nvm
    Last edited by natasftw; 04-23-2013 at 10:55 PM. Reason: off topic
    04-23-2013 10:27 PM
    nvm
    For the record, I don't like the law, either as it is clearly being abused by federal prosecutors.
    04-23-2013 11:16 PM
    Some of y'all need to stay away from government contracts.
    04-24-2013 04:56 AM
    For the record, I don't like the law, either as it is clearly being abused by federal prosecutors.
    Your lack of history with Apple and jailbreaks was clear in your interpretation. It was ironic with the condescending tone. I removed my reply.
    04-24-2013 10:49 AM
    Your lack of history with Apple and jailbreaks was clear in your interpretation. It was ironic with the condescending tone. I removed my reply.
    I think you misunderstood. No one is talking about Apple seeking to have anyone prosecuted for jailbreaking a device. We are talking about an employer seeking to have an employee prosecuted for jailbreaking an employer-issued device.

It was not my intent to be condescending. But the fact is, there is what many consider a bad law on the books and it would allow for the criminal prosecution of people who "damage" "protected computers" as is defined in the statute. I provided the exact language of the statute to you. It is shockingly broad. So much so that it borders on if not crosses the border of being unconstitutionally vague.
    04-24-2013 11:20 AM
    I think you misunderstood. No one is talking about Apple seeking to have anyone prosecuted for jailbreaking a device. We are talking about an employer seeking to have an employee prosecuted for jailbreaking an employer-issued device.

It was not my intent to be condescending. But the fact is, there is what many consider a bad law on the books and it would allow for the criminal prosecution of people who "damage" "protected computers" as is defined in the statute. I provided the exact language of the statute to you. It is shockingly broad. So much so that it borders on if not crosses the border of being unconstitutionally vague.
    I understand that fine. If you care for me to explain to you the pieces you're missing, feel free to use a private message.
    04-24-2013 01:16 PM
    I understand that fine. If you care for me to explain to you the pieces you're missing, feel free to use a private message.
    well after your PM I still don't think I am missing anything. The statute as it currently stands has vagueness problems, but someone charged with a crime under the statute would have to argue that and convince a judge and/or appellate court it was unconstitutionally vague. Most people charged plead to avoid the harsh penalties as well as the cost of defending against the charges.

Another option is to write your congressperson:
    https://action.eff.org/o/9042/p/dia/...ction_KEY=9005
    04-25-2013 09:20 AM
    Good Day to All,

My Dept. has contracted with a company called Meraki to manage their IT mobile devices, via (I believe) the cloud. Reportedly, as in rumor on the street, is that it will be able to detect jailbroken devices (which is against policy - DOH!) and report it to ITS. I have been unable to verify this, but if it is true, my Jailbreak will have to go away, and I will have to upgrade to 6.1.3 (DANG!!!!).

My question to the JB community, is this true - does anybody have any experience with this Company? PLEASE say it ain't so!
    I don't have experience with that specifically, but I do know that it is possible for a workplace to be able to determine if a device is jailbroken or rooted (Android).

My company's mobile email server (Zenprise) runs a check to see if the phone it's pushing email to is jailbroken or not. If it is, it errors out and will not sync email. I used to be able to get mail on my rooted and ROM'd Android device because the admin was able to make an exception for my phone, but that changed once I was issued my work iPhone.
    04-25-2013 10:03 AM
    well after your PM I still don't think I am missing anything. The statute as it currently stands has vagueness problems, but someone charged with a crime under the statute would have to argue that and convince a judge and/or appellate court it was unconstitutionally vague. Most people charged plead to avoid the harsh penalties as well as the cost of defending against the charges.

Another option is to write your congressperson:
    https://action.eff.org/o/9042/p/dia/...ction_KEY=9005
    What part of taking it in private to avoid further off topic posts littering the thread was confusing to you?
    04-25-2013 01:03 PM
    What part of taking it in private to avoid further off topic posts littering the thread was confusing to you?
    I disagree that is littering this thread - it is central to this thread. And I don't think that is why you wanted it private. Come to think of it, I think I won't continue to keep it private because I think it is a topic that interests many people and should be public.
    04-25-2013 01:13 PM
    Good Day to All,

My Dept. has contracted with a company called Meraki to manage their IT mobile devices, via (I believe) the cloud. Reportedly, as in rumor on the street, is that it will be able to detect jailbroken devices (which is against policy - DOH!) and report it to ITS. I have been unable to verify this, but if it is true, my Jailbreak will have to go away, and I will have to upgrade to 6.1.3 (DANG!!!!).

My question to the JB community, is this true - does anybody have any experience with this Company? PLEASE say it ain't so!
    This is the post that started the thread & in summary, the OP wanted to know if anyone had experience with a company called "Meraki" because his company has contracted Meraki to manage their IT department and it has been rumored that Meraki will be able to detect jailbroken devices which are against company rules. Having said that, does anyone have any personal knowledge of Meraki or any dealings with it?
    04-25-2013 01:22 PM
    This is the post that started the thread & in summary, the OP wanted to know if anyone had experience with a company called "Meraki" because his company has contracted Meraki to manage their IT department and it has been rumored that Meraki will be able to detect jailbroken devices which are against company rules. Having said that, does anyone have any personal knowledge of Meraki or any dealings with it?
    OP's questions have already been answered by the video I posted of the Meraki system. You don't need to have any personal knowledge of this company when they post a video like that.

Additional issues came up which interested those who post here.
    04-25-2013 01:48 PM
    For the record: my phone has been updated to 6.1.3 and is therefor no longer jailbroken. As far as I am concerned, this thread is no longer about my original question.

Thanks...
    04-25-2013 01:51 PM
    For the record: my phone has been updated to 6.1.3 and is therefor no longer jailbroken. As far as I am concerned, this thread is no longer about my original question.

Thanks...
    Exactly, and thus the reason for my previous reply. Threads will naturally wander off topic at times, but as a moderator, I am to steer the topic back on-point and if that fails then the thread will be closed. Having said that, was the posted video sufficient for you or would you like to see if you can obtain more information?
    04-25-2013 02:04 PM
    The video was more than sufficient to display that I am going to hate this app.

Feel free to lock it - I am done with it.
    04-25-2013 02:21 PM
40 12