinced me not to mess with it.