Problems with Cydia and cannot re-jailbreak due to Recoverguard

320flyboy320

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm running 5.1.1 on an ipad 2 and for some reason Cydia cannot download any packages, install, or search any programs. It starts up fine, but doesn't show any packages installed, doesn't show any changes, doesn't show any installed programs, and returns no results when I search for programs. It doesn't give any error messages, just doesn't return any results. It also gives errors when updating database on packages that I have removed.

So I was going to use absinthe to re-jailbreak, but I installed Recoverguard when Cydia was working and of course I cannot un-install it because Cydia does not show it as installed. My iOS version is 5.1.1 (9z999) so absinthe cannot jailbreak it.

Anyone know how I can proceed to fix this? Maybe somehow re-install Cydia, do a full restore (although I don't know how that will go since iOS shows a version of 9z999)? I have saved shsh from tinyumbrella 5.1.1

JCRocky5

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Install ifunbox & connect your ipad, click the iFunbox Classic tab & navigate to Raw File System - "/System/Library/CoreServices/" & open SystemVersion.plist. Now change the ProductBuildVersion from 9Z999 to 9B206, save & reboot your ipad, when it boots back up check your version number in about & then rejailbreak with Absinthe.

Lets hope this fixes your problem, first thing after doing this is install OpenSSH from Cydia & change your password after doing so, this will mean you can fix stuff easily, then remove the Recovery Guard & install No Update, just don't update in iTunes, its simple not to do so. Just pick the don't ask again box & then pick Cancel.

320flyboy320

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks JCRocky5 for the suggestion. I was able to change the firmware build from 9Z999 to 9B206, but when I tried to re-run Absinthe it says device already jailbroken, stash detected.

I figure what I might do is do a re-restore using redsn0w from 5.1.1 to 5.1.1 (I couldn't before because of the 9Z999 firmware) and then jailbreak again with redsn0w. If that doesn't work I may use iTunes to update to 6.1.3 (since it will now alow me to because I changed the version from 9Z999 to 9B206), and then downgrade using redsn0w.

JCRocky5

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
You could use terminal in iFunbox & run this command before doing anything else.

This will reinstall Cydia.
Uninstall it first using this command = apt-get remove cydia

Now reinstall it with this one = apt-get install cydia

Now update the repos = apt-get update

Now run = apt-get check

& hope there are no errors.

If not reboot your iPad.

320flyboy320

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Hey, thanks again JCRocky5. I wish I had seen your post earlier but I went and did a restore with iTunes to 6.1.3 and then used redsn0w to re-restore to 5.1.1 and then re-synced the ipad and jailbroke it with redsn0w.

So all is good now..:cool:.