Been jailbroken on my 4s (6.1.2) for a few days now, and I noticed something kind of disturbing.... I can't seem to get a GPS signal. I think I was able to one day for a few minutes, but other days not at all. Thing is, the phone is also relatively new to me, so I can't say whether the Evasion jailbreak altered the GPS capability. Although this obviously isn't normal for an iPhone. I tried putting in safe mode thus disabling all Cydia tweaks, but no difference. I have no intention of restoring the firmware to non-jailbroken status, because I do not want to lose an entire week's worth of painful efforts to tweak this phone. But I sure would like to use the GPS function.....
    03-12-2013 03:20 AM
    No, it's doesn't affect the GPS on a 4S. However on the 3GS if you install iPad baseband to software unlock the phone it does. So that doesn't effect you. Im guessing you have checked in settings under all the location settings. Is the phone in warranty if not, because the GPS function could be faulty.

This is what I would do: Do an itunes and icloud backup, backup all your Cydia stuff using xBackup (which you can purchase in Cydia) and make sure you ask it to backup your springboard layout. Do a full restore in iTunes, I would set up as new, but you could try restoring from backup first, re jailbreak and then install xBackup, restore Cydia backup.

If the problem still purists, then you need to go to apple.

Oh, and once you have restored, before you jailbreak. Check the GPS to see if it works, then you know that it's one of your Cydia tweaks that is giving it the ump! Then you need to go through your tweaks and remove them one by one till you find what is interfering with the GPS.

If you do go to apple. Make sure there is no evidence of your jailbreak (go there stock) because if you still have a warranty, the jailbreak will void it.

Hope this helps.

Let us know how you get on? :-)
    Skinjob likes this.
    03-12-2013 04:10 AM
    Alas, its not under warranty. And the reason I said I wasnt intending to do (another) full restore, is because Im very nervous about things not going well on the iPhone, during the restore process. On my Android phone, this wasnt an issue. I could press one button in Clockwork Mod and take a full snapshot of the phone (aka "nandroid backup"), and it would restore the entire phone exactly as it was the moment you backed it up.

I tried to find something similar for the iPhone, but it does not appear to exist. So I need to back up everything separately. And I dont even know what needs to be backed up, in order to ensure everything will be restored as it was. Im not worried so much about the apps (although I do not want to have to download them again, because I had enough problems on the initial downloads). But I spent countless hours customizing my Winterboard themes. Will all of that be backed up by xBackup? Will ALL of my configuration settings in ALL of my apps be backed up (to my computer, since there isnt enough room on the phone to duplicate the phone)?

"Then you need to go through your tweaks and remove them one by one till you find what is interfering with the GPS.

I did disable all of them via SBSettings. So maybe its the Cydia app itself, if not the Evasion jailbreak, that impairs the 4s GPS functionality
    03-12-2013 11:23 AM
    I have a 4S running 6.1.2, jailbroken with Evasi0n and I have no problems. My phone is heavily tweaked to. Something is causing you a problem and you will only find it by process of elimination. The biggest one to start with is trying the phone stock. If it works then you know something from Cydia is messing with it.

xBackup backs up everything mate that is to do with Cydia. Settings, themes, layouts, apps and tweaks. The lot.

I know it's hassle. But if you want to get to the bottom of this, you have to put the effort in, plus you will learn something.
    03-12-2013 12:51 PM
    I know you're absolutely right on the first part. But I spent literally hours removing unwanted stock apps (ie. Twitter, Game Center,etc). It wasn't what I would describe a "fun learning experience". Now, am I going to have to do that all over again if I restore the FW via iTunes (which itself was not an easy process, due to complications)? Or is there a way to save things so I can avoid having to go through all that to remove those stock apps?

BTW, I am currently learning to backup manually via SSH, or more specifically, Cyberduck. Even that's not easy, because things are scattered all over the place, and every backup guide I read leaves out stuff the other backup guide includes. From my research of backup programs, I don't know that there is any that covers everything. e.g. I believe there is a lot more to backup than what xBackup would back up. I've compiled a list of directories to back up, culled from several guides, and I'm starting out that way. At the very least, I will have backed up most of the things I need to back up. But as for reinstalling the firmware, I'm not sure if I want to go through with it yet. It looks like I will need to carefully weigh the risks (redoing hours and hours of setup work) vs the possible benefits (figuring out why the GPS is barely working) of doing that.
    1982ollie likes this.
    03-12-2013 04:08 PM
    I know you're absolutely right on the first part. But I spent literally hours removing unwanted stock apps (ie. Twitter, Game Center,etc). It wasn't what I would describe a "fun learning experience". Now, am I going to have to do that all over again if I restore the FW via iTunes (which itself was not an easy process, due to complications)? Or is there a way to save things so I can avoid having to go through all that to remove those stock apps?

BTW, I am currently learning to backup manually via SSH, or more specifically, Cyberduck. Even that's not easy, because things are scattered all over the place, and every backup guide I read leaves out stuff the other backup guide includes. From my research of backup programs, I don't know that there is any that covers everything. e.g. I believe there is a lot more to backup than what xBackup would back up. I've compiled a list of directories to back up, culled from several guides, and I'm starting out that way. At the very least, I will have backed up most of the things I need to back up. But as for reinstalling the firmware, I'm not sure if I want to go through with it yet. It looks like I will need to carefully weigh the risks (redoing hours and hours of setup work) vs the possible benefits (figuring out why the GPS is barely working) of doing that.
    I understand where you are coming from. I was very paranoid about doing it to. Other members here have used xBackup to. Here is a thread with a comment at the bottom from a very respectable member:

http://forums.imore.com/showthread.php?t=252064

It's up to you. If you really want that GPS, you are going to have to do some exploring. It won't be a stock app in my opinion. iCloud backs everything up on your phone stock and xBackup does all your Cydia stuff.
    03-12-2013 04:18 PM
    Ok, I just tried xBackup. I knew something was awry when it took just seconds to do the backup! (In contrast, I spent hours today to complete a manual back up of folders via Cyberduck, as I mentioned above). It's similar to another program I tried recently, "OpenBackup", in what it backs up. Which is to say, some app prefernces, a list of the repos, and (optionally), the springboard layout. It also backs up the OpenBackup backup, which is a bit redundant. It does not back up the actual Cydia (or app store) apps, the Winterboard themes, and a host of other things since jailbroken. See, this is why I'm nervous about restoring firmware, because I don't know what I can rely on for a backup, and what I stand to lose if I don't succeed at backing everything up first! I would have lost a lot (even if just time) if I had gone on to assume that either OpenBackup or xBackup "had my back" so to speak.

Even with my Cyberduck (SSH) backup, I don't know how complete it is, or how well a manual restore will work. But at least I know the apps and the custom theme files I made are there, in the backup - and I don't have to worry about trying to re-download all that stuff. I'm coming to realize now that if I go through with the firmware reinstall, that I'm going to lose the hours I put into removing the stock apps. Yeah, it's clear that what the iPhone needs is a nandroid-style snapshot backup. Now if only I knew how to program this thing....

BTW, it occurs to me that someone reading this thread may benefit from the SSH manual backup notes that I compiled for myself (from various sources). Completely unedited but hey, if it helps, might as well... here it is:

iPhone BACKUP (Manual) VIA SSH (CYBERDUCK)

1. Copy the following folders on your iPod to a secure folder under the name of something you'll remember (I.E. "Backup", "iPod Restore Files", etc):

2. * First, we'll start off with the most complicated. /Applications. I recommend applying the default theme before backing up. This way, all of the icons will be default, and you can just reapply the theme through Customize/Winterboard after restoring. If you really want to keep your theme, then leave the icons as is and copy the WHOLE /Applications folder. NOTE that this WILL be the default theme if you attempt to apply a defualt one, and you will NOT be able to get backup icons.

3. If you want the default theme back, apply it and erase all changes made through Winterboard/Customize, and then copy everything but default applications. Skip over App Store, Calculator, DemoApp, Maps, MobileAddressBook, MobileCal, MobileMail, MobileMusicPlayer, MobileNotes, MobileSafari, MobileSlideShow, MobileStore, MobileTimer, Preferences, Stocks, Weather, and YouTube. This will make the overall SSH'ing process much shorter and will save you a lot of hassle.

NOTE: IF YOU BACKUP ANY OF YOUR FILES SUCH AS; NOTES, CAMERA ROLL, TEXT, ETC. AND IT'S NOT SAVING PROPERLY, CHANGE THE PERMISSION OF THE FOLDER AND THE CONTENT INSIDE THE FOLDER TO 777!

FOLDERS TO BACK UP
    ================================================== =========================

How to backup your main content such as; Contacts, Notes, CallHistory, etc.
    private/var/mobile/Library (or found here: /private/var/root/Library), for contacts, SMS, etc.
    (and here: private/var/mobile/Library)

How to backup your Photo (Camera Roll):
    private/var/mobile/Media/DCIM/100APPLE

How to backup Itunes Sync Picture:
    /private/var/mobile/Media/Photos

How to backup your Voice Memos:
    private/var/mobile/Media/Recordings

How to backup your ROMS:
    private/var/mobile/Media/ROMS (not exist)

How to backup your documents:
    /private/var/mobile/Documents (not exist)

How to backup your
    Adress Book/Contact:
    /private/var/mobile/Library/AddressBook
    How to backup Mail:
    Email itself doesnt need any backup. Your iPhone or your computer is not the server for your email accounts, so you dont need to worry about loosing your emails accounts. However, you might want to save your email account as you set them up on your iPhone, so you wont need to go to all that process once again.

go to /private/var/mobile/library/mail

How to backup MobileSubstrate:
    Library/MobileSubstrate
    (n.b. Failed on activator, openbackup, overboard)

How to backup/delete your Cydia repo:
    private/etc/apt/sources.list.d
    AND/OR
    var/lib/apt/lists

How to backup/delete your Cydia Applications:
    private/var/stash/Applications.xxx (or: /private/var/lib * If you want to backup all of your installed applications on Cydia so that you can get updates as soon as you SSH them back in)

How to backup your AppStore Application's Saved Data:
    private/var/mobile/Applications/(whatever your application number folder is)/Documents

How to backup your Custom Themes:
    private/var/stash/Themes.xxxxx (* For Winterboard themes, /Library/Themes)
    (n.b. wont allow the dl, folder does not open up either)

How to backup Music:
    /private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_control/Music
    (n.b. This is in folders starting with F and all music files are renamed to 4 random letters)
    How to backup Notes:
    /private/var/mobile/Library/Notes
    How to backup your Ringtones:
    private/var/stash/Ringtones.xxxxx
    and-or: /private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_control/Ringtones

How to backup your Call History:
    SSH into your iPhone
    go to /var/mobile/Library/CallHistory/
    copy call_history.db to your computer
    (not exist)
    How to backup Calendar:
    SSH into your device and go to /private/var/mobile/Library/Calendar
    Copy Calendar.sqlitedb to your computer
    * /private/var/stash/Wallpaper.xxxxxx, if you want to backup the wallpapers

How to backup videos from 3rd party apps:
    Cycorder
    SSH into your device
    go to /private/var/mobile/media/videos (not exist)

How to backup files downloaded with Safari DL Plug-In
    SSH into your device
    go to /var/mobile/Library/Downloads
    (folder does not exist)

How to backup System Sounds (Lock sounds, Unlock sounds, SMS Sounds, etc...)
    System/Library/Audio/UISounds

How to backup SBSetting's Themes:
    private/var/mobile/Library/SBSettings/Themes

* If you changed fonts and want to keep them, /System/Library/Fonts

How to backup Mobile Substrates:
    Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries

back up custom hosts file!:
    etc/hosts

use the pgm that saves list of all apps+cydia apps (get BackBoard from Cydia)
    1982ollie likes this.
    03-13-2013 12:37 AM
    UPDATE: I may not have to go to the extreme of rebuilding the phone after all. I took a walk around my neighbourhood tonight, for about a half an hour. Up to now I had used Garmin's Navigon and TomTom's "USA-Canada" for GPS navigation. I had never really tried the stock "Maps" app, so I tested that (after disabling all Cydia apps). It appears the blue dot in the centre of the Maps screen was able to track my whereabouts, as I walked from street to street. Far as I can tell, it did not waver. Near the end of the walk, I opened Navigon and TomTom. TomTom gave me the usual "Poor GPS reception" and could only tell me what neighborhood I was in, but couldn't track me at all. Navigon was iffy. At first it would not receive the GPS signal (despite Maps working, despite the GPS icon showing in the status bar). It could tell me the neighborhood, but offered to do a simulation instead of a real time GPS tracking. But after a few minutes, at the very end of the walk, it just managed to find out where I was in real time, and told me when I had arrived home. Not sure what to make of that, but I think I'm gonna have to try some more GPS tools (that don't require data...), before concluding the GPS receiver is faulty.
    03-13-2013 01:45 AM
    UPDATE II: Damn. It's already started. Just "thinking" about restoring my firmware, and not actually going through with it, I have already lost my entire Themes folder! I did a manual backup for the day that I might need it, the day something goes wrong.... but the backup itself deleted my files! And irretrievably so (unless there's a way to undelete on the iPhone). I'm not sure which program or process did it. xBackup? Openbackup? Cyberduck? (most likely). All I know is the themes folder is completely missing from where it should be, and in its duplicate location on the phone, there is an oddly colored brown folder named Themes, which does not open up (Cyberduck says it does not exist). "No problem, I'll just go on my computer and retrieve the FTP backup I made of the THemes folder using Cyberduck! O Cripeys! There are no files in the backup folder for my Winterboard Themes! THere is just the empty folder I created on my computer hard drive! Well, at least there are two other folders on the iPhone that should have the original files... O Cripey's I forgot! They're somewhere in backup hell now, having a right good laugh at all of this!

Of all the folders on this thing to mysteriously erase its own self... why did it have to be the one I spent days on, meticulously working on the exact springboard clock-weather widget location pixel by pixel by trial by error, and the one with so many themes, icons and other elements, that I can't even remember what they were in order to acquire them again? And the one that xBackup and OpenBackups I made are NOT going to be able to restore for me!

Lesson learned. DON'T back anything up![ Ever!!
    03-13-2013 02:57 AM
    It's sounds like you are having a bit of a hectic time there. I don't use openback as that doesn't back everything up. However xbackup does. Neither of the Cydia backup apps would have deleted your Winterboard themes. Did you ssh these files from the directors that you are talking about straight to your computer?
    03-13-2013 03:05 AM
    It's all good here in southern Cali.
    Come again???
    03-13-2013 03:13 AM
    It's sounds like you are having a bit of a hectic time there. I don't use openback as that doesn't back everything up. However xbackup does. Neither of the Cydia backup apps would have deleted your Winterboard themes. Did you ssh these files from the directors that you are talking about straight to your computer?
    Yes. I used Cyberduck to "ssh" the files directly from the iPhone to my iMac. Specifically, the "Upload To...." command. For each directory on the phone, I would create a similarly named directory on my iMac, and upload the files to that directory. Sometimes, the process returned with errors, sometimes indicating it could not copy certain files because they "did not exist" on the phone (bizarre, since how would it know it was there if it did not exist?!). Hence, I think its most likely Cyberduck that trashed my Themes files. Perhaps when I thought it was just copying files and leaving the originals on the phone, it thought I wanted it to erase the files forever, if it was unable to copy them. You wouldn't suppose something with a cute rubber ducky icon could be so malevolent and destructive. But there you go. Now all I see is a cute rubber ducky with its eyes darting about, saying " Don't look at me! Wasn't me!" But I don't trust the duck any longer. In fact, I think I've got a hankering for Peking Duck for supper....

As for xBackup, I don't know why you keep saying "it backs everything up". If that was the case, I'd be able to punch "restore" and get all my customized Winterboard themes back. But I know for a fact it did not back them up. I can tell you exactly what it backed up, and it amounts to a whopping "788kb". Yes, kilobytes. And that includes the OpenBackup backup! (By contrast, my manual Cyberduck backup took 1.15gb off the phone. None of which includes the Winterboard themes of course....). It appears that what xBackup will do for you is say "I'm going to back up a list of all your apps. Well, by that I don't necessarily mean all your apps, but hopefully, all the ones you can't back up with iTunes. Then, if you're ever in a bind, you can use that list to re-download everything you just lost! And good luck to you, because you may need it by then!". I mean, that's fine, except I expect a backup program to actually back things up! Something that just makes a list of what apps I used to have isn't all that useful to me. For one, I ran into all kinds of problems downloading some of those apps on Cydia in the first place. I had to try several times in some cases, to get them on my phone. I can't even be sure they or their repos would still be available when and if I need them again. These things are not guaranteed. The only thing that is guaranteed, is if your backup program actually saves the app on your computer (and doesn't just make you think it did, (cough Cyberduck cough)). xBackup does not provide that service. But I'll go back to what I originally stated at the beginning of this thread: I don't know of any backup program for the iPhone that actually does a full, automatic backup of all the things you need to back up; that would have changed from the stock firmware. In fact, in my research of iPhone backup programs, I haven't even found a backup guide that includes everything.

It appears that iPhone enthusiasts are left out on a limb when it comes to fully backing up their precious software. People keep citing "iTunes", but iTunes doesn't even want to look you in the eye and take your name down, if it thinks you are one of those nasty "jailbreaker" types. Sadly, it might very well be that the best iPhone users can hope for, is that ratty directory list I posted in the previous message! Thus it makes me cringe every time I read some article on some iPhone site that tells people "by jailbreaking, you can have the same benefits as you can on an android phone". Uh no guys. Not even close. My experiences on android tells me that if a comparison is to be made, you're still in jail even after "jailbreaking" an iPhone. It's just that it's a much roomier jail cell, with all the amenities, including cable tv. Still, my heart goes out to the dream team that made my jailbreak possible - and at no extra cost to me. This thing would have been almost useless to me, had they not worked hard to make it possible to move up from the 1'x1' chicken coop that Apple puts you in.

BTW, I later remembered I had previously saved some of my work customizing the winterboard theme, to my iMac. So, assuming I can ever remember all that I had installed on winterboard, restoring that stuff may not be quite as painful as I initially surmised....
    Last edited by Skinjob; 03-13-2013 at 11:15 AM.
    03-13-2013 10:41 AM