GmailSender: Change Your From Address in Emails

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
A new tweak was just released in Cydia that promises a fix for an old problem?letting users choose from the different aliases they have set up in their Gmail account, without having to load every account onto the device separately. In other words, it uses Send As addresses like gmail on a laptop does. Anyone try it yet?

image.jpg

talkin73

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
A new tweak was just released in Cydia that promises a fix for an old problem—letting users choose from the different aliases they have set up in their Gmail account, without having to load every account onto the device separately. In other words, it uses Send As addresses like gmail on a laptop does. Anyone try it yet?

View attachment 26942

Yes, but I won't keep using it as is. If you add any email address to the new "From" field which appears in your Gmail account settings this becomes your new default mail address. For example, my account is x@gmail.com which should always be my default address prior to installing this tweak. After installing, I then added y@gmail.com z@gmail.com and now y@gmail.com is my default address with z@gmail.com listed as an option below it on the spin wheel. I thought I could fix that by changing the "From" field to list x@gmail.com y@gmail.com z@gmail.com (thinking that by putting the actual email that I want as the default FIRST on the list, this would become the default as the previous item listed first (y@gmail.com) had become the default previously. No such joy. This tweak effectively appears to skip over x@gmail.com as though it's not even there. I can always find x@gmail.com on the spin wheel but I have to manually select it EVERY TIME which is a no go for me. I think it's a bug because it's hard to imagine that the author wanted to eliminate the possibility of using your actual default account if you added ANY additional optional email accounts to the list... kinda extreme to actually be the intended execution for the end user. I'll send this to the author as well for feedback/fix/etc.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up. Have you tried adding your regular email a second time so that it's at the start if the "added" list?

talkin73

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up. Have you tried adding your regular email a second time so that it's at the start if the "added" list?

Yep. I put it first in the list but it's as though the tweak ignores it and just uses the second address as the new default. For grins I tried adding my default as the first and second address but it skips over both of them and uses the 3rd address. There is definitely something written into the tweak that deliberately ignores or refuses your actual default email from being the default send account if you have any addresses listed in the new "From" field that the tweak adds. So, using the tweak means you'll be manually selecting your default address every time in order to have other addresses listed an option to select (one of which will become the new address that defaults as your From address). Bummer. Emailed the author to see if I'm missing something or let him know that the current implementation doesn't seem right.

talkin73

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Author just fixed this issue. Here's his very prompt reply to my feedback...

"I've added the ability to reorder the real Gmail address, just as you originally tried to do. I'm not sure when I'll get around to publishing it to the official BigBoss repository, but you can grab it whenever you like from my beta repository at joedj's beta repo as version 1.0-2."

Works great for me in this version. Donation sent!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh