Blocked WiFi

bforbaker

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm at work and can connect to the Wifi just fine.

Only problem is we have a firewall that blocks a lot of sites.

Is there an app in Cydia that will let me get past this?

I came from Android and the Play Store had an app that let me do this but I can't remember the name of it.

Thanks guys.
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1361295247.115834.jpg

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The only way around that is to use a proxy server outside your work's firewall... but that too will likely be blocked.

You can always not use wifi and surf on device at will on 3G or LTE if available and your iDevice can to it.

Last edited:

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Try using the mobile version
M.pacsun.com

Works at my place cuz my it department is stupid enough to use ie and yahoo search

bforbaker

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
The pacsun link was just an example to get a picture because they block a lotttttttt of websites.

But I need something that lets me use the wifi at work on my phone and let's me access everything I need to without using my data.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Short using your data or finding a proxy server that evades company detection - there really is no way around it - jailbroken or not.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
not trying to be a Debbie Downer but there is a reason they block a lotttttttt of sites

get back to work!

bforbaker

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
So there is no way around it on an iPhone? Because I was doing it perfectly fine on Android so I know it is possible. I was doing it two weeks ago.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The pacsun link was just an example to get a picture because they block a lotttttttt of websites.

But I need something that lets me use the wifi at work on my phone and let's me access everything I need to without using my data.

Without meaning to be disrespectful or anything, but, the company you work for have those safeguards in place for various reasons. One reason is possibly to keep from employees from using their equipment to do non-business related stuff. Having said that and since you don't want to use your own data connection, I can only 'assume' that you want to either stream something or upload/download large files. That is your business, either way. Just be careful. Many companies maintain logs of Internet activity via their Wi-Fi offerings and are able to block your access altogether. Furthermore, there is NO PRIVACY on company systems.

bforbaker

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
If you guys don't like that I literally have no work to do until the drivers I check in get here that is one thing.

Please don't preach at me about it. All I ask is if there is a way to do it.

I'm not gonna use it to stream Netflix or anything. I actually don't have time to do that at work.

But using the wifi in place of the crap 3G on my town would be a plus. Also saving my data for when I don't have a wifi connection would be awesome.

So please, no more of this get back to work business. If its not possible that is one thing, but just not telling me how or what to use because you can't do it at your work doesn't help me out.

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Try looking into a VPN connection. I had this idea when my schools wifi blocked games on my iPhone but most likely VPN will also be blocked. I use onavo extend and onavo count.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If you guys don't like that I literally have no work to do until the drivers I check in get here that is one thing.

I'm not gonna use it to stream Netflix or anything. I actually don't have time to do that at work.

But using the wifi in place of the crap 3G on my town would be a plus.

You've been told the way to do it... proxy and/or VPN that skirts the company block, or use your data...

bforbaker

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Try looking into a VPN connection. I had this idea when my schools wifi blocked games on my iPhone but most likely VPN will also be blocked. I use onavo extend and onavo count.
Thank you, I forgot VPN and was able to find the app I was using on Android.

The thing is. I'm guessing that the app will be forced closed every 15 mins right?

So what my question is now is there a way since I'm jailbroken to either download a tweak that does this with put an app?

Or a way so my background apps don't close after 15 mins?

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1361298488.849829.jpg

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Nowhere in your initial post did you state this.

True, and your post was answered.

But using the wifi in place of the crap 3G on my town would be a plus. Also saving my data for when I don't have a wifi connection would be awesome.
We understand your concerns.

So please, no more of this get back to work business. If its not possible that is one thing, but just not telling me how or what to use because you can't do it at your work doesn't help me out.
The advice that you received was an attempt to get you to understand the risks involved for trying to circumvent a protective barrier put in place by the company you work for. So forgive us for caring. Enjoy the rest of your day....:)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
That is a free app with a paid service for the VPN... and if you're asking about a way to get around paying for the service with a tweak/hack... It must be said that iMore does not support piracy - and discussion of such.

bforbaker

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Nowhere in your initial post did you state this.

I forgot I had to tell you guys that I have free time at work.

I have onavo and hotspot and onavo is a more stable connection. I think the closure time on it is an hour.
I'll have to try those since that is looking like my only option

That is a free app with a paid service for the VPN... and if you're asking about a way to get around paying for the service with a tweak/hack... It must be said that iMore does not support piracy - and discussion of such.
i understand that and I have no problem with paying for anything if it is worth it to me.

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

He asked if there was a jailbreak tweak that creates a VPN that doesn't close after a certain time, not how to get it free.

Back to the main discussion of the thread, Onavo is completely free requires no money to use and has a setting to either use when you turn the VPN connection on or all the time data is accessed. This deactivates when wifi is on but overrides the ip and gives you a us connection instead of a lets say Canadian connection. I use this to watch us Netflix all the time and its great at saving data along with fast speeds.

Hotspot is a free app that required membership to use (it's like 9 bucks for a year or something) I purchased a year one hoping for us streaming for Netflix (which I got) but it does not work well with wifi and is slow. I don't use this one at all and prefer Onavo as it saves my data as well.

You can set Onavo to always be on and it'll save your data as well try it out.