Update Advice (iPad 4 6.1 to 6.1.2)

Navmacs

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I was on 6.1 when I jailbroke my iPad 4 (Wi-Fi only), and I have it set up pretty well with no known issues. I've got quite a few tweaks installed, customizations, etc., so my question for the group is: is there any particularly good reason for me to restore/update to 6.1.2, other than the fact that it may be the last update before the jb goes away?

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I was on 6.1 when I jailbroke my iPad 4 (Wi-Fi only), and I have it set up pretty well with no known issues. I've got quite a few tweaks installed, customizations, etc., so my question for the group is: is there any particularly good reason for me to restore/update to 6.1.2, other than the fact that it may be the last update before the jb goes away?

Stay as you are buddy. It's not worth the hassle. The update above 6.1 don't really affect your device.

bagarwa

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
My hypothetical question - if I were to upgrade from jailbroken iOS 6.1 to 6.1.2, do I need to restore/upgrade, jailbreak again and then download/apply all the tweaks individually one by one?? Or is there any way to backup all my tweaks, restore-upgrade-jailbreak, restore all the tweaks?

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
My hypothetical question - if I were to upgrade from jailbroken iOS 6.1 to 6.1.2, do I need to restore/upgrade, jailbreak again and then download/apply all the tweaks individually one by one?? Or is there any way to backup all my tweaks, restore-upgrade-jailbreak, restore all the tweaks?

You are correct. You do a restore/upgrade, then restore backup, re jailbreak and then install all your tweaks again. I only do this if there is a major upgrade or if there is a small upgrade leading to something I want. For example in IOS 5.0.1, you could not delete photos out of photo stream and that really bugged me. In 5.1.1, you could delete from photo stream. So I updated. The main part of the update was to cover 3G problems on certain mobile devices and an exchange bug.

You can read more here about it:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/03/08/ios-6-1-2-bugs/

If you do want to update then there are backup apps out there for all your Cydia tweakes, apps and themes. I always used to go through my Cydia packages in Cydia and take screen shots of each page just to be safe. Here is a list of the Cydia back ups, which is the last thing you do once you have restored, re jailbroken your iDevice and then installing the backup app you used:

http://www.inspiredgeek.com/2011/09...plications-games-settings-jailbreak-required/

I have always used xBackup because you just press one button to back everything up, plus it backs up your springboard layout. Then you just press one button to restore everything. It's doesn't look like much, plus it's quite cheap. But it's very capable and reliable! Oh, and always do a full reboot once its finished even if it all looks good.

There is also a new one called openbackup which is free however I have never restored from it, so I can't honestly say its worked for me. I've seen other members here that have it installed.

Hope this helps!

bagarwa

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Thanks for your detailed post. Clears up the question I had. I checked out openbackup. Apparently it backs up only free tweaks. And one of my friends told me pkgbackup used to crash every 10 second on his iPhone. So, I guess I'll checkout xbackup tomorrow. Thanks again.

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Wow. Thanks for your detailed post. Clears up the question I had. I checked out openbackup. Apparently it backs up only free tweaks. And one of my friends told me pkgbackup used to crash every 10 second on his iPhone. So, I guess I'll checkout xbackup tomorrow. Thanks again.

My pleasure buddy. I know so many people plus myself that have had success with xBackup. When I first used it, it was perfect and my phone was heavily tweaked. I did it once for my girlfriend and it did miss 2 tweaks, but everything else was ok and it doesn't crash or go weird. This is why it's good to take screen shots just to double check.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I use xbackup and it always works for me. I do use appinfo to export my package list to my email first so I can make sure I don't miss anything. I like that it has an upload feature so you can save your cydia backup to the cloud and be able to setup as new if you want to.

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad Mini GSM ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!