I'm an Android (and ex-WebOS) user so I'm not well versed in the world of Apple and was hoping someone could give me a bit of guidance.

I'm looking to update my wife's iPhone to iOS 6 (she's still on 5.something), but being able to jailbreak is an absolute must. Since there's no untethered jailbreak for 6.1.3, that leaves me needing to flash 6.1.2.

Am I correct in thinking that I can download an iOS 6.1.2 IPSW for her iPhone 4S and use that to flash to iOS 6.1.2, then use Evasi0n to jailbreak? (I still have to figure out how to flash it, but wanted to make sure this should be possible first.)

Thanks!
    04-14-2013 02:04 PM
    Am I correct in thinking that I can download an iOS 6.1.2 IPSW for her iPhone 4S and use that to flash to iOS 6.1.2, then use Evasi0n to jailbreak?
    No, it can't be done on iPhone 4S and it has to do with Apple signing the shsh blobs. You cannot update to anything but 6.1.3 now. Period. Nada you can do about it.

Completely different here than android, not at all analogous.

http://forums.imore.com/jailbreaking...s-6-1-2-a.html
    Bazirker likes this.
    04-14-2013 02:58 PM
    Well that sucks. Thanks for the response. I will count this as yet one more reason why I have never and will never own any Apple products, what a giant (and unnecessary!) pain in the ****.
    04-14-2013 03:13 PM
    This thread was moved to the jailbreak section.
    04-14-2013 03:16 PM
    Well that sucks. Thanks for the response. I will count this as yet one more reason why I have never and will never own any Apple products, what a giant (and unnecessary!) pain in the ****.
    Different strokes for different folks. What you see as a pain, others see as a challenge.
    04-14-2013 03:40 PM
    Different strokes for different folks. What you see as a pain, others see as a challenge.
    Me personally after owning androids for 4 years, I see android as the pain. Always some kind of bug, software is almost always glitch as heck. I moved to a 4s and have made up my mind I will never go back. I normally never keep a phone too long. I've had my 4s for about 5 months now and still love it
    04-24-2013 06:08 PM
    I used to intentionally use an older firmware on my blackberry 9850. I would test the new ones out but really liked being able to choose and use any of the firmwares for the phone. The one in particular I used didn't have an audio limiter on it so I could blast pandora at work. Small difference but its great to be able to choose whatever firmware version you want. I think it's rediculous you can't easily downgrade on iOS. Oh well though, whenever I do update, it's usually a full version ahead which actually brings many improvements.
    04-25-2013 04:20 AM
    Me personally after owning androids for 4 years, I see android as the pain. Always some kind of bug, software is almost always glitch as heck.
    Since ICS and now JB, it is much better, but I see your point.
    04-25-2013 09:06 AM
    I had the s3 when jb hit it and i hated it. I hate samsung anyway. Never had one that worked right. I got bored with android and the whole rooting/roming thing wasnt my interest. Personally i like reliability and ios has android beat on that. Ive had my 4s 5 months now give or take a few days, but have yet to run into any issues. Apps are also way more reliable on ios. But in reallity it all comes to personal preference

Sent from my Iphone 4s using Tap Until You Talk
    04-25-2013 09:12 AM
    Looking like an Apple band wagon in here... Android is open source so IF you have a problem you can do something about it. VS apple... you stuck waiting fore an update. talk to the many people that have known software issues with apple like the greyed out Wi-Fi or audio (no audio) issues.These are known documented ios issues that you cant do anything about but wait for a fix from apple. Jailbreaking is an attempt to give apple users stock android privileges but can lead to problems as well. And now with the lock down of changing os by apple you are now stuck unable to change as you wish... how is that better? I fix hundreds of iPhones a month but have an S3 for OBVIOUS reasons. Get off your bandwagons and form your own opinions... if android is to confusing for you to figure out (just like your iPhone was when you first got it) do what you did with your iPhone and figure it out. Samsung has the top performing phones on the market (software and hardware). Open source Linux based android is the future like it or not. And yes that my opinion from experience owning a Cellular and small electronics repair shop I gotta admit I do love the bandwagon tho... puts food on the table lol
    05-31-2013 03:22 PM
    Looking like an Apple band wagon in here... Android is open source so IF you have a problem you can do something about it. VS apple... you stuck waiting fore an update. talk to the many people that have known software issues with apple like the greyed out Wi-Fi or audio (no audio) issues.These are known documented ios issues that you cant do anything about but wait for a fix from apple. Jailbreaking is an attempt to give apple users stock android privileges but can lead to problems as well. And now with the lock down of changing os by apple you are now stuck unable to change as you wish... how is that better? I fix hundreds of iPhones a month but have an S3 for OBVIOUS reasons. Get off your bandwagons and form your own opinions... if android is to confusing for you to figure out (just like your iPhone was when you first got it) do what you did with your iPhone and figure it out. Samsung has the top performing phones on the market (software and hardware). Open source Linux based android is the future like it or not. And yes that my opinion from experience owning a Cellular and small electronics repair shop I gotta admit I do love the bandwagon tho... puts food on the table lol
    Arguing pros for one platform vs cons of the other while ignoring that both have pros and cons is the act of a fanboy.

The "OBVIOUS" reasons are only obvious to the individual speaking. You're missing what is actually obvious. In any decision, the individual making the decision has their own decision matrix with different weights for the possible factors. You're interested in open source.

You bring up software and hardware superiority. Open source doesn't always mean superior. The decision matrix will change which each individual sees as superior. Unless you get a hard on for NFC, the two phones are nearly identical for hardware. If sending a playlist or photo via a tap, while leaving the songs behind, is something that sells a phone to you, you're no different than people buying iPhones purely for the logo. Both are equally useful.

You bring up fixing phones, but intentionally leave out the causes. I'd suspect a large percentage of what you're fixing deals with broken screens. Users that break screens will do so regardless of their platform. You also made a point not to talk about repairing other phones.

Bumping a thread that's been silent for over a month doesn't make your opinion any less useless to the masses.
    06-01-2013 12:15 PM