Apps Not Staying Backgrounded...

holdenrf

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I have noticed that my apps don't seem to stay "backgrounded" and have to reload every time I open them. Say I open slacker and then navigon and tell navigon to go somewhere and it starts routing. I then pause slacker and go back to navigon it will reload as if it wasn't open but will continue on the route I chose. Then I go back to slacker that was on pause it will reload as if it wasn't opened and start off on a new song. This seems to happen on all of my apps.

Has anyone else experienced this? I pretty much removed any tweak that I thought could affect this, however, it still occurred so I am now clueless and am in need of some help.

Thank you for any help that you can provide.

Rich

I am on an iPhone 5 and used evasi0n to jailbreak.

Last edited:

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I have noticed that my apps don't seem to stay "backgrounded" and have to reload every time I open them. Say I open slacker and then navigon and tell navigon to go somewhere and it starts routing. I then pause slacker and go back to navigon it will reload as if it wasn't open but will continue on the route I chose. Then I go back to slacker that was on pause it will reload as if it wasn't opened and start off on a new song. This seems to happen on all of my apps.

Has anyone else experienced this? I pretty much removed any tweak that I thought could affect this, however, it still occurred so I am now clueless and am in need of some help.

Thank you for any help that you can provide.

Rich

I am on an iPhone 5 and used evasi0n to jailbreak.

it happens to me too, i just respring and all works the way it should again... try that and report back, maybe its an east fix or maybe we need to dig deeper

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I know that some apps don't continue to work in the background unless the developer has the app optimized for that. I'm not sure about this particular app, but that could be the case. I have a few apps on my device that fully restart when backgrounded.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

AmpedPotato

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying that apps don't appear in the recent-app list? If so, not sure, try a reboot. I personally don't have that problem. Could be a tweak that you have installed. Otherwise, if it's showing up in the list, that's usually pretty normal behavior. Apps are usually suspended the second that you exit them.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

holdenrf

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
The apps still appear in the recents list/switcher. I have tried with Slacker/pandora/tunein/ etc. navigon will reload but will remember the route I chose. I have a lot of tweaks installed but only ones compatible with ios6. I can provide the list after work or during lunch. My biggest gripe is slacker because I use it every day. As of right now I have 400mb avail memory per sbsettings

holdenrf

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
All, i have resprung several times, and after pausing slacker and going into a few apps, slacker and other backgrounded apps disappear from the "processes" section of sbsettings. I tried what "leeaesthetic" recommended and uninstalled winterboard. Everything works as it should now. Does anyone know how or why winterboard would have this affect and keep apps from staying backgrounded? It was forcing any app designed to run in the background from running unless you were actually streaming music, once you pause the music and exit the app it would close itself from the "processes" list but would still be in the "task switcher" as a recent opened app.

Do any of you have a close relationship with Saurik to bring this to his attention? If I email him, I am sure it would go unnoticed as he is probably a very busy person.

I am all ears if anyone has other ideas to troubleshoot, but winterboard's settings are pretty simple so that leaves me to believe it must be something with the most recent update.

thank you for your help in advance.

Rich

Last edited:

holdenrf

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I have installed each of the 3 versions of winterboard located here and all have the same effect and after a few moments, apps are no longer backgrounded and need to reload all content as if it was the first time you launched them after a respring.

Index of /cydia/debs/

does anyone think that it could be a conflict of a tweak with winterboard or do you think it is solely winterboard? i am tech savvy but have no idea on the internals of winterboard and how it really works.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I have installed each of the 3 versions of winterboard located here and all have the same effect and after a few moments, apps are no longer backgrounded and need to reload all content as if it was the first time you launched them after a respring.

Index of /cydia/debs/

does anyone think that it could be a conflict of a tweak with winterboard or do you think it is solely winterboard? i am tech savvy but have no idea on the internals of winterboard and how it really works.

give us a list of all the tweaks.
id have to vote against it being winterboard related

ridiculocity

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I stopped using winterboard on all 3 of my devices. It's a dinosaur with many band aid patches. It's time for a dev to rethink the theming process. I too experienced apps not backgrounding correctly. This jailbreak has been very messy with tweaks not working together and I feel like the past week has been debugging them all. I've found zephyr and auxo just refuse to play nice so instead now use activator to swipe up for auxo. Winterboard is a mess. I don't really theme so no real loss.

Sad thing is now 6.1.2 is out and is jailbreakable and I'm going to have to update as I use exchange on all 3 devices. Might wait a few days to see if any problems arise for people before updating. Already saved my blobs tho :)

holdenrf

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Again what tweaks do you have installed?

Sorry for the late reply, I was waiting to reply from a computer vs the phone. I have the following tweaks installed:

Action Menu
Activator
AdBlocker
Airplane Toggle
Appinfo
AssistantExtensions
AssistantLove
Bolt
BytaFont
BluSelect 5.0+
CallBar
ColorKeyboard
CrashReporter
Display Recorder
DockAddon SBSettings
FolderEnhancer
ForceStatusbar
Grafiti
fsWipeCache
FullForce
FullScreen for Safari
Iconoclasm
IconRenamer
iWipe Cache
iFile
KillBackground
Lockinfo
MapsOpener
MultiIconMover
Music Controls Pro
NoCoverFlow
OpenNotifier
RemoveBackground
RespringCacheFix
Rich Text For Mail
RingerX VIP
Rotation Inhibitor
Safari Download Enabler
Safari Download Manager
SBRotator 6
SBSettings
ScrollingBoard
SleepDepriver
Springtomize 2
Tab+
Unpower
untrackerd
Wake With Weather
Wallpaper JPEGifier
YFiSelect4
Zephyr

I am open to any suggestions...

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply, I was waiting to reply from a computer vs the phone. I have the following tweaks installed:

Action Menu
Activator
AdBlocker
Airplane Toggle
Appinfo
AssistantExtensions
AssistantLove
Bolt
BytaFont
BluSelect 5.0+
CallBar
ColorKeyboard
CrashReporter
Display Recorder
DockAddon SBSettings
FolderEnhancer
ForceStatusbar
Grafiti
fsWipeCache
FullForce
FullScreen for Safari
Iconoclasm
IconRenamer
iWipe Cache
iFile
KillBackground
Lockinfo
MapsOpener
MultiIconMover
Music Controls Pro
NoCoverFlow
OpenNotifier
RemoveBackground
RespringCacheFix
Rich Text For Mail
RingerX VIP
Rotation Inhibitor
Safari Download Enabler
Safari Download Manager
SBRotator 6
SBSettings
ScrollingBoard
SleepDepriver
Springtomize 2
Tab+
Unpower
untrackerd
Wake With Weather
Wallpaper JPEGifier
YFiSelect4
Zephyr

I am open to any suggestions...

Man, that's a lot of tweaks. Have you tried uninstalling Winterboard first to see if that's causing
the issue? Or whatever of those three versions you mentioned? I'd do that first before I start going
one by one with each of those tweaks. If that doesn't work, I'd then continue with whatever tweak
is background related. KillBackground for example. I used to experience some issues with that tweak
on my 4S and haven't even bothered installing it on my iPhone 5.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Well we know that it works with winterboard disabled?
And it is a lot of tweaks, but if you've got the patience to go through them little by little you might find that it's a conflict?
I saw immediately two download tweaks from safari, which seems unrelated, but might be causing conflicts?
Also music control pro, which might affect stuff?
I wrote a guide to trouble shoot stuff, maybe in your case turn off tweaks 5 at a time and see if you experience similar issues with backgrounding? always keep winterboard on though to test if it's winterboard, or a conflict?
jailbroken-fix-all-guide

Also for clarification, winterboard is not a dinosaur. It is an immortal, old and as beautiful as ever.

holdenrf

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
yes, winterboard seems to be the issue. once i uninstall it everything works the way it should as far as backgrounding goes.

I have already gone through my tweaks and removed anything that i thought could be the culprit and i still had the same issue. that is when i started searching the web for anything related to this. a few people said after removing winterboard that the issue was gone.

i have found the same thing. however, there are some others that think it could be a tweak that is not playing nicely with winterboard or something else.

i am all ears and will try what others suggest (within reason :) ) as i do like to have my phone themed.

Regards,

holdenrf

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Well we know that it works with winterboard disabled?
And it is a lot of tweaks, but if you've got the patience to go through them little by little you might find that it's a conflict?
I saw immediately two download tweaks from safari, which seems unrelated, but might be causing conflicts?
Also music control pro, which might affect stuff?
I wrote a guide to trouble shoot stuff, maybe in your case turn off tweaks 5 at a time and see if you experience similar issues with backgrounding? always keep winterboard on though to test if it's winterboard, or a conflict?
jailbroken-fix-all-guide

Also for clarification, winterboard is not a dinosaur. It is an immortal, old and as beautiful as ever.

ok, i just spent the last hour and a half going through and turning off 5 at a time via sbsettings and the only item that affects the issue is winterboard.

not sure what to do next, if there is anything else to try?

thanks,

Lozi

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I have been using winterboard almost as soon as the JB came out, this issue started when winterboard was updated a few days ago, on the brightside the issue has been identified and since it was caused by an update it can just as well be fixed, we just need to let the issue be known.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox