Help with upgrade from 5.1.1 to 6.1.2 on iPhone 4S

dazwontwin

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I went to Apple today to get my iPhone replaced for various reasons and the 4S they gave me is only running 5.1.1. My iCloud backup is on 6.1.3 but I had previously had it Jailbroken on 6.1.1 and 6.1.2. Can I just use the old alt+click trick to install a custom 6.1.2 to jailbreak it again or am I stuffed? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You can try it... the worst thing that can happen is it won't work, and you'll have to restore and set up as new using 6.1.3 via iTunes.

dazwontwin

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I was thinking that but a couple of things I've read have mentioned having to have a signed version of 6.1.2. I should have my SHSH blobs saved in cydia for 6.1.2. I was just wondering if there was a more definite process I could follow.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
You can try it... the worst thing that can happen is it won't work, and you'll have to restore and set up as new using 6.1.3 via iTunes.

Shame on you. Given his current situation, that's not the worst.

Dazwon, you mention shsh blobs. They wouldn't have helped. Shsh blobs are specific to the device. Otherwise there would be plenty of places to download working blobs. Don't give yourself a hard time about not having them.

As you've read, you'd need these to even begin to try the 6.1.2 install.

You essentially have two options: upgrade to 6.1.3 and lose the jailbreak or remain at 5.1.1 and wait until a newer iOS is released and jailbroken. It's unlikely you'll see another jailbreak before ios7.

Your best bet is to look at the tweaks you used while jailbroken and compare them against the changes from iOS5 to ios6. Whichever features mean more to you should dictate which option you choose.

Outside of a jailbreak window, you should NEVER blindly try setting that takes you from a jailbroken iOS to a likely restore. Anyone that suggests otherwise simply doesn't understand iOS.

Recipe7

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I am currently running the absinthe jailbreak on 5.1.1

Many tweaks I use are not upgraded, or won't be upgraded to iOS6.

Try jailbreaking it there and see how you like it before venturing into the shsh blobs.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I am currently running the absinthe jailbreak on 5.1.1

Many tweaks I use are not upgraded, or won't be upgraded to iOS6.

Try jailbreaking it there and see how you like it before venturing into the shsh blobs.

He got the phone from Apple on iOS 5.1.1.

In order to have the SHSH blobs, it would have had to have been jailbroken, chosen the Cydia "Make life easy for me" option, used Cydia since 6.1.2 came out, restored back to 5.1.1.

It's pretty safe to say venturing into SHSH won't offer anything of service.

Recipe7

May 17, 2012
Visit site
He got the phone from Apple on iOS 5.1.1.

In order to have the SHSH blobs, it would have had to have been jailbroken, chosen the Cydia "Make life easy for me" option, used Cydia since 6.1.2 came out, restored back to 5.1.1.

It's pretty safe to say venturing into SHSH won't offer anything of service.

Ah yes, silly me.

Well, OP, try absinthe first and see how you like it. It's still a JB, but on 5.1.1

dazwontwin

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all of the advice people! I ended up having to take my phone in again because the wifi failed and the, "genius" installed 6.1.3 on the newer handset anyway. Looks like I'm stuck until there's a jailbreak for 7 when it's released!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner