Is it easy to brick your iPhone if you try to jailbreak it?

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
and is it easy for Apple to tell you have tried to jailbreak your iPhone if you take it in for service under your AppleCare policy?

The reason I am asking is because it is near impossible (maybe even impossible) to brick a Nexus device by unlocking/rooting/ROMing and that is the only device I have experience tinkering with. I want to jailbreak my mom's iPhone but have to learn how first and I am worried about bricking it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Can I "Brick" my device by Jailbreaking?

The short answer is, no. While it is theoretically possible to brick your device by flashing an invalid baseband bootloader or purposefully erasing your NOR, those are extremely advanced actions that will not be undertaken by the vast majority of users, especially by accident. It is IMPOSSIBLE to brick your device simply by jailbreaking it, since DFU mode and recovery mode will always be available to recover from a bad flash or a serious iOS error.

Jailbreak FAQs.

Last edited:

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Can I "Brick" my device by Jailbreaking?

The short answer is, no. While it is theoretically possible to brick your device by flashing an invalid baseband bootloader or purposefully erasing your NOR, those are extremely advanced actions that will not be undertaken by the vast majority of users, especially by accident. It is IMPOSSIBLE to brick your device simply by jailbreaking it, since DFU mode and recovery mode will always be available to recover from a bad flash or a serious iOS error.

Jailbreak FAQs.

Good job D

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
After reading that I am still not clear on whether they will be able to tell the device is jailbroken if you take it in for service under your AppleCare policy without having reversed the jailbreak. It seems like they would be able to since during the jailbreak process, afc2 is installed.

seashell93

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I was concerned too...hence the reason I waited for most of the first year to jailbreak. But now I'm glad I did it...and if there's a problem down the road I will just restore and be happy with it then!

I've done my daughters iPhone and my youngest's iPod too!

JCRocky5

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes they can tell, either by looking at your springboard for cydia or if you device functions differently ie, new lockscreen, folders in folders or any of the other cracking tweaks.

They also have software that will look for root access when connected to there mac books.

So if it breaks & you can't restore it as its dead to the world then they can't tell, if the screen is broken or something is not working correctly, you would need to restore it to an none jailbroken state as they will refuse you service due to the jailbreak. Or just head to a forum for help & bypass apple altogether.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
After reading that I am still not clear on whether they will be able to tell the device is jailbroken if you take it in for service under your AppleCare policy without having reversed the jailbreak. It seems like they would be able to since during the jailbreak process, afc2 is installed.

The only way Apple can tell if your phone is jailbroken is if you take in to an Apple Care place while it's still jailbroken. Once you restore it in iTunes, all the jailbreak evidence is gone. :)

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
The only way Apple can tell if your phone is jailbroken is if you take in to an Apple Care place while it's still jailbroken. Once you restore it in iTunes, all the jailbreak evidence is gone. :)

Apple may very well be logging jail broken phones when you access the App Store. No one knows for sure, however there has been some speculation. We do this for any devices that access our servers, and while we can no longer use the UDID, Apple can...

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Although I suppose it's possible. Ie been jailbroken for years and never had a problem. Only the occasional crash which is almost always due to a faulty app. Uninstall the app and the problem is gone.

Headgame

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
Apple only states that a JB MAY void a warranty claim. Personally I took a jailbroken 4 to the Genius Bar in Santa Monica and had it replaced - no questions - no hassles. Probably fortunate but that is my experience. Better to restore however, You might not be as fortunate as me.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Apple may very well be logging jail broken phones when you access the App Store. No one knows for sure, however there has been some speculation. We do this for any devices that access our servers, and while we can no longer use the UDID, Apple can...
Easy there conspiracy theorist. Let's assume for a moment your idea was accurate. The only possible purpose Apple would have for this would be to deny warranty claims.

As jailbreakers have had zero issue restoring their phone and taking it in for replacement, clearly the phones aren't being tracked and blacklisted.

Let's ease up on the nonsense?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Easy there conspiracy theorist. Let's assume for a moment your idea was accurate. The only possible purpose Apple would have for this would be to deny warranty claims.

As jailbreakers have had zero issue restoring their phone and taking it in for replacement, clearly the phones aren't being tracked and blacklisted.

I learned from their posts a long time ago to not even bother paying it any attention. Anyway to the OP if you're worried about voiding your warranty because of Jailbreaking then don't as someone said before. If your device is in a state where it can't even start there is no way for them to tell it's Jailbroken or been Jailbroken. If the device is still functional then you would put it into DFU mode and restore the iOS and set it up as new. This would wipe out the Jailbreak and reload the OS from scratch which means there should be no lingering JB signs. Even if there were the genius is not going to search to find a reason to refuse you warranty. Apple stores are Apple's face to consumers and having pissed off customers is not something they want. If you walk in with the device clearly Jailbroken they will tell you that they can't do anything because it is Jailbroken but they don't take your name down or anything so you simply restore and come back another day. I've taken my iPhone 5 in to the genius bar to have the lightning cable replaced. I turned off my tweaks and made sure the UI looked like it's supposed to had no problems.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site

Conspiracy? Not a chance.

Apple has discussed blocking jail broken devices from accessing the Apple ecosystem. They now can legally do so, the only question is will they.

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site

Apple has discussed blocking jail broken devices from accessing the Apple ecosystem. They now can legally do so, the only question is will they.

And who do you think would be the looser in this? Pretty sure it would be Apple and the devs of stock apps.

Sent from an iPhone4s with Tapatalk

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Definitely a conspiracy.

Legally? What case are you referring to? Are you confusing jailbreaking and unlocking? Jailbreaking is still perfectly legal. Unlocking is not.

Regardless, let's consider the response. Many jailbreakers are opposed to piracy. If the only way to get apps from the app store was piracy, it would persuade some to change their minds. Other would opt to use jailbreak options instead. Other devs would release their apps to both jailbreak and app store. And yes, some would go back to "pure."

Other users buy Apple products purely because they're able to jailbreak. Without that option, those users would look elsewhere for solutions.

Current jailbreaking doesn't hurt Apple's bottom line. Your suggestion would. There's a reason Apple has only discussed and not acted on your beliefs.

Yes, conspiracy.

Mehdi Shah

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Actually you cannot brick any iDevice . When you jailbreak it , nothing will get wrong and if somthing gets wrong then connect your iDevice to mac or pc and open itunes .Click on iphone and you can restore it BUT FIRST ! YOU MUST MAKE BACKUP OF YOUR IPHONE FROM ITUNES !
:):biggrin: