Pandora eating my daughters data!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Merino

Banned
May 7, 2013
Visit site
My little one is only 5 she has a 32gb white Ipad mini and 5 gb data plan with verizon. Its 6.1.2 jailbroken, She has a cover that locks the device out, Im guessin lockout is the same as sleep? Well I would like the device to also kill pandora when she closes the cover so she wont have the volume low and still be eating away her data. I have searched for days. The best I can find is to enable Airplane mode at a certain time, and enabling it in the morning. But I would like to figure this one out so that it doesnt happend during the day lol thanks guys I been from a apple iphone 4 to a android and Im back I cant stand android.. Anywho have a good day and looking forward to your solutions!
I would like a solution so I can use pandora on my phone also and if I forget to close it my data wont be hacked at.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My little one is only 5 she has a 32gb white Ipad mini and 5 gb data plan with verizon. Its 6.1.2 jailbroken, She has a cover that locks the device out, Im guessin lockout is the same as sleep? Well I would like the device to also kill pandora when she closes the cover so she wont have the volume low and still be eating away her data. I have searched for days. The best I can find is to enable Airplane mode at a certain time, and enabling it in the morning. But I would like to figure this one out so that it doesnt happend during the day lol thanks guys I been from a apple iphone 4 to a android and Im back I cant stand android.. Anywho have a good day and looking forward to your solutions!

Does cellular data have to be enabled on the device? I'm assuming she only uses it the majority of the time when she's at home and if that's true then just enable Wi-Fi when she wants to listen to Pandora.

ups925

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if activator has additional options for ipads-- to use the lock cover as an action. You may be able to just assign the lock button to close all apps. Other option would be to put music onto the ipad and put that 32gb to use.

BatteryDoctorPro has an auto app killer while locked. may be worth looking into. Replaces sbssettings / ncsettings but goes further with more options.

Last edited:

Justin Merino

Banned
May 7, 2013
Visit site
thank you. ill check it out
Not sure if activator has additional options for ipads-- to use the lock cover as an action. You may be able to just assign the lock button to close all apps. Other option would be to put music onto the ipad and put that 32gb to use.

BatteryDoctorPro has an auto app killer while locked. may be worth looking into. Replaces sbssettings / ncsettings but goes further with more options.

Justin Merino

Banned
May 7, 2013
Visit site
i tried that batterydoctorpro it didnt kill pandora

Justin Merino

Banned
May 7, 2013
Visit site
i used that bat doc pro and it didnt shut off the music. the music is intergrated with the iphone know just like using it as a ipod,

Justin Merino

Banned
May 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the comment but this has actually happend to myself too, all Im trying to do is find a solution because I like pandora too but I forget to and hate to go into my phone just to shut it off.
Perhaps a better plan is to not leave data management in the hands of a 5 year old?

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the comment but this has actually happend to myself too, all Im trying to do is find a solution because I like pandora too but I forget to and hate to go into my phone just to shut it off.
How about using one of those things we call rational thinking? Most adults use it.

She's 5. 5GB is more than most people need. In fact, there are a couple of us on my plan and we use ~1-2gb/month. The phone pulls a lot more data. But, the frequent use of wifi reduces the data plan drain.

AT&T's 5GB plan is $50/mo. Compare that against the 3GB for $30 or the 250MB for $15.
I can only assume you have the same plan for yourself. Dropping from 5GB to 3GB saves $40/mo.

AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet links you to the various AT&T Uverse options for internet. There are a couple around the $40/mo price range. This service comes with a wireless router.

Also, https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...=X&ei=_TWJUdOxN4StqQG714GYDA&ved=0CMQBEOUNMAM includes a listing of inexpensive wireless routers for you to choose between.

Dropping the data plan to afford the wifi won't cost you more. It'll solve your "problem." It'll help ensure you won't go over your data.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick, sorta off-topic question. Why is there so much animosity on these forums from people when they find out a kid has an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch? We live in a connected society and children are learning to use this technology from the time when they are born.

Parents that give their children technology at a young age are only helping to prepare them for the evermore connected world that they are growing into.

We need to keep in mind that this is a technology forum. Parenting decisions are not a factor here, and it would be better to keep that from the discussion. Instead of attacking parents, lets help them solve their technology problems, like this forum was created to do.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I guess it's similar to being off-topic and making threats of jail time for jailbreaking?

It's not the iDevice that brings out me suggesting they need to re-evaluate their situation. It's the poor decision making. The drain on the data isn't related to anything other than a streaming music service. This is an easy thing to fix.

Read through the thread. When the smart cover was explained, the OP resorted back with something so irrelevant it could only be aggressive. If you'd like to politely respond to someone who hasn't taken the time to look at their big picture, that's your prerogative. They clearly didn't pay attention to the polite response.

Context matters. It's not so much the child having the device that brings it out. It's the attitude of the OP that brings out my less than personable attitude.

A solution was given. If you'd like to hear my views on that individual's parenting, you're welcome to find me off the forums. I assure you, I kept most of it out already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen