6) Jailbreaking is legal, locking the carrier of the phone is illegal I believe in the states. Over here in Canada it is not illegal to modify your phone.
    Unlocking is illegal if the phone was bought after a certain date. I can't remember the date off the top of my head, but it's something you can google easily.
    Phones purchased before that date are grandfathered.
    04-14-2013 01:21 AM
    He posted elsewhere that he ran into a problem with his jailbreak and restored.
    No I did not, again you're not reading what people are posting here and making assumptions. I ran into a problem with [b]iOS[/i], do you understand that? I've had the exact same problem on a completely stock iPhone that had never been jailbroken before, iOS is not perfect, no matter what some people think.

That's why he's "stuck" with the most recent iOS.
    Wrong, I'm stuck there because there is no longer any way to downgrade, due to Apple's stubbornness.

He continued to rant about the phone being "useless" and other such things.
    I did not "rant", I stated my opinion, iOS is so limited and locked down from Apple it hurts productivity, the vaunted "user experience", and slows you down.

And it wouldn't be so bad if Apple had strived to keep improving iOS from the beginning, look how long it took them to add things like MMS, a notification center, multi-tasking, etc.. What good is a buttery smooth OS if it won't let me do much with it, and falls further and further behind the competition every year? A jailbroken iPhone 5 takes the OS to the level the competition is on and beyond, I don't need to detail how many incredible tweaks there are in Cydia that improves everything about the phone.

Yet now, because of one little accidental press of a button I'm stuck on 6.1.3 with another jailbreak not coming until likely next Winter sometime, I have no choice but to to have my user experience hampered by Apple for no good reason at all. So the HTC One is looking better and better everyday, I don't want to leave the Apple/iTunes ecosystem, but I feel like Apple is forcing my hand.
    04-17-2013 04:08 AM
    Unlocking is illegal if the phone was bought after a certain date. I can't remember the date off the top of my head, but it's something you can google easily.
    Phones purchased before that date are grandfathered.

https://www.eff.org/is-it-illegal-to-unlock-a-phone
    04-17-2013 05:36 AM
    So the HTC One is looking better and better everyday, I don't want to leave the Apple/iTunes ecosystem, but I feel like Apple is forcing my hand.
    The HTC One is a great phone. I wish it were coming to Verizon.
    04-17-2013 05:40 AM
    iOS is so limited and locked down from Apple it hurts productivity, the vaunted "user experience", and slows you down.
    I think Apple's position is that every user have a consistent user experience - the one that Apple designed their hardware/software to deliver.
    04-17-2013 05:43 AM
    Apple clearly ain't bothered about jailbreaking as they took a month to close the exploits. They also use many tweaks created by the community in iOS updates. They have a care of duty to close vulnerabilities for the majority of iOS muggles who are quite happy with stock and have no idea about the jailbreak scene.

Having a section/port for people to run jailbreak tweaks is a great idea but will never fly with Apples mantra.
    Then why not allow people to install Cydia without jailbreaking or put in customisation tools eg change theme that's one way the old blackberry OS is better than iOS well, that, BBM, USB mode, the Bluetooth sharing and the ability to choose a ringtone from music playlist
    Last edited by Nyan_Cat100; 04-17-2013 at 10:43 AM.
    04-17-2013 10:31 AM
    I think Apple's position is that every user have a consistent user experience - the one that Apple designed their hardware/software to deliver.
    I would say boring user experience not a consistent user experience...
    redbeard likes this.
    04-18-2013 01:47 AM
    Annnnnnnnd I'm jailbroken again on 6.1.2..
    04-18-2013 04:50 AM
    So basically I'm buggered as I can't jailbreak 6.1.3 and can't downgrade?
    04-18-2013 06:43 PM
    Annnnnnnnd I'm jailbroken again on 6.1.2..
    how?
    04-18-2013 06:49 PM
    how?
    I was able to downgrade..

By getting my phone exchanged for bad battery life, to my amazement, the replacement was on 6.1.2!!!
    04-19-2013 02:37 AM
    I've been using iPhone for years already but I don't know why I have the guts to jailbreak it. Still scared. hihihihi
    04-19-2013 06:27 AM
    To answer the OP's question in a general sense...Jailbreaking exists for 2 reasons, customization and piracy. That's it. After JB'ing the phone, you can essentially turn it into whatever kind of phone you want or just adjust iOS to your liking. The piracy side is obvious, and doesn't need discussion.

@redbeard, i know you could probably care less what i have to say about this, but honestly, your requirements of the iPhone meet such a low % of the requirements of most iPhone owners that I find it strange you take their approaches on iOS so personally, it would be like someone buying a Honda Accord and getting mad because it wasn't created as a race car. You need openness with the iPhone beyond the native function, but you (and I for that matter) are such a small niche of their consumer base, it should just be a simple understanding that they offer the iPhone in a state that more than satisfies a vast majority of the market. And as with any kind of consumer electronic, we'll always have ways to delve further into the device than the manufacturer intended...there will never be an end to that because there will never be an end to people who want to do it. Attacking Apple as a company though because of it seems silly...they arnt trying to make a product like you want, because people like you and I make up such a small piece of their consumer base.
    kch50428 likes this.
    04-19-2013 08:00 AM
    I had been a full fledged android user since early 2009 (when the G1 came out)
    That was until i found myself in the situation of not having a working device and since I wasnt on a contracted plan with any which provider, I had no replacement option available with any discounts or device coverage, etc. I either needed to pay full price for a new phone, or I needed to attempt to use my broken device i already owned. I was not in the position to pay that kind of money at the time - ended up getting an iphone4 for free from my grandmother who upgraded to the iphone5.

Going to have to agree that there is no comparison when it comes to apple vs android in the user customizable department.

I miss being able to have the option to completely personalize and customize my device in whichever way i like. Not being ale to have access to these features on apple is definitely causing them to lose business. It's not an opinion. It's a fact.
    Cant wait to get out of the iOS and back to android.
    #MeetMotoX
    08-01-2013 12:40 PM
    I had been a full fledged android user since early 2009 (when the G1 came out)
    That was until i found myself in the situation of not having a working device and since I wasnt on a contracted plan with any which provider, I had no replacement option available with any discounts or device coverage, etc. I either needed to pay full price for a new phone, or I needed to attempt to use my broken device i already owned. I was not in the position to pay that kind of money at the time - ended up getting an iphone4 for free from my grandmother who upgraded to the iphone5.

Going to have to agree that there is no comparison when it comes to apple vs android in the user customizable department.

I miss being able to have the option to completely personalize and customize my device in whichever way i like. Not being ale to have access to these features on apple is definitely causing them to lose business. It's not an opinion. It's a fact.
    #MeetMotoX

1st off, welcome to iMore. And 2nd, jailbreak your iPhone and your problem is solved.
    08-01-2013 12:49 PM
    #MeetMotoX
    That is the main reason I decided to jailbreak because that was a feature that was integrated into legacy BlackBerry OS but was missing in iOS and coming from legacy BlackBerry I was annoyed at that.
    Seriously Apple!!!! Your're lacking a feature that your 2 main competitors have always possessed!
    08-02-2013 12:56 PM
41 12