What Great Cydia Tweak Do You Think Is Overlooked?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
We all have our favorite Cydia tweaks, but sometimes it's easy to overlook some lesser-known gems. I'm not talking about well-known things like Winterboard or Springtomize2, but things like f.lux (adjusts your screen's color temp based on the time of day) or Wallpaper JPEGifier (allows you to change wallpapers for html themes using the regular method of setting wallpaper, instead of having to manually replace the image every time).

So, what is a great tweak that you use that you wish more people knew about?

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Growl Notifier forwards your push notifications to your laptop/desktop.
ResetAllKiller disables the dangerous reset option.
CallMe lets you create contact shortcuts as icons on the springboard.
Polite Silencer allows you to mute your phone while someone's calling with a small shake.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
No but seriously,
backlight dimmer toggle,
it has an options in settings where you can select the brightness level for "on" and "off".
so I set on at 100% and off at 20% and just flip the switch at day or night, with just one tap instead of using a slider. Or you can schedule it with
Ischeduler.
Which can schedule seemingly anything, turning system options on and off, sending texts, sounds, apps, everything.
Swipe selection,
Moving the cursor with swipes on your keyboard.
Although this can give you some errors with auto-correct!

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
These are great Cydia tweak which are often overlooked (maybe except BytaFont), but I really like them. Once installed I never want to use my iDevices without them

• Alarming - you can configure a volume in settings and if your alarm strikes it set the volume to the preselected value, after turning off the alarm it automatically sets the volume to the previous value
  • Black Keyboard - Most people just don't care... but I really like this black transparent Keyboard. You can also look trough and see text for example in the messages app
  • BytaFont (with Existenz & Pages font) - It's obvious, you always see text and the font, so you should chose a good font. Existenz & Pages font is just amazing
  • SwipeNav - It's really annoying to tap the back button on a iPhone especially if you want to use it with one hand. SwipeNav allows you to go back with swipes
  • f.lux - I always use it on my Mac and it's really great. It warms up your screen to match your lightning at night

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
SwipeShiftCarat: best editor for text
Delete word: shift+back space deleted whole words.
Dater: adds date and time to picture names
Flex: create your own jailbreak tweaks.
Double@: typing @@ makes it type your email address automatically.
Icleaner: cleans our phone for unnecessary files.
Nitrous: speeds up javascripts for apps
Statustab: pulling down notification gestures shows status bar in full screen apps.

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Statustab: pulling down notification gestures shows status bar in full screen apps.

I didn't mention "Delete World" in my list, (which is a pro version of your second mentioned tweak) because it's not iOS6.1 compatible and can't be installed. I downloaded "Delete Word", which is free and doesn't have a compatibility check and it works perfectly. So thank you very much Sharma15 :)

Iamdunne

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

Love Dater thanks!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site

I'm curious: what does Double@ do that using the built in keyboard shortcut settings doesn't? I already have shortcuts set up for all my email addresses.

Great lists, everyone! Keep 'em coming!

Last edited:

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious: what does Double@ do that using the built in keyboard shortcut settings doesn't? I already have shortcuts set up for all my email addresses.

Great lists, everyone! Keep 'me coming!

Double at doesn't need a space after it shows straight email soo if you fill out a username (for gmail for example) to @@ and it goes straight to email so you don't have to backspace every time.

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

Great lists, everyone! Keep 'me coming!

There are a lot of people who can't use the shortcut functions from the settings app to replace abbreviation like "omg" with "oh my god" etc. because of a iCloud bug. (I'm one of the victims -.-)

Double@ is cool, but there is a even better solution, but you have to make your fingers dirty :p
Tweaks like Double@ doesn't work in security fields, in apps like iFile and Cydia and they can't be used if you are in Safe Mode etc.

There is an always solution which doesn't even need a tweak, mobile substrate and works everywhere and anytime. You just have to place words, email adresses or passwords (for example for the app store) in your keyboard. If you hit your modded key and hold it, you'll see a box with your data, which you can select. I'm doing this since iOS4 and it works great. iOS6 is a little difficult, because they completely changed the keyboard structure, but it's still possible. I'm using it on iOS6.1 and it just awesome.

You should use keys like €, $ or &, which are always on the keyboard. Here you can see just one example. You can also set emojis :p
After hitting the button and sliding to the desired, the predefined text will apear magically :D

IMG_1609.PNG

I can explain it if someone is interested ;)

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
There are a lot of people who can't use the shortcut functions from the settings app to replace abbreviation like "omg" with "oh my god" etc. because of a iCloud bug. (I'm one of the victims -.-)

Double@ is cool, but there is a even better solution, but you have to make your fingers dirty :p
Tweaks like Double@ doesn't work in security fields, in apps like iFile and Cydia and they can't be used if you are in Safe Mode etc.

There is an always solution which doesn't even need a tweak, mobile substrate and works everywhere and anytime. You just have to place words, email adresses or passwords (for example for the app store) in your keyboard. If you hit your modded key and hold it, you'll see a box with your data, which you can select. I'm doing this since iOS4 and it works great. iOS6 is a little difficult, because they completely changed the keyboard structure, but it's still possible. I'm using it on iOS6.1 and it just awesome.

You should use keys like ?, $ or &, which are always on the keyboard. Here you can see just one example. You can also set emojis :p
After hitting the button and sliding to the desired, the predefined text will apear magically :D

View attachment 26773

yo! sign me up as interested
but im on 5.1.1 and i aint ever leaving!

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

You should use keys like €, $ or &, which are always on the keyboard. Here you can see just one example. You can also set emojis :p

View attachment 26773

I second on the explanation.

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Tutorial for modding iOS 5.1.1 and iOS 6.1 keyboards

There are minor differences. First of all: SAVE ALL FILES YOU WANT TO CHANGE OR REPLACE!

First of all, the path to the keyboard files is: /System/Library/Frameworks/UIkit.framework

If you are on iOS 5.1.1, you have to select your keyboard plist file, which you want to mod.
I used the german keyboard on iOS 5.1.1, so my keyboard plist file was called "Keyboard-de.plist"

If you are on iOS 6.1, you can't chose the keyboard you want, because the whole keyboard structure was changed. You have to mod the default keyboard file. It is called "Keyboard-default.plist".

If you open the files with iFile, you can chose between text editor and plist editor, unless you want to add a new character or hot key which doesn't exist, you should use the plist editor.

On iOS 6.1 and on iOS 5.1.1 you have to select a chacter. I recommend characters like "&" or "?" or "$".
Then open the directory in iFile. There are 3 fields:
  • Direction - sets the direction in which the popup will open. It's always only "left" or "right"
  • Keycaps - Thats what you see in the popup on you keyboard, if you hit and hold a speciific key. it should be maximal 3 characters
  • Strings - Thats the character or word, which will be pasted

You can only select one word without spaces. If you want to add more individual words, you have to use spaces.

Example:
Direction: right
Keycap: Bt AP TM
Strings: Bluetooth AirPlane TimeMashine

That's it. Save the file and do a Respring. After that you can paste them evertime you hit and hold the modded button on you modded keyboard.

Have fun :)

Optional for iOS 5.1.1:
On iOS 5.1.1 you have also the option to every key you want. For example I used the character "P" for my passwords. If you hit "P" and hod it, nothing will happen. You shouldn'e use a character which already has other forms like "a", "i", "c" etc. If you also want to set it on a character like "P", you have to add it manually. So open the keyboard file with the text editor in iFile. Copy the whole text from one letter, for example from "C".
It starts with <key>Roman-Accent-C</key> ..... and it goes to </dict>
Then replace the "C" with an "P", it should look like this: <key>Roman-Accent-P</key>
Then peplace the Keycaps and Strings just like I described it for iOS 6.1 and iOS 5.1.1

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
This guy,
I like this guy!!!
Where have you been the last few years???
Also, did you ever try to "theme" this in using winterboard?
Or did you always go straight to the actual system files?
AND did you ever try to eliminate the "popups" (just what happens when you type the letter) I can eliminate the surrounding box easy enough, but can't get rid of the letter.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
No but seriously,
backlight dimmer toggle,
it has an options in settings where you can select the brightness level for "on" and "off".
so I set on at 100% and off at 20% and just flip the switch at day or night, with just one tap instead of using a slider. Or you can schedule it with
Ischeduler.
Which can schedule seemingly anything, turning system options on and off, sending texts, sounds, apps, everything.
Swipe selection,
Moving the cursor with swipes on your keyboard.
Although this can give you some errors with auto-correct!

Installed this Toggle and love it, but can't seem to find how to set the brightness controls like you did.

ah, nevermind.. found it, but can't change the settings w/o first donating to the app... Hmph. Like it anyways...

Bosox20

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this is obscure or not but I love Jukebox. Love having a music player right on my home screen with the added ability to pause and just swipe screen to change songs.

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
This guy,
I like this guy!!!
Where have you been the last few years???
Also, did you ever try to "theme" this in using winterboard?
Or did you always go straight to the actual system files?
AND did you ever try to eliminate the "popups" (just what happens when you type the letter) I can eliminate the surrounding box easy enough, but can't get rid of the letter.

haha I didn't know this website :p

I just use the tweak Black Keyboard, which makes the background of the keyboard transparent with a black overlay. It looks great. But I don't theme the keyboard except this. And I never tried.
I don't know why you would want to eliminate the popups, if they weren't there, you couldn't read right :/

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't want it, but some other member wanted the popups gone and I couldn't solve it just using color keyboard
I once used Color keyboard and applied the black MacBook Pro keyboard on my iPhone. It worked perfectly, I just had to switch the "y" and "z" keys, because I used the QWERTZ keyboard. But anyway, there was also an option to change the popups, which I did. you could just replace the popup picture files with transparent png files.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods