I sell iphones and pay a service to unlock ATT to tmobile etc. One unlock didn't work and I asked for a refund and they refused. They require 20.00 upfront and deduct each unlock from that and I had an unused balance so I said fine, just refund what I haven't used so I can go to a different unlocker. They refused so I filed a claim on paypal and then the service said they would blacklist every phone they have ever unlocked for me which is about 50 phones. I am certain this is illegal. They are based in the USA. Any advice on who to contact to pursue legal actions for fraudulently blacklisting phones? I also want to have Apple or ATT investigate who this company is and see if their unlocking permission can be revoked.

Thank you.
    04-28-2013 09:55 PM
    How about notifying

​1. Police
    2. Better Business Bureau or its equivalent
    3. Your attorney
    04-28-2013 10:22 PM
    I also want to have Apple or ATT investigate who this company is and see if their unlocking permission can be revoked.
    Why do you think they have permission to unlock phones? ATT will unlock a phone if the person's contract has been completed. No need to pay anyone $20 to do it. Are you aware that in the US it is now illegal to carrier unlock a phone without the carrier's permission?

In order to be blacklisted, I think the phone has to be reported lost/stolen by the owner of an account the phone was active on or by an entity like Apple or Asurion who has paid an insurance claim on the device. Or ATT blacklists the phone for failure to pay a bill. ATT is the entity that actually does the blacklisting. Why would they blacklist a phone because an unlocker says to? They would have to activate the phone on their account before they could report it lost/stolen. Is that part of the unlocking process?
    Last edited by androidluvr2; 04-28-2013 at 10:59 PM.
    04-28-2013 10:36 PM
    As AndroidLvr said, it's actually illegal to participate in these types of unlocking schemes now. The police won't be able to help you and if they relock the phones you unlocked, there won't be much you can do. The unlocking business is a very shady industry that is constantly haunted by illegalities and gray areas. All we can tell you is good luck getting it figured out.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
    04-28-2013 10:44 PM
    Why do you think they have permission to unlock phones?
    They get permission from Apple.

ATT will unlock a phone if the person's contract has been completed. No need to pay anyone $20 to do it. Are you aware that in the US it is now illegal to carrier unlock a phone without the carrier's permission?
    No that is not true.

In order to be blacklisted, I think the phone has to be reported lost/stolen by the owner of an account the phone was active on or by an entity like Apple or Asurion who has paid an insurance claim on the device.
    Unlock services can also do this fraudulently.
    04-28-2013 11:27 PM
    As AndroidLvr said, it's actually illegal to participate in these types of unlocking schemes now.
    That is not true. Only phones made after Jan 26, 2013 are illegal to unlock.
    04-28-2013 11:28 PM
    How about notifying

​1. Police
    2. Better Business Bureau or its equivalent
    3. Your attorney
    Police won't do anything. Attorney is VERY expensive. BBB can't enforce anything.
    04-28-2013 11:29 PM
    http://www.copyright.gov/fedreg/2012/77fr65260.pdf

It looks like it is phones originally purchased on or after that date.
    Last edited by androidluvr2; 04-29-2013 at 08:27 AM.
    04-28-2013 11:46 PM
    They get permission from Apple.
    But isn't it ATT they need to get permission from?
    04-28-2013 11:47 PM
    Unlock services can also do this fraudulently.
    How, wouldn't they need ATT to go along with it?
    04-28-2013 11:47 PM
    Do you have a source for that? My understanding was that it would be illegal to unlock any iPhone, regardless of when it was made, after that date. There was quite a bit of press before that day urging people to unlock why it was still legal.
    04-28-2013 11:49 PM
    Do you have a source for that? My understanding was that it would be illegal to unlock any iPhone, regardless of when it was made, after that date. There was quite a bit of press before that day urging people to unlock why it was still legal.
    Here is the copyright office's decision. Section III(C).

04-28-2013 11:51 PM
    Here is the copyright office's decision. Section III(C).

Thanks!
    04-29-2013 12:02 AM
    lol they took $20usd to unlock one iphone while it can be unlocked at $5usd
    04-29-2013 03:37 AM
    How, wouldn't they need ATT to go along with it?
    You're aware the unlocking process is modifying IMEI data without AT&T's approval?

I don't have first hand experience, but I'd imagine whatever they've found to enable them to change from locked to unlocked would be able to change to any status?
    04-29-2013 04:24 AM
    Yes it is legal to unlock a phone purchased before that Jan 26(?) date, but it is still against the terms of service you signed with AT&T when the contract was signed. I'm guessing its also against Apple's terms of service. So neither of those entities probably has any interest in helping you.
    04-29-2013 07:46 AM
    lol they took $20usd to unlock one iphone while it can be unlocked at $5usd
    I may have misinterpreted that. He said they require $20 upfront and deduct each unlock from that.
    04-29-2013 08:14 AM
    You're aware the unlocking process is modifying IMEI data without AT&T's approval?
    Can you point me to a link on this? I would like to understand it.
    04-29-2013 08:26 AM
    So is that how they are able to blacklist the phones - by changing them to a blacklisted IMEI?
    04-29-2013 08:29 AM
    So is that how they are able to blacklist the phones - by changing them to a blacklisted IMEI?
    I'm not saying they're certainly able. The people who would know best are the unlockers here. There's the thread with one giving away unlocks. You should ask him about what all is possible. He would be a better source than I. But, it's only rational to me that if they can modify the status in one way, their hack would modify it in others as well.
    androidluvr2 likes this.
    04-29-2013 11:10 AM
    I think its a bluff.....i doubt if they even have the ability of blacklisting.....they are probably blackmailing you to ease pressure on them
    04-30-2013 12:13 PM
    I'm not saying they're certainly able. The people who would know best are the unlockers here. There's the thread with one giving away unlocks. You should ask him about what all is possible. He would be a better source than I. But, it's only rational to me that if they can modify the status in one way, their hack would modify it in others as well.
    Can't really do much, but I highly doubt they will have them blacklisted unless the said unlocker works for said original carriers which I highly doubt as well. Even if they did blacklisting that many phone would look highly suspicious to their employer sending red flags.
    05-03-2013 04:07 PM