Now I remember why I always advise against restoring from backups...

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
So, 6.1.2 came out and I figured, what the heck. I always set my device up as new, but this time I'd thought I'd try to save time and restore from my 6.1.0 backup (jailbroken).

Wow, that was easy. All of my apps are back, everything is just the way it was.

A couple of days into it, and I realize that a couple of apps won't open. Why are my keyboard shortcuts not working? What is that funny thing going on with my email?!?

Restored and set up as a new device, then reinstalled everything back the way it was.

First thing I notice? The apps that didn't open this morning now open just fine. And, hey, my email isn't acting up. Keyboard shortcut working again.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Don't restore from a backup. It's just not worth the laziness.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I just say restore from a backup. If you start to have problems like the OP
then just restore as new. That's how I've always handled it. And I never
really have had any problems from a jailbroken backup.

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I restored the last 2-3 times from a back up with no problems (thank heavens) but I advise to restore as new for new users of iOS or new jail breakers. It's hassle free to restore as new.

Sent from my Jailbroken Facebook Machine using Tapatalk 2

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Whatever works for your particular tastes. It is no secret that I'm a fan of "restoring as new' and 99% of the time, that is what I do. Never had a problem with it. The few times I restored from a backup was painless, as well, but a few days later, I restored as new. :) I simply prefer to do it that way, but that's Just Me, D...:)

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site

Same here. Been restoring from a back up for a couple of years now, no issues at all..

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Whatever works for your particular tastes. It is no secret that I'm a fan of "restoring as new' and 99% of the time, that is what I do. Never had a problem with it. The few times I restored from a backup was painless, as well, but a few days later, I restored as new. :) I simply prefer to do it that way, but that's Just Me, D...:)

You forgot to tell us to have a good rest of our afternoon. :p

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

This is my rule of thumb as well. Until I have issues, I don't worry about it.

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad Mini GSM ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You forgot to tell us to have a good rest of our afternoon. :p

(laughing)...You are right, my friend. I will blame it on the sickness I acquired from one of my kids...I've been sipping on some hot tea with honey and trying to read a bit before the drugs kick in again...::)...Anyway, you have a safe & pleasant afternoon...:D

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
(laughing)...You are right, my friend. I will blame it on the sickness I acquired from one of my kids...I've been sipping on some hot tea with honey and trying to read a bit before the drugs kick in again...::)...Anyway, you have a safe & pleasant afternoon...:D

Damn it... They beat me...

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Since I usually buy whatever new iPhone comes out each year I use that as my start fresh time -- setup the new iPhone as new and get everything the way I like it. In-between those releases -- and certainly when jailbreaking -- I always restore to a backup (just did that when I went from jailbroken 6.1 to jailbroken 6.1.2 and all is fine). I think I had a problem one time with my 4 or 4S and had to start from scratch, but other than that I don't agree that restoring as new is an absolute must. IMO of course...

Yell0w

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
how do you guys deal with the your game files? I usually restore from backup so my progress in a game will be like I didn't do anything.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
how do you guys deal with the your game files? I usually restore from backup so my progress in a game will be like I didn't do anything.

I think a restore from a backup is the only way. I don't know if Game Center keeps your place
in a game though. That's more cloud based.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner